Re: [patriotzip] Ben Watson

  • rockmaul74@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 9, 2008
      would like to say when i say "two greatest catches" i meant "of signifigance". while i can agree that the one vs indy in 91 didn't really amount to much, the one in 93 might have saved us from moving to st louis

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 9, 2008
        Dave Thomas has to have a healthy year to not get the dreaded injury prone tag from me.  He's not fantastically athletic but he has a quick bit of separation and a very intelligent approach to finding the holes.  Very soft hands really make him a non-fall down version of Christian "Fall Down" Fauria.

      • Dave.Machado@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 9, 2008
          I recall that catch by Bethel being just like described but he was in or real close to the red zone. I would put it with one of the best catches I ever saw and it was all the better because it set up an important score in that game. I think we were trailing at the time.

          Harry

          At 03:22 PM 7/9/2008 -0400, you wrote:

          The best catch of that whole era to me was the Ray Crittendon (81) catch in
          Miami in which he dove forward at a full sprint and caught the back and of
          the ball whild sliding to the corner and on of the endzone. That was a gem
          I may never recall.

          Ed Bryant tells me that Bethel Johnson made a similar catch (quality-wise)
          a few years ago but that was post complete blindness so I don't have it as
          well recalled.

          Go Pats
          Zip
          Old Home Week?

          Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music scene in your
          area - Check out TourTracker.com!

        • rockmaul74@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 9, 2008
            going to assume it was the catch vs seattle oct 17th 2004. i remember that game for a lot of reasons. one is the annoucers were constantly harping on how the redsox got thwaped 19-8 by the yankees last night and they were done (how'd that work out for them?) the second was johnson had been a healthy scracth the week before vs miami cause he was goofing off in practice

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 9, 2008

              ***** I, too, am impressed with the receiving talents I've seen Thomas demonstrate in his brief opportunities with the Patriots, as well as throughout his great career at Texas, Frank. I also have to agree with Randy's point about the relatively meager blocking skills of both Watson and Thomas. At this point, it does appear that we will be without the option of using the TE as a key blocker in plays, without "tipping it off" by replacing Watson or Thomas with a "blocking TE", as we had to do with K. Brady. While I don't see that as a crippling issue for our offense; but it does present a limitation I wish weren't present.

              George

              “I think it’s easier to jump ship than to right the ship.” - Tedy Bruschi

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 4, 2008
                Watson had the key block in our only touchdown - as reported to me from a
                few sources now. He's actually become a much better blocker and his
                athleticism remains high but since the elbow shot he took against Chicago a
                few years ago he just can't hang onto the ball. I'm not ready to give up on
                him at TE because he's doing all the little things of a tight end and still
                has so much threat as a receiver. he was the game plan against the Jets and
                it was working reasonably well...until he dropped a pair of balls. I'd put
                this guy on the Jugs machine every preactice and see if he can't do a turn
                around a la David Givens receiving ability...