Pats Undrafted Free Agents

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 29 7:20 PM
      I love these guys because they don't get the big bonus to sign. They are hungry and want (something I think the team lacked during the Superbowl). Ten players on the Superbowl roster were undrafted free agents. Stephen Neal was one of the Patriots more famous UDFA's (along with a kicker from North Dakota St).

      Here is what I know about the potential UDFA's for this weekends rookie camp. Pay attention to Guyton ... he may be the steal of the UDFA's. I would be very nervous if I was Larry Izzo and Eric Alexander. I could see one maybe two of these guys making the opening day roster and others making the Practice Squad.

      P.S. TJ Slaughter (ILB) and Tim Mixon (CB) were cut today

      Confirmed Signings:

      LB Vince Redd, Liberty (Boston Globe)
      6’ 6” 265 4.56 (Pro Day) OLB Transferred from Virginia. Failed a drug test which cost him an entire year. Needs weight room work lifting only 13 reps @ 225. Weigh 280 at Virginia but couldn’t crack the lineup at DE. 6.5 sacks as a linebacker for Liberty this past season.

      DT Chris Norwell, Illinois (Boston Globe)
      6’ 6” 305 - 4 year starter, (34GP – 34 GS before 2007 season). Led Big Ten DL’s in fumble recoveries.

      OT Josh Coffman, East Carolina (Boston Globe)
      6'6" 303 5.08 Started 20 games 1st Team All Conf USA All Academic Conf USA, RG/RT Converted TE (played 1st two years at TE)

      DE Casey Tyler, Portland State (Boston Globe)
      6' 5" 304 5.06 4.49 SS (quick)Transfer from Washington, 3 year starter in 3-4 (low stats) Very impressive at his Pro Day.

      LB Gary Guyton, Georgia Tech (Boston Globe)
      4.47- 40 (1st among LBs); 36.5 VJ (1st among LBs); 10"6'' BJ (tied-1st among LBs); 7.07 3 Cone; 15 reps @225 #1 priority UDFA signing by the Patriots staff. More an athlete than football player. Moved to weakside LB as a senior and flourished. You can’t coach speed!

      TE Jon Stupar, Virginia (Boston Globe)
      6' 3" 252 4.9 40 ??? Part of dynamic duo at Virginia with Tom Santo (6th Rd Colts). Played for Al Groh. Rep as a good receiver and improved blocker.

      LB Keith Saunders, Alabama (Boston Globe)
      6' 3" 244 5.04 ??? (very slow) OLB/DE in 3-4 Played WR his 1st two years at Bama (question his reported 40 time)

      In for workout only, no contract signed yet:

      RB Kenny Cattouse, Troy (Draft Daddy and Boston Globe)
      5'10 200 4.56 BJ 10-1, SS 4.18 (very quick) VJ 41" Avg 5.9 yards per run. 37 receptions too.

      P Mike Dragosavich, North Dakota State (Boston Globe) 6’ 6” three step punter, kicked 68 and 69 yard punts in the Senior Bowl. Would have led the nation in Punting avg as a junior if he had enough kicks to qualify. Same thing as a Senior. He would have finished 2nd. Three step kicking won’t work in the NFL. Probably is the reason they didn’t sign him. Will try to correct that in the rookie camp.

      TE Tyson DeVree, Colorado (Boston Globe)
      6'4" 247 4.75 8 TD's set a new Buffalo record (Graham, Fauria, etc) only the 6th TE to break 400 yds in a season. 37 receptions this year. Transferred from Western Michigan where he shared time with Denver TE Tony Sheffler.

      Reported as Patriot UDFAs:
      OG Ryan Wendell, Fresno State (DraftDaddy)
      6' 2" 286 5.28 Played for Pat Hill (Mankins and Sanders are Fresno St Alumni). Started 48 consecutive games 1st team all WAC. Impressed at East / West shrine game against bigger competition.

      DL Carlos Feliciano, Maryland (DraftDaddy)
      6' 5" 315 NT Replaced Tank Tyler upon his graduation. Space eating run stuffer

      RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ole Miss (DraftDaddy)
      5'11" 219 4.55 (Pro Day) East West Shrine game Shifty, Strong, Patient, Good Pass Blocker, All SEC 1st team as a junior. Transfer from Indiana, averaged 98 yards per game against Big Ten. Rushed 902 time in his 4 years durable and doesn't fumble. Underrated with a rare combo of size agility and acceleration. Chisled and a good character guy.

      "It's beocome quite apparent, Bill Belichick could put Diet Pepsi Machine in his secondary and everything will still be copasetic." - Rich Eisen NFL Network

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • kevin M
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 30 9:02 AM
        I also like the UFA history of our team. Let's hope this group
        produces some contribution to the next successful season. Some of
        the guys look intriguing. Confused a little about Slaughter & Mixon
        being cut before camp. Too many people? Is there a limit? I
        thought at least everybody gets a chance to win a job.

        ______________

      • kmacalp@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2008
          <Mark> LB Gary Guyton, Georgia Tech (Boston Globe)
          4.47- 40 (1st among LBs); 36.5 VJ (1st among LBs); 10"6'' BJ (tied-1st among LBs); 7.07 3 Cone; 15 reps @225 #1 priority UDFA signing by the Patriots staff. More an athlete than football player. Moved to weakside LB as a senior and flourished. You can’t coach speed!

          <Scott> There seems to be some bad info out about Guyton. I read analysis which questioned his athleticism and described his 40 time as pedestrian. What???? The NFL combine site confirms what Mike Reiss reported in his article. This guy was the fastest backer at the combine. How's that pedestrian? First in the 40, 1st in the vertical jump, 1st in the broad jump, and highly ranked in the 60 yard shuttle and three cone drill. The only question in the measurables is his strength. The top linebacker did 29 reps compared to Guyton's 15. Yet elsewhere, I've heard that Guyton is a good performer in the weight room. The same analysis that questioned Guyton's athleticism and described his 40 time as pedestrian also questioned his instincts for linebacker. Hopefully, the analysis is just as wrong on that as it is about his speed. If so, we might have a great find here. With a 4.4 40, I wonder about turning the guy into a monster safety. Staying at linebacker though, some people feel that Guyton can add another 10 pounds without losing speed.

          Scott Sheaffer

        • kmacalp@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , May 1, 2008
            <Mark> LB Vince Redd, Liberty (Boston Globe)
            6’ 6” 265 4.56 (Pro Day) OLB Transferred from Virginia. Failed a drug test which cost him an entire year. Needs weight room work lifting only 13 reps @ 225. Weigh 280 at Virginia but couldn’t crack the lineup at DE. 6.5 sacks as a linebacker for Liberty this past season.
            <Scott> This guy's pro day 40 would have made him the 4th fastest linebacker at the combine behind Jerod Mayo who ranked 3rd with a 4.54. (Hmmm . . . we now have the 1st and 3rd fastest linebackers from the combine along with Shawn Crable who would have been 6th if he had been listed among linebackers instead of defensive lineman (where he finished ahead of Gholston). I'm seeing a theme here. If all these guys can play NFL caliber football . . .

            The problem is that Redd managed even few reps than Guyton in the bench press.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 18 , May 1, 2008
              ***** One thing I'd question is that statement that he's "More of an athlete than football player." I find it hard to believe that BB and Pioli would sign a guy, even as a UDFA, that they didn't believe was, first and foremost, a "football player". With my usual caveat (I have not seen him play), the information I read about this kid indicates to me that he could be a great candidate for STs on coverage teams. Speed, and leaping ability would indicate that he get downfield in a hurry. If he's a good open field tackler, he may be the guy to replace Izzo, either now, or after a year on the PS.

              Message 6 of 18 , May 1, 2008
                ***** The strength issue doesn't bother me much. Working with an NFL caliber trainer can cure that in a hurry, as long as the player has the determination to work hard at it.

                ***** Speed, however, is far less liable to be significantly increased. I know that there are "speed coaches" who have helped players improve. But even they can't turn a slow guy into a fast guy. These 3 new Patriots rookies have the kind of speed I'd love to see on this team. But, as you said, Scott, we have to see if they can play at this level. Speed is great. But it, alone, will not earn anybody a spot on any NFL team.

                Message 7 of 18 , May 1, 2008
                  <George> With my usual caveat (I have not seen him
                  play), the information I read about this kid indicates to me that he could
                  be a great candidate for STs on coverage teams. Speed, and leaping ability
                  would indicate that he get downfield in a hurry. If he's a good open field
                  tackler, he may be the guy to replace Izzo, either now, or after a year on
                  the PS.
                  <Scott> Actually there's a great highlight of Guyton playing special teams on youtube. This isn't on the coverage team though, it's on the return team, and no, he's not returning the ball. Check out the block Guyton, number 58, delivers near the 40 just as a tackler was closing on the return man, number 4.

                  Scott Sheaffer

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 1, 2008
                    ***** CRUNCH! Number 4 got ... 'JACKED UP!" by Guyton. Now THAT is STs play! Yeah, I think this kid has a solid shot to make the team this year, if he brings that kind of intensity to STs.

                    ***** Of course, I only want players to make it if they have outstanding ability. That said, how great would it be for the future of this team if Mayo, Crable, Ruud, and Guyton are all good enough to make the team? Set for years at LB, if they're good enough to make that happen.

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 1, 2008
                      ***** OOPS! I forgot to add an important "Thank you!" to my note, Scott. Great video clip. Thanks for posting it!

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 2, 2008
                        C'mon, how can a hard working, over-achieving linebacker ever become anything on this team...

                        (54 Sarcasm off)

                        FTFT!

                        Thanks for sharing that clip.  I heard it say he was a back-up linebacker - what year was that block?  As a back-up in college that does make his work process harder.  One thing I love and do agree with folks on here is that we seem to have also drafted speed - the hardest thing to 'coach.'  Strength can be done with the nutrition experts and strength/conditioning expertise of our system and facility.  Speed can only be enhanced so much.  Ty Law had great success learning to increase his speed with Coach Kersey (I think) in the sprinting program.  Speaking of Law - didn't we hear a deal immenent before the draft...

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 2, 2008
                          ***** Right, Randy. Mike Vrabel was only a STs guy with the Steelers!

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 2, 2008
                            Special teams guy with a Pro Franchise versus special teams at a collegiate program... think that might make a little difference George?

                            Don't get me wrong, Guyton was selected by a braintrust which I...oddly...trust.  He's got some fine credentials amongst the details but I am curious why he was a back-up player for the college program.

                            As for Vrabel, he was playing in a playoff game with the game on the line in 1998.  I know because he swatted the ball out of Drew's hand in a strip sack that ended our playoff run.

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 2, 2008
                              ***** Yeah, yeah, I know it's a huge jump from NCAA to NFL, Randy. I was basing my comments upon the intensity displayed by Guyton on that particular play that Scott linked us to. That was one hell of a hit! As you said, he was selected by our well proven brain trust; so I suspect that they had seen more such hits and intensity from Guyton on other plays. In any case, since he's a LB, and I have an acknowledged man crush on all LBs, he's my guy from among all the UDFAs this season.

                              ***** Vrabel did play some as a scrimmage LB for the Steelers. But he was primarily a STs guy, and backup LB. I remember thinking and, I believe, writing that he would be a great addition to our STs when we signed him. I did not expect him to deliver the outstanding play he has given us on the scrimmage defense. I place him in the top 5 of the FA acquisitions that BB and Pioli have made. I'd have to think a while as to the order, but the others in my top 5 FAs would be: Rodney Harrison, Adalius Thomas, Bobby Hamilton, and Corey Dillon. Of course, this list could be fairly quickly and easily expanded to a top ten; and, since it just came off the top of my head, is also subject to revision when somebody reminds me of an egregious oversight on my part. :-)

                            • Mike Benson
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 2, 2008
                                Am I watching the same tape as you guys? It looks like he just pushed the guy out of bounds to me. Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic.

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 2, 2008
                                  <Mike> Am I watching the same tape as you guys? It looks like he just
                                  pushed the guy out of bounds to me. Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic.

                                  ************************

                                  It's not the ball carrier being pushed out of bounds. It's the block of
                                  a would be tackler by #58 (Guyton) at about the 38 yd line.

                                  fdb
                                • kmacalp@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 4, 2008
                                    <George>***** OOPS! I forgot to add an important "Thank you!" to my note, Scott.
                                    Great video clip. Thanks for posting it!
                                    <Scott> No problem, George. As for what year the clip is from, I'm not sure. I'd guess it was 2004 or 05 when Guyton was a backup. He was a starter in 06 and 07, and in the latter season he was regarded as his team's best defensive player. He also played a little offense with 3 catches for 54 yards and a touchdown along with a couple of two point conversions.

                                    Scott Sheaffer

                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 4, 2008
                                      ***** Well, he can forget about catching passes here. Who ever heard of LB catching TD passes? ;-)

                                      Great video clip. Thanks for posting it!
                                      <Scott> No problem, George. As for what year the clip is from, I'm not sure. I'd guess it was 2004 or 05 when Guyton was a backup. He was a starter in 06 and 07, and in the latter season he was regarded as his team's best defensive player. He also played a little offense with 3 catches for 54 yards and a touchdown along with a couple of two point conversions.

                                      Scott Sheaffer

                                    • J.E. Travers
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 5, 2008
                                        Oooooooooooh. Gotcha. Duh.