Re: [patriotzip] Re: Rule Changes - Good News and Bad News

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
      I did believe the Force out rule was broken and for two primary reasons.  The rule required an official to be watching several complex things at once:
      1) Did two feet come down in bounds.
      2)  Did the Receiver gain possession of the ball (no juggle etc) at the time of the feet being down
      3) Was there a force out in which the receiver might have likely gotten feet down.

      Generally they did a decent job but it was a lot to ask here and it probably could have remained functional there except for the second issue which was instant replay.  Here is where there were problems.  If the official ruled that he came down in bounds but it was incorrect, replay would catch that error - all good there.  If he ruled it a catch but it was also a force out then he must choose one of those and usually if he thinks it's a catch he cannot rule it a force out but then on instant replay he may be found wrong on the catch and the IR is not allowed to review the judgment call of the force out.  Last year that event burned several teams.

      Removing the force out does fix this and make the first decisin process considerably easier for the official.  It has sifnificant other effects on those sideline leaping catches - impact which will affect each team equally and based on defensive/offensive strengths, will probably help the Patriots more than hurt them.  I don't foresee Rodney worrying too much about the catch if he can blast the guy out of bounds.  I don't see the height mismatches for Hobbes and company being nearly as significant under this scenario.

      Moss will lose a few more catches on the sideline and adjustments will probably bbring those a little closer into the field or further enhance his freakish athleticism as he gets his feet down despite some of the hits to knock him out of bounds.

      Go for the pick/kncok away or for the hit to knock him out of bounds - some interesting decisions ahead in which the DB will likely play the ball and the safety will try to time the blast.