RE: [patriotzip] Re:Pats Undrafted Free Agents

    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2008
      ***** The strength issue doesn't bother me much. Working with an NFL caliber trainer can cure that in a hurry, as long as the player has the determination to work hard at it.

      ***** Speed, however, is far less liable to be significantly increased. I know that there are "speed coaches" who have helped players improve. But even they can't turn a slow guy into a fast guy. These 3 new Patriots rookies have the kind of speed I'd love to see on this team. But, as you said, Scott, we have to see if they can play at this level. Speed is great. But it, alone, will not earn anybody a spot on any NFL team.

      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2008
        <George> With my usual caveat (I have not seen him
        play), the information I read about this kid indicates to me that he could
        be a great candidate for STs on coverage teams. Speed, and leaping ability
        would indicate that he get downfield in a hurry. If he's a good open field
        tackler, he may be the guy to replace Izzo, either now, or after a year on
        the PS.
        <Scott> Actually there's a great highlight of Guyton playing special teams on youtube. This isn't on the coverage team though, it's on the return team, and no, he's not returning the ball. Check out the block Guyton, number 58, delivers near the 40 just as a tackler was closing on the return man, number 4.

        Scott Sheaffer

        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2008
          ***** CRUNCH! Number 4 got ... 'JACKED UP!" by Guyton. Now THAT is STs play! Yeah, I think this kid has a solid shot to make the team this year, if he brings that kind of intensity to STs.

          ***** Of course, I only want players to make it if they have outstanding ability. That said, how great would it be for the future of this team if Mayo, Crable, Ruud, and Guyton are all good enough to make the team? Set for years at LB, if they're good enough to make that happen.

          Message 4 of 18 , May 1, 2008
            ***** OOPS! I forgot to add an important "Thank you!" to my note, Scott. Great video clip. Thanks for posting it!

            Message 5 of 18 , May 2, 2008
              C'mon, how can a hard working, over-achieving linebacker ever become anything on this team...

              (54 Sarcasm off)

              FTFT!

              Thanks for sharing that clip.  I heard it say he was a back-up linebacker - what year was that block?  As a back-up in college that does make his work process harder.  One thing I love and do agree with folks on here is that we seem to have also drafted speed - the hardest thing to 'coach.'  Strength can be done with the nutrition experts and strength/conditioning expertise of our system and facility.  Speed can only be enhanced so much.  Ty Law had great success learning to increase his speed with Coach Kersey (I think) in the sprinting program.  Speaking of Law - didn't we hear a deal immenent before the draft...

              Message 6 of 18 , May 2, 2008
                ***** Right, Randy. Mike Vrabel was only a STs guy with the Steelers!

                Message 7 of 18 , May 2, 2008
                  Special teams guy with a Pro Franchise versus special teams at a collegiate program... think that might make a little difference George?

                  Don't get me wrong, Guyton was selected by a braintrust which I...oddly...trust.  He's got some fine credentials amongst the details but I am curious why he was a back-up player for the college program.

                  As for Vrabel, he was playing in a playoff game with the game on the line in 1998.  I know because he swatted the ball out of Drew's hand in a strip sack that ended our playoff run.

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 2, 2008
                    ***** Yeah, yeah, I know it's a huge jump from NCAA to NFL, Randy. I was basing my comments upon the intensity displayed by Guyton on that particular play that Scott linked us to. That was one hell of a hit! As you said, he was selected by our well proven brain trust; so I suspect that they had seen more such hits and intensity from Guyton on other plays. In any case, since he's a LB, and I have an acknowledged man crush on all LBs, he's my guy from among all the UDFAs this season.

                    ***** Vrabel did play some as a scrimmage LB for the Steelers. But he was primarily a STs guy, and backup LB. I remember thinking and, I believe, writing that he would be a great addition to our STs when we signed him. I did not expect him to deliver the outstanding play he has given us on the scrimmage defense. I place him in the top 5 of the FA acquisitions that BB and Pioli have made. I'd have to think a while as to the order, but the others in my top 5 FAs would be: Rodney Harrison, Adalius Thomas, Bobby Hamilton, and Corey Dillon. Of course, this list could be fairly quickly and easily expanded to a top ten; and, since it just came off the top of my head, is also subject to revision when somebody reminds me of an egregious oversight on my part. :-)

                  • Mike Benson
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 2, 2008
                      Am I watching the same tape as you guys? It looks like he just pushed the guy out of bounds to me. Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic.

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 2, 2008
                        <Mike> Am I watching the same tape as you guys? It looks like he just
                        pushed the guy out of bounds to me. Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic.

                        ************************

                        It's not the ball carrier being pushed out of bounds. It's the block of
                        a would be tackler by #58 (Guyton) at about the 38 yd line.

                        fdb
                      • kmacalp@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 4, 2008
                          <George>***** OOPS! I forgot to add an important "Thank you!" to my note, Scott.
                          Great video clip. Thanks for posting it!
                          <Scott> No problem, George. As for what year the clip is from, I'm not sure. I'd guess it was 2004 or 05 when Guyton was a backup. He was a starter in 06 and 07, and in the latter season he was regarded as his team's best defensive player. He also played a little offense with 3 catches for 54 yards and a touchdown along with a couple of two point conversions.

                          Scott Sheaffer

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 4, 2008
                            ***** Well, he can forget about catching passes here. Who ever heard of LB catching TD passes? ;-)

                            Great video clip. Thanks for posting it!
                            <Scott> No problem, George. As for what year the clip is from, I'm not sure. I'd guess it was 2004 or 05 when Guyton was a backup. He was a starter in 06 and 07, and in the latter season he was regarded as his team's best defensive player. He also played a little offense with 3 catches for 54 yards and a touchdown along with a couple of two point conversions.

                            Scott Sheaffer

                          • J.E. Travers
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 5, 2008
                              Oooooooooooh. Gotcha. Duh.