The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (49ers)

  • Dave Levine
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
      The Good
      - Cassel played relatively well. His TD to Moss was beautiful and he
      made some other very nice plays. He hit Gaffney on 2 key 3rd down
      conversions, both of which were nice throws. Only 1 of the 2 picks
      was his fault as he was hammered on the first one. He also missed a
      couple of open guys because he doesn't go through all his
      progressions. Looks 1, 2, 3 but never comes back to 1 if he has
      time. That will come with time however.
      - Ghost is turning into a stud. He has given BB much more confidence
      to say that we will go for the FG when 50 yards out or less. He has
      a tremendous leg that he is using on kickoffs to eliminate the
      return. That is a big weapon in the field position battle.
      - Rodney played very well. He had a pick, a deflection for a pick
      and then caused an incompletion through intimidation.
      - Our D, after a rough start, finally stepped up and came up with
      some stops. The possession battle was won partly because the O
      played well but the D was able to stop SF repeatedly.
      - Moss looks happy again. Going deep to him certainly helps, even if
      it's not completed.
      - Faulk had a very nice game. Ran the direct snap to perfection and
      ended up scoring twice. He is a big weapon for this team and is
      underrated.
      - The DL created all sorts of pressure on the QB, forcing him to run
      for his life on quite a few occasions.

      The Bad
      - The blame falls both on the OL and the QB but we are giving up way
      to many sacks. In some cases, the OL is just letting guys though and
      giving Cassel no time. In others, Cassel just has to learn to throw
      the ball away. He is holding it way too long and then is forced to
      eat it. Get rid of it. The OL needs to get back to basics and block.
      - This is the 2nd week in a row that I am only reminded of how close
      we were in the SB. Merriweather gets another INT, this one very
      impressive while laying on his back but could catch the one that hit
      him in the hands during the SB. I hope I am reminded every week
      though.
      - We are getting some pressure on the QB but we need to finish the
      deal and sack him. We seem to be coming in too fast so one move gets
      him free. Line him up and tackle, don't punish.

      The Ugly
      - I hit send but somehow the report never went. Or to be more exact,
      the report went but no words were attached. No backup copy. Nothing
      in the sent mail folder either. This is being done from memory as
      best I can.
      - Raise your hand if you called the direct snap to Faulk. Thought
      so. How can everyone on this list know it's coming but SF missed it?
      - Sage Rosenfelds sucks. He, single handedly cost the team the game.
      - Al Davis needs to crawl back into his casket and go away forever.
      - What is going on this year. Miami over SD? Arizona over Buffalo?
      Pittsburgh winning with a pathetic OL?
      - Our most effective RB again goes down with an injury. Morris last
      year. Jordan this year.

      Dave
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
        ***** They're always good, Dave; but this was one of your best. (The fact that it agreed with most of what I said has no influence on that evaluation, of course.) :-)

        ****** I am especially happy to see that you appear to ready to sign up as a member of "The Ghost Boosters". Is this kid heading for a great career, or what?

        ***** In my earlier comments, I didn't mention the great games turned in by Faulk (which you noted) or Welker (which you also left out). I guess that's because we've all become so used to seeing these two guys consistently do so much more than they get enough credit for. Faulk is so much like Troy Brown that's it's scary. Both have given us the critical conversion on 3rd down; the big punt return when when we need it; and the "juice" play to spark the team when things seem to be dragging. The stats that show up in the summaries just never say enough about what players like Brown and Faulk do for a team!

        ***** You also agreed with my regret and concern over our failure to "finish" with the pass rush. It continues to frustrate the hell out of me that nearly every time we get close to a QB he slides away to either throw a completion, throw the ball away, or scramble for a few yards. We are way, way short of the sack total we should have.

        ***** Finally, one comment on your "Ugly" list. What bugged me most about the direct snap to Faulk play was that the announcing crew, as happens all too often, showed their lack of knowledge and research on the Patriots. They commented that the Patriots had "learned from what the Dolphins did" with their direct snap plays. First of all, as just about everyone in this Group knows, the Patriots have been using that play, with Brady and Faulk, for YEARS! Secondly, it bore no resemblance at all to the Dolphins "single wing" formation, since there is no QB in the backfield for that Dolphins set up. That was some of the worst commentary I've seen in years! I can't believe that these guys get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a season, and demonstrate such ignorance of the teams they're supposed to study!

        George

        Vote McCain - Preserve America!

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
          "Dave Levine"
          > - Raise your hand if you called the direct snap to Faulk. Thought
          > so. How can everyone on this list know it's coming but SF missed it?

          Um...because....SF doesn't....read this list?

          Erdoboy
        • A Andrews
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008

            "Dave Levine"

            > - Raise your hand if you called the direct snap to Faulk. Thought
            > so. How can everyone on this list know it's coming but SF missed it?

            Um...because....SF doesn't....read this list?

            Erdoboy

                          Did u hear the announcers act as if that was the first time we ever ran that play and said that we “learned” something form the Miami game?

             Art

            __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3503 (20081008) __________

            http://www.eset.com
          • llj7366@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
              I could add to your ugly.  I was at the game in SF, that was not ugly.  And seeing Steve Young was not ugly but the stadium was archaic and their jumbo tron was only about as big as the TV at Zip's house.  I know his TV is huge but not so much for a stadium.  And the crowd was pretty nasty from time to time.  I was glad that I was in a big crowd of Pat's fans because the SF fans behind us got a little abusive from time to time.  I am very appreciative of our stadium after being at the Candlestick.
              Lisa

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
                Ugly fans! At least we don't have any of those!

              • llj7366@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
                  Maybe, I should clarify.  The fans that were being obnoxious were intimidating to me.  It was not in good fun.  I know we have creeps at our stadium too but to be honest in all of the away games that I have attended I have never been treated in such a harsh manner.

                  Ugly fans! At least we don't have any of those!

                  --- In patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com, llj7366@... wrote:

                  > I could add to your ugly.? I was at the game in SF, that was not
                  ugly.? And seeing Steve Young was not ugly but the stadium was
                  archaic and their jumbo tron was only about as big as the TV at Zip's
                  house.? I know his TV is huge but not so much for a stadium.? And the
                  crowd was pretty nasty from time to time.? I was glad that I was in?a
                  big crowd of Pat's fans because the SF fans behind us got a little
                  abusive from time to time.? I am very appreciative of our stadium
                  after being at the Candlestick.
                  > Lisa

                • erdoboy_patsfan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 8, 2008
                    "kevin M" wrote:

                    > Ugly fans! At least we don't have any of those!

                    I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one and assume
                    you are joking. Because I have seen some real dogs at Gillette. One of
                    them sits in section 106. And once the beer gets flowing there are, at
                    times, some really ugly fans.

                    Erdoboy