Re: [patriotzip] The Loss Is On The Offensive Game Plan

  • David Price
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
      That was an awful performance in a very winnable game.
      ***** If anybody wants to disagree, fine. But nobody will convince me that the pathetically conservative game plan, with the Colts playing with incredibly inexperienced CBs, didn't cost us this game. I don't give a damn about the cover 2 defense. You MUST throw at those CBs when you have a Randy Moss to throw to. This was pathetic coaching!

      George

      I'm a Patriots fan. My glass is always half full!

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
        ***** If anybody wants to disagree, fine. But nobody will convince me that the pathetically conservative game plan, with the Colts playing with incredibly inexperienced CBs, didn't cost us this game. I don't give a damn about the cover 2 defense. You MUST throw at those CBs when you have a Randy Moss to throw to. This was pathetic coaching!

        George

        I'm a Patriots fan. My glass is always half full!

      • Scott Sheaffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
          --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "David Price" <castsashadow@...>
          wrote:

          > That was an awful performance in a very winnable game.

          Did you miss that the 2007 NFL Defensive Player of the year was
          consistently over the top behind that CB? How about those
          inexperienced DBs being part of the 3rd best pass defense in the NFL?
          Meanwhile the Colts are 25th against the run. The Pats players and
          coaches made a lot of mistakes today, but the game plan was sound.
          That game plan put us in a position to win, but we screwed up at key
          times. For instance, we were driving with a 3rd and an inch coming up
          when one of our tight ends decided it was a great time to lay out a
          defensive end after the play. Not only did we kill our chances to
          convert and keep a promising drive alive, but the penalty also pushed
          us out of field goal range. We were consistently driving the ball at
          that point. Before that penalty, the Colts defense hadn't been able
          to stop us in the second half.

          Belichick's use of that 3rd time out looked questionable to me too.
          The decision to kick a field goal instead of going for it on 4th and
          short was questionable. Gaffney's drop was costly. I'm sure there's a
          lot more that I forgot. But the offensive game plan was working.

          Scott Sheaffer

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
            ***** If anybody wants to disagree, fine. But nobody will convince me that
            the pathetically conservative game plan, with the Colts playing with
            incredibly inexperienced CBs, didn't cost us this game.

            Well since you aren't open for discussion on the topic, if I read your note
            correctly, I won't discuss it with you. I think we outgained the Colts
            total and on the ground where we exploited them nicely. I think our
            offensive unit had generally steady drives, long drives and were very well
            poised to win the game if they didn't make several mistakes. There were
            small issues I have with the game plan for certain - it was a more
            conservative approach for the most part but it certainly seemed effective in
            keeping Manning off the field and moving the chains.

            There's a handful of plays which swung this game and they all were easy to
            begin second guessing immediately but ultimately all had enough reasonable
            aspects behind them I can't really dispute the approach.

            Going for two was the conservative exception and I sure wish I could know if
            he made it or not as that was a game swinger.

            Imagine if we challenge that play we don't have the time-out that halted our
            4th down conversion. For the record Bellichick claimed that on that play
            they had been given the indication it was inches and when it was finaloly
            set at more than 1 yard, he changed to going for the points. Not horrible
            except that we saw he had made it.