Am I A Traitor?

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2008
      ***** This note is the second consecutive thing I've seen from Commissioner Goodell with which I totally agree! ...

      Goodell Implements New Fan Code Of Conduct

      Source: Associated Press, Sportsline.com

      On Tuesday the NFL announced a new code of fan conduct for attendees to NFL games that aims to reduce behavior that 'detracts from the gameday experience.' The code includes bans on unruly behavior, drunkeness, foul language, and game interference.'

      The other item was that he is urging a move to transfer at least one, possibly two games from pre-season to regular season games.

      Two in a row! Does this make me a traitor to our Patriots?

      George

      “I think it’s easier to jump ship than to right the ship.” - Tedy Bruschi

    • Larry Lawrence
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2008
        Hi. I'm new here. And I think these two items from the commissioner are great additions. I hate when you bring kids to any professional sports event and there is foul language all around. Predictably, too much drinking is also involved.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2008
          ***** Some in this group have attended Patriots games, as well as pre and post game tailgates with me. They can all tell you that I pretty much match anybody "beer-for-beer" in day before parties, and post game tailgates. But I NEVER drink before or during a Patriots game! I even follow the same rule when I'm home watching a game alone (with the slight modification that I do pop open a beer when a game is truly locked up, late in the 4th quarter - not often for our "heart attack" Pats!).

          ***** I don't consider people who get drunk at games to be true fans. They're just drunks, looking for an excuse. A significant part of the fun of a game, IMO, is in paying very close attention to every nuance of every play. Not to mention REMEMBERING what you saw later! (But, yeah, there are definitely some late tailgate moments that are a bit cloudy for me!) :-)

          George - (who never drives to post game tailgates)

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2008
            Hi. I am happy to hear that something is finally being done in order to do something with worthless preseason games. Although it is important for the coaching staff to evaluate the team it is unfair that a fan should have to pay full price for "practice" games. For me I am a die hard Pats fan and any chance I get to see any of the players take the field is great but for a casual fan who just wants to take their kids to see a game  they want to see the starters play not a rookie trying to make the grade. With more regular season games it would provide fans more chances to see their favorite players play the whole game not just the a series or two and would provide more excitement and competition later on into the season.

            As far as the booze rule is concerned. I doubt it will have any effect and if it does it will be minimal. Selling alcohol at games is about making money. The more people drink the more money is being made. Cutting people off that are already drunk will have a minimal effect on wallets and the fan experience. I think they should have some sort of a cut off system where the limit is say four you work your way up to four stamps and then your done. That would certainly help but will unlikely happen because of the money issue.

            Billy
            GO PATS!!!!!!!

            .

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2008
              About the drinking... I have certainly done my fair share of drinking before, during and after the games.  And I do consider myself a "true fan" but with that said as I grow older I don't drink as much.  But I honestly don't think the issue of drinking during the games will help because most people drink so much before they even get into the stadium that drinking during the game really doesn't matter.  I know the men that sit behind me are usually so drunk by the time they get into the game that they barely see any of the game.  I am not sure it will make much difference with the new rule, but time will tell.
              Just my opinion...
              Lisa

            • Don Diamant
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6, 2008

                Curbing drinking during the game would likely have little effect on drunkenness as the worst offenders are already hot from the tailgate when they enter the stadium.  It may help with a few of the problem people but not many of the unruly fans which fortunately in Foxboro are few these days.  The Krafts have certainly done a lot to change the image of not only the stadium but the fans as well, success can do that.  For those teams for whom success on the field is not so important, or for whom it will take time to see the results of their rebuilding, having the NFL recognize problems and create a policy and enforcement of the policy is a good move for the league and the fans.  That said drinking is not evil and those who do are not defacto bad people.  Alcohol doesn’t make people bad but it can help some people to amplify their character flaws in unpleasant ways.  It is possible to drink and not utter foul language that would make a sailor blush.  It is possible to drink and be amiable and even out right friendly, possibly too friendly.  It is even possible to drink and remember what you did and saw the next day.  However drinking to excess can make even a person with good character look considerably foolish and embarrassing.  But if there were rules against acting foolish and being an embarrassment what would we do with most of the “Superfans”?  In case my point was lost in all this gibberish it’s ban the behavior and not the poor excuse, drinking.  I’d hate to not have a sip of cold beer to soothe my throat in between yelling when my defense is on the field.

                I want to know when they are going to ban the people who sit completely silent when my defense is on the field; even the drunks make some noise up until they pass out. J

                Don

              • Mike Benson
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 6, 2008
                  I just hope that this season security tosses loud, foul-mouthed fans (drunk or otherwise) the hell out of the stadium posthaste. No parent should have to sit there with his or her kids and endure such behavior while trying to enjoy the game.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 6, 2008

                    Toss fans for being loud?  Are you serious?  Are you one of the bumps on a log or did I miss take your comments?  It’s football man if you don’t like it loud find another sport like basketball or baseball better golf you’ll find plenty of quite fans with those sports.  Foul mouthed is another matter, I don’t support that who could?

                    Don