RE: [patriotzip] The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (49ers)

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
      ***** They're always good, Dave; but this was one of your best. (The fact that it agreed with most of what I said has no influence on that evaluation, of course.) :-)

      ****** I am especially happy to see that you appear to ready to sign up as a member of "The Ghost Boosters". Is this kid heading for a great career, or what?

      ***** In my earlier comments, I didn't mention the great games turned in by Faulk (which you noted) or Welker (which you also left out). I guess that's because we've all become so used to seeing these two guys consistently do so much more than they get enough credit for. Faulk is so much like Troy Brown that's it's scary. Both have given us the critical conversion on 3rd down; the big punt return when when we need it; and the "juice" play to spark the team when things seem to be dragging. The stats that show up in the summaries just never say enough about what players like Brown and Faulk do for a team!

      ***** You also agreed with my regret and concern over our failure to "finish" with the pass rush. It continues to frustrate the hell out of me that nearly every time we get close to a QB he slides away to either throw a completion, throw the ball away, or scramble for a few yards. We are way, way short of the sack total we should have.

      ***** Finally, one comment on your "Ugly" list. What bugged me most about the direct snap to Faulk play was that the announcing crew, as happens all too often, showed their lack of knowledge and research on the Patriots. They commented that the Patriots had "learned from what the Dolphins did" with their direct snap plays. First of all, as just about everyone in this Group knows, the Patriots have been using that play, with Brady and Faulk, for YEARS! Secondly, it bore no resemblance at all to the Dolphins "single wing" formation, since there is no QB in the backfield for that Dolphins set up. That was some of the worst commentary I've seen in years! I can't believe that these guys get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a season, and demonstrate such ignorance of the teams they're supposed to study!

      George

      Vote McCain - Preserve America!

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
        "Dave Levine"
        > - Raise your hand if you called the direct snap to Faulk. Thought
        > so. How can everyone on this list know it's coming but SF missed it?

        Um...because....SF doesn't....read this list?

        Erdoboy
      • A Andrews
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008

          "Dave Levine"

          > - Raise your hand if you called the direct snap to Faulk. Thought
          > so. How can everyone on this list know it's coming but SF missed it?

          Um...because....SF doesn't....read this list?

          Erdoboy

                        Did u hear the announcers act as if that was the first time we ever ran that play and said that we “learned” something form the Miami game?

           Art

          __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3503 (20081008) __________

          http://www.eset.com
        • llj7366@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
            I could add to your ugly.  I was at the game in SF, that was not ugly.  And seeing Steve Young was not ugly but the stadium was archaic and their jumbo tron was only about as big as the TV at Zip's house.  I know his TV is huge but not so much for a stadium.  And the crowd was pretty nasty from time to time.  I was glad that I was in a big crowd of Pat's fans because the SF fans behind us got a little abusive from time to time.  I am very appreciative of our stadium after being at the Candlestick.
            Lisa

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
              Ugly fans! At least we don't have any of those!

            • llj7366@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
                Maybe, I should clarify.  The fans that were being obnoxious were intimidating to me.  It was not in good fun.  I know we have creeps at our stadium too but to be honest in all of the away games that I have attended I have never been treated in such a harsh manner.

                Ugly fans! At least we don't have any of those!

                --- In patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com, llj7366@... wrote:

                > I could add to your ugly.? I was at the game in SF, that was not
                ugly.? And seeing Steve Young was not ugly but the stadium was
                archaic and their jumbo tron was only about as big as the TV at Zip's
                house.? I know his TV is huge but not so much for a stadium.? And the
                crowd was pretty nasty from time to time.? I was glad that I was in?a
                big crowd of Pat's fans because the SF fans behind us got a little
                abusive from time to time.? I am very appreciative of our stadium
                after being at the Candlestick.
                > Lisa

              • erdoboy_patsfan
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
                  "kevin M" wrote:

                  > Ugly fans! At least we don't have any of those!

                  I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one and assume
                  you are joking. Because I have seen some real dogs at Gillette. One of
                  them sits in section 106. And once the beer gets flowing there are, at
                  times, some really ugly fans.

                  Erdoboy