Monday 8/3 PM practice

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2008
      Hey all,

      My first practice ... sat in 105 with the Offense. No Pollard, Harrison or James Sanders as well as the PUP guys.

      - Wes Welker owned the practice. He left several DB in their tracks. He particularly abused Mike Richardson. The only DB that stayed with him was Wilhite (I was impressed with him).

      - Slater took a KO return for a TD. Juked Gostkowski out of his shorts

      - Connolly on 1st KO return as well as Izzo.

      - Guyton played same position as Izzo on the 2nd KO team and interior of Punt coverage team. Aikem was the blocking back on the Punt coverage.

      - Hanson shanked at least 3 punts ... cause for concern!

      - Alexander had two Int's, one was a tip that landed in his lap.

      - Guyton was not out there in the 7 on 7 drills. Which leads me to believe that he is a 1st or 2nd down guy and not a coverage ILB.

      - 11 on 11 simulation of a 2 minute drill had Mayo and Tank ILB. Mayo is damn quick and his reactions are terrific. He can cover a back out of the backfield. He made a good play while trailing TE Thomas down the middle. Thomas got one hand on the ball and Mayo drilled him. Later Watson beat him down the seam but dropped a sure TD.

      - Aiken's size and receiving ability are impressive. Chad Jackson may be in trouble. He was on the 2nd KO team as the deep back and also fielded some punts, but was not impressive.

      - On one play we had four rookies at LB Redd and Crable OLB and Mayo and Guyton ILB's. Crable has incredibly skinny lower legs, but he was able to hold the edge and force a run inside.

      - Near the end of practice, Wilhite came up lame after a breakup of a pass to Welker in the endzone. Jordan also was hobbling after a run, but stuck it out and contniued to play.

      - Defense had a coverage sack of Brady, none of the other three QB's were impressive. O'Connell was especially brutal.

      - Did I mention Randy Moss? I failed to mention him! He made a great catch for a TD and another highlight catch on the far sideline keeping both feet inbound.

      - New #69 must be reclimation project Welbourn (G/T) KC Chiefs. No Light or O'Callahan at either practices. Cause for concern on the OL? 1st team was Kaczur LT, Mankins LG, Koppen C, Yates RG, Britt RT.

      - No Eckel, Webster tonight either

      well thats all folks ...
    • Jennifer
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2008
        Does anyone know how Lamont Jordan has been doing since joining the
        Patriots.

        I Have not read anything about his practices or workouts the PATS.
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2008
          He is going to be a monster inside the 20.  He is running hard, and catching the ball well out of the backfield.  He'll get those tough yards that we haven't seen in a while.  He looked good tonight.  Tweaked a hamstring a bit, coming up a little gingerly after a run but stretched out and stayed out and continued to practice.

          "It's beocome quite apparent, Bill Belichick could put Diet Pepsi Machine in his secondary and everything will still be copasetic." - Rich Eisen NFL Network

        • llj7366@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
            He looked good to me yesterday.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
              Interesting comment, Mark. As soon as we signed Jordan, I began to wonder how he and Morris will be used. It sounds like Morris may be the #2 guy between the 20's; with Jordan getting that job inside the 20. Morris can catch the ball, but isn't as good a receiver as Jordan; and isn't as quick. Both of those qualities are really critical in the RZ. This is a very impressive backfield right now, in terms of depth and versatility.

              I'm in heaven with all those rookie LBs in camp. I wish I could see pre-season games here; but I won't get anything until the season begins. ... I just realized that I have to check for 'streaming' on PS games. There may be some available.

              George

              “I think it’s easier to jump ship than to right the ship.” - Tedy Bruschi

              He is going to be a monster inside the 20.  He is running hard, and catching the ball well out of the backfield.  He'll get those tough yards that we haven't seen in a while.  He looked good tonight.  Tweaked a hamstring a bit, coming up a little gingerly after a run but stretched out and stayed out and continued to practice.

              "It's beocome quite apparent, Bill Belichick could put Diet Pepsi Machine in his secondary and everything will still be copasetic." - Rich Eisen NFL Network

              Does anyone know how Lamont Jordan has been doing since joining the
              Patriots.

              I Have not read anything about his practices or workouts the PATS.

            • Mike Benson
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
                How old is Jordon now, anyway?

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
                  Jordan will be 30 this year, in November. Are you concerned about his
                  age? We have players who play younger than they are, like Bruschi and
                  Vrable. The Raiders were foolish to let this guy go. It was the
                  Raiders, right? I hope so! LOL
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
                    ***** Jordan is listed as 30, entering his 8th season. That's not young for a RB; but it's not past retirement age either. He should have a couple of good years left, as long as he isn't "the man", getting 25-30 carries per game. That will not be the case here. So,  based upon what I've read about his performance in camp thus far, he should be able to help us this year.

                    George

                    “I think it’s easier to jump ship than to right the ship.” - Tedy Bruschi

                    He is going to be a monster inside the 20.  He is running hard, and catching the ball well out of the backfield.  He'll get those tough yards that we haven't seen in a while.  He looked good tonight.  Tweaked a hamstring a bit, coming up a little gingerly after a run but stretched out and stayed out and continued to practice.

                    "It's beocome quite apparent, Bill Belichick could put Diet Pepsi Machine in his secondary and everything will still be copasetic." - Rich Eisen NFL Network

                    Does anyone know how Lamont Jordan has been doing since joining the
                    Patriots.

                    I Have not read anything about his practices or workouts the PATS.

                  • J.E. Travers
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
                      Not as much concerned as curious. It seems like ages ago that the Jets drafted him. But time flies - especially in the NFL.