RE: [patriotzip] Re: Pats Undrafted Free Agents

    Message 1 of 18 , May 2, 2008
      ***** Yeah, yeah, I know it's a huge jump from NCAA to NFL, Randy. I was basing my comments upon the intensity displayed by Guyton on that particular play that Scott linked us to. That was one hell of a hit! As you said, he was selected by our well proven brain trust; so I suspect that they had seen more such hits and intensity from Guyton on other plays. In any case, since he's a LB, and I have an acknowledged man crush on all LBs, he's my guy from among all the UDFAs this season.

      ***** Vrabel did play some as a scrimmage LB for the Steelers. But he was primarily a STs guy, and backup LB. I remember thinking and, I believe, writing that he would be a great addition to our STs when we signed him. I did not expect him to deliver the outstanding play he has given us on the scrimmage defense. I place him in the top 5 of the FA acquisitions that BB and Pioli have made. I'd have to think a while as to the order, but the others in my top 5 FAs would be: Rodney Harrison, Adalius Thomas, Bobby Hamilton, and Corey Dillon. Of course, this list could be fairly quickly and easily expanded to a top ten; and, since it just came off the top of my head, is also subject to revision when somebody reminds me of an egregious oversight on my part. :-)

    • Mike Benson
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2008
        Am I watching the same tape as you guys? It looks like he just pushed the guy out of bounds to me. Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic.

        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2008
          <Mike> Am I watching the same tape as you guys? It looks like he just
          pushed the guy out of bounds to me. Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic.

          ************************

          It's not the ball carrier being pushed out of bounds. It's the block of
          a would be tackler by #58 (Guyton) at about the 38 yd line.

          fdb
        • kmacalp@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , May 4, 2008
            <George>***** OOPS! I forgot to add an important "Thank you!" to my note, Scott.
            Great video clip. Thanks for posting it!
            <Scott> No problem, George. As for what year the clip is from, I'm not sure. I'd guess it was 2004 or 05 when Guyton was a backup. He was a starter in 06 and 07, and in the latter season he was regarded as his team's best defensive player. He also played a little offense with 3 catches for 54 yards and a touchdown along with a couple of two point conversions.

            Scott Sheaffer

            Message 5 of 18 , May 4, 2008
              ***** Well, he can forget about catching passes here. Who ever heard of LB catching TD passes? ;-)

              Great video clip. Thanks for posting it!
              <Scott> No problem, George. As for what year the clip is from, I'm not sure. I'd guess it was 2004 or 05 when Guyton was a backup. He was a starter in 06 and 07, and in the latter season he was regarded as his team's best defensive player. He also played a little offense with 3 catches for 54 yards and a touchdown along with a couple of two point conversions.

              Scott Sheaffer

            • J.E. Travers
              Message 6 of 18 , May 5, 2008
                Oooooooooooh. Gotcha. Duh.