Mrs B's Training Camp Report 07/25/08

  • Karen Cardoza
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2008

      MrsB's Training Camp Report 07/25/08

      Hi Kids,

      I just got in, took care of the dogs and grabbed a much needed bite to eat (Note to self: remember to eat lunch next time and bring some snacks) so it's a little late in coming but here goes:

      I'm kicking off the season with my usual disclaimer:

      I'm just a fan like everyone else and  I'm not an expert by any means.  There's plenty that I don't know and I continue to learn something new every day.  I just happen to live close enough to camp and don't work during the summer so I'm fortunate to be able to attend every session. Admittedly, my reports will be Bruschi biased. (Hey.. I'm a Bruschi Backer and old habits are hard to break!) I don't have wireless access at camp nor do I  have access to players, press releases or press conferences so I can only report what I happen to observe. There are lots of things going on at once so I may not even catch "the play of the day" while looking at something else or may even get things wrong. Also, by the time I drive home and make my posts, it's possible that I may not even have anything unique to add. With that being said, I'm happy to share my observations and thoughts with you for what they're worth.

      And now…. Let Mrs. B's Annual Training Camp Reports begin!

      I headed out early for the afternoon session and the weather was perfect: 75, sunny, no humidity (except on the grass where the soggy field soon made it feel like a steam bath.)  Guys were in full pads for the 3rd practice in a row. I grabbed my usual spot on the hill near the media tent and said hello to many of the folks that have seen me year after year. I felt choked up when I first sat down though, feeling the absence of Dan Pires. He will certainly be missed.

      Here are my take home points for today:

      • Ben Jarvus-Green Ellis (I still chuckle at the coincidence of his name) was off PUP and on the field but the remaining 11 are status quo. Seymour didn't practice. I was hoping to catch him and  check out the svelt bod that they were raving about yesterday. I did remark to Mike (from Sharon)  that I found it surprising that he wasn't one of the off season workout winners since he got himself into such great shape.
      • Adalius Thomas led the charge during the initial run during the stretching period.  (Meanwhile I was catching up with fellow Planeteers and helped Tom Curran out with a piece that he filmed for NBCsports.com that will be ready early next week.)
      • There was a lot of special teams work today and Chad Jackson (17), Matthew Slater (18), CJ Jones (19) and Terrance Wheatley (22),  saw lots of the return work action. Wheatley stood out to me.
      • The much anticipated pass protection, blitz pick-up drill reunited famed opponents Tedy Bruschi and Heath Evans perking up the crowd. Bru schooled Heath at one point with a twirling move but when he faced off against Sammy Morris, they connected and he practically leap frogged over the RB.  There was some helmet slapping and laughing going on and when the entire drill was done, Morris pretended to leap frog  over him. :-)  Over all, the LBs were much stronger in the drill with Mayo making a strong showing and Kevin Faulk not looking quite himself.
      • Tank Williams worked inside with Bruschi with the first team Mayo and Hobson worked at the inside position with the second team. Lots of scrimmage work focused on the run game.
      • During the passing portion, Gaffney was Brady's favorite receiver while Moss missed a long bomb much to the crowd's disappointment.
      • Practice ended with field goals in the opposite endzone, including one fake, and it looked like all but one were good from where I was located. I can't be sure however,  and it's times like this that "Zebra Days" come in handy.
      • To close practice, the vets ran sprints on the left field while the rookies continued to run through plays on the main field.
      • The big boys in blue, the DLine,  signed autographs today as did Randy Moss. Brady ran off towards the media while Tedy ran off to play with his boys. :-)

      There's no open practice tomorrow and it looks like I'll only  be able to attend Sunday MORNING due to a family commitment in the afternoon. (I may not even have time to get the AM report out before I have to go so just bear with me, please.)

      Tonight's podcast will be up…. later. I guarantee that there will be something I remember after I press publish but this will have to do for today.

      **One housekeeping note, the best and easiest way to get the reports as soon as they come out is to either subscribe in a feed reader using rss or simply add your email address to the form on the site and Feedburner will deliver the post to your email in-box.

      --
      Mrs. B (Karen)

      http://karenjcardoza.com
      (for links to PatriotWorld.com, Mrs. B's Patriot World Podcast, Patriots Training Camp Reports, Muse with Me Podcast, & The 25th Hour, )