Re: [patriotzip] Yeah, I saw Gillette!!

  • llj7366@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2008
      We just put up with it, Susan.  It is horrible.  It is especially horrible when you want to get in as a group and it is a nightmare to get out of there.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
        I guess that's all you can do huh? It's pretty far from any freeway or major access, but then when I had Rams tickets here in L.A. it was next to the freeway but would still clog up when they all tried to get out of the stadium.
        I was struck at how pretty Gillette is and how classy--the area around it is pretty too...sigh. I want to live back there.
        What are some of your stories about going to games there?

        Susan
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
          That's probably the last time you'll see Giants Stadium, Susan. I believe they're building the new Gliants/Jets Stadium on the same sight -- opening for the 2009 season (I think). Did you see the construction?

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
            I don't remember seeing any construction going on, but then it was from a distance going by on the freeway. I think that I was surprised (and gagged....) to see it because I didn't know we'd be driving by it, so I wasn't looking. It's in New Jersey and my kids were asking why the New York teams played in a stadium in New Jersey..don't know why. Land values maybe?
            Will they both play in the new one as well?
            Sure wish I could go to some Pats games, sigh--I can sense the new season's training camps coming up. There was that feeling in the air in Gillette's parking lot--warm summer days but fall football around the corner.
            PATS in 2009!!!

            Susan

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
              I googled some answers, Susan. And I was wrong. The new Giants stadium won't be ready till the 2010 season. And, yes, both the Jets and Giants will play there. In fact, they teamed up to pay for it. They seem to be putting a lot into getting fans in and out pretty quick. Access will come from 16 different major roads and highways, and bus service from Manhattan. Plus, they added a new railway line that drops fans at the front door. I saw some photos of the final design and it looked pretty cool. Those guys really need it. I didn't realize it, but right now they have the oldest stadium in the NFL.

[...]

            • Laureen Mazalewski Modder
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 11, 2008
                Yes, they're really in NJ for location.  There is no place in the state of NY which is closer to Manhattan and although the Jets tried, building a stadium in Manhattan is just not practical.  It's about a 15 minute drive from the city, particularly in the bus lanes and they're adding service from Jersey City/Hoboken to the stadium via both train and light rail and Newark via train.  NYC-Hoboken is about a 5 minute subway/ferry ride so for those people bus-adverse, it will be a great option.

                Also within the next few years, the Nets and Devils will be moving out of the Meadowlands area, so it will make more room for new construction and parking.

                They're also building lots of other stuff there - enormous mall, indoor ski slope, etc.  I'll be happy when the trains are built, as I try to avoid driving at all costs (I'm sure the 16-0 attendees remember the '10 minute trip' that took us over an hour due to traffic.  Ugh.)

                - L

                To: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com
                From: mbenson321@...
                Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:58:32 -0700

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 11, 2008
                  was that really an hour? With the pleasent company in our car it
                  seemed we were on the light rail traveling at light speed.
                  Actually I thought it was always that bad.

                  If they threaten to cut off the trains to Gilette then maybe Krafty
                  Bob needs to threaten to move the team to...Montana.

                  Erdoboy

                  --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Laureen Mazalewski Modder > I'm

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 11, 2008
                      ***** I'd suggest a hard look at the tax laws of the respective states. I have no idea what they are; but that is certainly a significant factor in any business decision. As a former resident of California, I can tell you that many manufacturing companies (including my own employer, Boeing) either moved out of, or decided not to locate in, California due to the enormous taxes (and environmental protection costs) imposed on businesses in that state.

                      ***** Wasn't the Mass tax structure also a major issue in the decisions of Patriots' owners to consider moving the team?

                      George

                      “I think it’s easier to jump ship than to right the ship.” - Tedy Bruschi

                      In a message dated 7/11/2008 2:30:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, l_mazalewski@ hotmail.com writes:

[...]

                      Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live music scene in your area - Check out TourTracker. com!

                    • Laureen Mazalewski Modder
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 11, 2008
                        There is certainly a lot more to NY than the city, but like it or not, that's where the money and companies are and where the future luxury seats and boxes will be sold.  Moving to Queens or outside of the city to LI, or upstate you're depriving the team of the ability to market easily to where the $ is. More than a 30 minute limo ride and no corporate types would go.

                        To: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 11, 2008
                          The building of the stadium is now projected at 1.8B, which each team picking up 580M and the state picking up the difference from what I last heard.  At least it wasn't a PILOT deal.  Loooove my taxes.

                          yahoogroups.com

[...]

                          Making the world a better place one message at a time. Check out the i’m Talkathon.