Re: Re: [patriotzip] Favre & the Jets

  • Mike Benson
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
      Thanks, George, that's what I kind of figured from the wording of the rule, but wasn't sure. It was strange though, I thought, that there was no penalty on the field.

      From: johnknowles1 <johnknowles1@ yahoo.com>
      Subject: [patriotzip] Favre & the Jets
      To: patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Monday, September 29, 2008, 5:02 PM

      I watched Favre match Joe Namath's record yesterday by throwing 6 TDs.
      He had never done that before, which surprised me. The Jets put up 56
      points and certainly didn't look like the same team that got spanked
      by the Chargers last Monday night. Now they go into a bye, giving
      Favre the time he needs to get up to speed on what's left of the
      playbook. These guys could be turning the corner. Between them and
      Buffalo (not to mention that Miami team that actually beat us), we
      have a lot of challenges ahead -- in our division alone.

    • Don Diamant
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008

        You are correct, there was no penalty flag, and apparently the officials missed that one.  Even the talking heads were complaining about the officials missing obvious calls in that game which is highly unusual as they typically blather on about the inane like they aren’t actually watching the game.

        Don

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
          I watched the replays right after the hit and I think you're right -- the hit that Rhodes put on Boldin from behind changed Boldin's trajectory and didn't give Smith time to adjust -- resulting in the facemask-to-facemask collision. I also think the replays were better viewed at full speed than slow motion because at full speed you really see that Smith, who clearly intended to break up the pass, really had no chance to alter his course once Boldin's course had changed. Besides, what defender in his right mind would want to smack facemask-to-facemask at that speed? It was brutal.

          I must admit that when both teams dropped to their knees and said a prayer for Boldin, my eyes welled up. I also read that Smith was bent over Boldin saying, "I love you, man... I love you, man." And that he's been trying to get in touch with Boldin to talk to him personally. I understand that the fine and suspension are virtually automatic, despite the fact that I really can't imagine it was ever intentional. So I feel for Smith because he seems like a compasionate man. And I'm still moved by that moment when both teams became brothers in prayer. It just goes to show that when something that scary happens, everyone suddenly comes together realizes it's only a game. Thank God Boldin is reported to be doing well. (As I dab a final tear.)

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
            Very nice sentiments, Jane. I think there's a very easy way to measure intent, and you kind of hit on it with what you said. When a defender does a fragrant "Jack Tatum" on a receiver, you're sure to see fights breaking out immediately among the players and a pretty raucous crowd. But when a nasty hit is an unavoidable and unintentional result of a player doing his job to the best of his ability, you're more likely to see players join hands in prayer and the crowd hold its breath in silence. Hell, there wasn't even a flag thown in this case. None of which means I'm saying that off-the-field penalties mandated by the helmet-to-helmet rule should be changed. I'm just saying it sure must help those involved to feel compassion in the aftermath. It's great to hear Boldin is doing well.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
              It appears your analysis of the hit on Boldin was right. Larry. At least according to Mike Sando at ESPN, who wrote:

              "Jets safety Kerry Rhodes hit Boldin from behind on the play in question, sending the receiver's head more directly into the path of Smith's helmet."

              The entire article is at: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcwest/0-4-3/Boldin-situation-triggers-blame-game.html

              It's an interesting piece that focuses more on the coaches' responsibilities in playing so hard in a game that's clearly lost. It also talks about other controversial hits this season, including Brady's.

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
                That's exactly the way I saw the hit happen too!

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008

                  There is risk involved with every play.  I never want to see any team quit just because there is risk involved.  I don’t even like the kneel downs that are taken when a team has more points and there is little time left.

                  I like the way the AFL does it.  In the last minute of the half if the team in possession of the ball doesn’t gain positive yardage the clock stops.  That to me would be a welcome addition to the NFL rules.  It certainly would make the games more exciting.