Standing Up

  • kevin M
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
      I am not a football expert. I can't comment on who is better at a
      certain position, or who should have been blocking that guy, and why
      doesn't that guy catch it, or this guy did that on purpose. I watch
      because I love to watch football. Yes, maybe that was a dirty hit and
      the guy did it on purpose. Maybe not. I can't tell because I can't
      read his mind. Over the many years (45) I have been watching & playing
      football, I have seen many horrific and disgusting things; some were
      intentional, most were not. My point is, this is a violent contact
      sport, human error is involved, and there are so many inescapable
      events that occur during any single play that are beyond the control of
      human beings. Field conditions change. Weather. Emotions. Noise.
      Equipment failure. Health. A single misstep can ruin a career. So
      why do we keep watching? Because it is also beautiful. The timing.
      The effort. The matchups. The strategies. Power vs will. Brain vs
      brawn. The outcome cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy. They have
      to play the game, and we have to watch them, because that's how we find
      things out. We are curious, smart, emotional, violent creatures. The
      NFL is like a lot of little nations at war with one another, and we are
      the citizens of those nations, and the games are like battles. The
      object is to survive to the end. I hope we win.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
        Today we got some MAJOR help, with the Jills going down to the Jets---now they are tied and we can claim first if we beat the Nags later tonight. I think that we can with Cassell showing improvements and it doesn't hurt that the Nags aren't quite the same as last year either.
        GOOOOOOOOOO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
          Some nice sentiments in that note - thanks for sharing.

          I expect taht while we all have variations to the theme of why we watch, most of us are on here because we do indeed enjoy appreciating the game on many levels and sharing our opinions of what we experience.

          For me I love that all range of physical battles take place from the strength on strength of enormous men to the speed and dexterity of agile athletics.  I love the scheming and many reasons for approaching things in different ways as is evidenced even on here by the many disagreements on subtle points.  I love the motivation of people to achieve more than most expect they can and to develop as a team in that process.