Re: [patriotzip] The Loss Is On The Offensive Game Plan

  • David Price
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
      That was an awful performance in a very winnable game.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "David Price" <castsashadow@...>
        wrote:

        > That was an awful performance in a very winnable game.

        Did you miss that the 2007 NFL Defensive Player of the year was
        consistently over the top behind that CB? How about those
        inexperienced DBs being part of the 3rd best pass defense in the NFL?
        Meanwhile the Colts are 25th against the run. The Pats players and
        coaches made a lot of mistakes today, but the game plan was sound.
        That game plan put us in a position to win, but we screwed up at key
        times. For instance, we were driving with a 3rd and an inch coming up
        when one of our tight ends decided it was a great time to lay out a
        defensive end after the play. Not only did we kill our chances to
        convert and keep a promising drive alive, but the penalty also pushed
        us out of field goal range. We were consistently driving the ball at
        that point. Before that penalty, the Colts defense hadn't been able
        to stop us in the second half.

        Belichick's use of that 3rd time out looked questionable to me too.
        The decision to kick a field goal instead of going for it on 4th and
        short was questionable. Gaffney's drop was costly. I'm sure there's a
        lot more that I forgot. But the offensive game plan was working.

        Scott Sheaffer

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
          ***** If anybody wants to disagree, fine. But nobody will convince me that
          the pathetically conservative game plan, with the Colts playing with
          incredibly inexperienced CBs, didn't cost us this game.

          Well since you aren't open for discussion on the topic, if I read your note
          correctly, I won't discuss it with you. I think we outgained the Colts
          total and on the ground where we exploited them nicely. I think our
          offensive unit had generally steady drives, long drives and were very well
          poised to win the game if they didn't make several mistakes. There were
          small issues I have with the game plan for certain - it was a more
          conservative approach for the most part but it certainly seemed effective in
          keeping Manning off the field and moving the chains.

          There's a handful of plays which swung this game and they all were easy to
          begin second guessing immediately but ultimately all had enough reasonable
          aspects behind them I can't really dispute the approach.

          Going for two was the conservative exception and I sure wish I could know if
          he made it or not as that was a game swinger.

          Imagine if we challenge that play we don't have the time-out that halted our
          4th down conversion. For the record Bellichick claimed that on that play
          they had been given the indication it was inches and when it was finaloly
          set at more than 1 yard, he changed to going for the points. Not horrible
          except that we saw he had made it.