Favre & the Jets

  • johnknowles1
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 29, 2008
      I watched Favre match Joe Namath's record yesterday by throwing 6 TDs.
      He had never done that before, which surprised me. The Jets put up 56
      points and certainly didn't look like the same team that got spanked
      by the Chargers last Monday night. Now they go into a bye, giving
      Favre the time he needs to get up to speed on what's left of the
      playbook. These guys could be turning the corner. Between them and
      Buffalo (not to mention that Miami team that actually beat us), we
      have a lot of challenges ahead -- in our division alone.
    • Larry Lawrence
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 30, 2008
        I watched the Jet game too and I saw that big hit on Boldin at the end of the game. Although their was no penalty for helmet -to-helmet contact against Smith at the time, I read today that the NFL fined Smith $50,000 and suspended him for one game. That surprised me, because when I watched the replays and watched it again today on You Tube, it seemed clear that Rhodes hit Boldin from behind a split second before Smith, knocking him to the right. So when Smith hit him, it seemed unavoidable to collide with Boldin any other way. In fact, it wasn't helmet-to-helmet contact as much as it was facemask-to-facemask, and nobody wants to hit a guy like that. But I'm not clear on the rule on this. Do you get penalized whether it's unintentional or not? Anybody know?

        You can watch it here at:
        ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWDA67sdfPg

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 30, 2008
          I agree with your analysis of how the hit went down, Larry. But from what I could dig up,

          Smith's actions still violated Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8(g) of the NFL Official Playing Rules, which prohibit:

          "... using any part of a player's helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/'hairline' parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily; although such violent or unnecessary use of the helmet is impermissible against any opponent, game officials will give special attention in administering this rule to protect those players who are in virtually defenseless postures."

          I'm no expert, but the rule mentions nothing about intent. That being the case, I guess they can fine and suspend Smith as they see fit, although I undertand the Jets are appealing it. I'd be interested to know on what grounds.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 30, 2008

            I don’t see how you can really take anything from that poor quality video.  They do fine players when the hit is unintentional; they have to as the results are just too often catastrophic.  That said, based on the video I saw on HD TV I thought it was helmet to helmet contact.  The WR is looking at the ball so he can’t even see the defender so he’s not going to even know what hit him.  The defender though, is looking at the WR all the way to him, he’s the only one who can avoid the head to head contact.  Regardless of the speed he should be able to move his head out of the way as he had enough time to adjust, it wasn’t like he was looking away and turned at the very last second to see the receiver, he was facing him all the way in to the contact.  I agree with the NFL on the fine and suspension of the player.

            .

          • Mike Benson
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 30, 2008
              I saw it in HD too and I agree with Larry's analysis. However, as I said before, I'm no expert, but the rule mentions nothing about intent. That being the case, I agree with you, Don, I guess they can fine and suspend Smith as they see fit.

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 30, 2008
                You get penalized when you hurt a player in any "questionable" contact situation, unless the injured player is a Patriot. I believe that is written in Goodell's personal rule book!

                George

                I'm a Patriots fan. My glass is always half full!

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
                  Thanks, George, that's what I kind of figured from the wording of the rule, but wasn't sure. It was strange though, I thought, that there was no penalty on the field.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008

                    You are correct, there was no penalty flag, and apparently the officials missed that one.  Even the talking heads were complaining about the officials missing obvious calls in that game which is highly unusual as they typically blather on about the inane like they aren’t actually watching the game.

                    Don

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
                      I watched the replays right after the hit and I think you're right -- the hit that Rhodes put on Boldin from behind changed Boldin's trajectory and didn't give Smith time to adjust -- resulting in the facemask-to-facemask collision. I also think the replays were better viewed at full speed than slow motion because at full speed you really see that Smith, who clearly intended to break up the pass, really had no chance to alter his course once Boldin's course had changed. Besides, what defender in his right mind would want to smack facemask-to-facemask at that speed? It was brutal.

                      I must admit that when both teams dropped to their knees and said a prayer for Boldin, my eyes welled up. I also read that Smith was bent over Boldin saying, "I love you, man... I love you, man." And that he's been trying to get in touch with Boldin to talk to him personally. I understand that the fine and suspension are virtually automatic, despite the fact that I really can't imagine it was ever intentional. So I feel for Smith because he seems like a compasionate man. And I'm still moved by that moment when both teams became brothers in prayer. It just goes to show that when something that scary happens, everyone suddenly comes together realizes it's only a game. Thank God Boldin is reported to be doing well. (As I dab a final tear.)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
                        Very nice sentiments, Jane. I think there's a very easy way to measure intent, and you kind of hit on it with what you said. When a defender does a fragrant "Jack Tatum" on a receiver, you're sure to see fights breaking out immediately among the players and a pretty raucous crowd. But when a nasty hit is an unavoidable and unintentional result of a player doing his job to the best of his ability, you're more likely to see players join hands in prayer and the crowd hold its breath in silence. Hell, there wasn't even a flag thown in this case. None of which means I'm saying that off-the-field penalties mandated by the helmet-to-helmet rule should be changed. I'm just saying it sure must help those involved to feel compassion in the aftermath. It's great to hear Boldin is doing well.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
                          It appears your analysis of the hit on Boldin was right. Larry. At least according to Mike Sando at ESPN, who wrote:

                          "Jets safety Kerry Rhodes hit Boldin from behind on the play in question, sending the receiver's head more directly into the path of Smith's helmet."

                          The entire article is at: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcwest/0-4-3/Boldin-situation-triggers-blame-game.html

                          It's an interesting piece that focuses more on the coaches' responsibilities in playing so hard in a game that's clearly lost. It also talks about other controversial hits this season, including Brady's.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008

                              There is risk involved with every play.  I never want to see any team quit just because there is risk involved.  I don’t even like the kneel downs that are taken when a team has more points and there is little time left.

                              I like the way the AFL does it.  In the last minute of the half if the team in possession of the ball doesn’t gain positive yardage the clock stops.  That to me would be a welcome addition to the NFL rules.  It certainly would make the games more exciting.