Re: [patriotzip] Improvement

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
      I agree too, shaky but I'll take it...at least we got some help from the Cardinals who beat the Jills. I don't like the Chargers, but I wish they would have come through against the Fish. I'll bet Eddie on here is livid over that one.
      We're not in first place, but are looking good so far...I only hope to be in the playoffs and not have that perfect record. Things worked last year for us but it was also alot of pressure and expectation.
      I'm happy with where we are now, just have to step things up a little bit with certain positions.
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
        Re: [patriotzip] Improvement I'm in concurrence with our man from the Far East, as usual.

        Some similar and a few other observations gleaned in a pub full of Pats fans gathered in Austin, reveling after the debacle of 2 weeks ago:

        • We give up the big play far too often--the secondary looks like Swiss Cheese fairly often.  It ends up making average QBs look great.
        • I too am a Ghost Booster.  That is one windy stadium, and 3/3 at any distance, including a pressure 49 yarder is no small feat.  3 touchbacks too.  My #4 jersey remains in my closet, inside out.  He is dead to me.
        • OK, I don't need the fumbles, or the picks, or 5 sacks but I am liking what I am seeing as Cassel develops.  As Mike Reiss points out, he has a "short memory" which is needed after a sack or a fumble.
        • The long ball to Moss was a gorgeous rainbow, perfectly thrown, perfectly caught and scary enough to make their secondary work a lot harder wondering from there on out how many times we might try that, even if we didn't.
        • More importantly, I like seeing Cassel go through reads and make a second or even third choice, or at least APPEAR to be making a 2nd choice.  Less of the locking on to a receiver and more looking downfield for viable options, thanks to...
        • Pretty solid protection most of the time, combined with a shotgun.  Cassel makes pretty good decisions, he just doesn't make them fast yet.  He needs a solid line giving him a good pocket, or a shotgun formation, or both to be able to pick his spots.
        • Why can't we sack or tackle?  Our D-line makes other O-lines look better than they are.

        Go Pats,
         Steve

        --
        Steve Basile
        Manager

        On 10/5/08 6:43 PM, "George" <patswingr@...> wrote:

        ***** I definitely saw improvement in Cassel today. Yes, he still has a lot of work to do on pocket presence, and the ability to find his secondary receivers. But he did throw a much broader variety of passes in this game than he has previously. He did make some excellent throws under pressure. He did continue to demonstrate a coolness in running the team. He gave me enough reason to continue to enjoy watching his development.

        ***** I continue to be disappointed with a couple of elements of the play of our defense. They seem, in every game, to be unable to consistently apply effective pressure on QBs. By that I mean that they too often fail to contain the QB, and allow him to buy time, and either scramble for positive yardage, or get the ball off as either a completed pass, or a throw away to avoid a sack.

        ***** The other element is the play of the secondary. We still seem to have people running free in the secondary far too often. Where's that "secondary genius" that we were told to expect from Dom Capers?

        ***** I must, of course, call for a standing ovation from the fan club I started, "The Ghost Boosters". How about our kicker?!! He now has 17 in a row, the last of which was that critical, game sealing, 48 yarder. Adam who?

        ***** All in all, an enjoyable game. We beat a team that we should have beaten. There's nothing wrong with that!

        George

        I'm a Patriots fan. My glass is always half full!

      • Mike Benson
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
          I watched the fish play, Susan. And the score was no fluke. This is a much improved team. Terrific defensive effort. And Pennington seems to be just what they needed. I see them easily winning eight games this year.