RE: [patriotzip] Rule Changes - Good News and Bad News

  • Don Diamant
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008

      You’re absolutely right George, we’ll have to disagree.  ALL calls are subjective.  Holding calls, for example, are well defined it is just that the officiating seems to apply it subjectively.

      This is a fast game and they aren’t going to catch everything and I expect them to get the call wrong sometimes.  That said there are eight officiating crew members on the field so that’s just under three players on the field for each of them.  It’s inexcusable the frequency with which they miss calls that should be made.  For those calls they do make I think the frequency with which they get them wrong when they do make the call is quite reasonable, they are almost always right when they do make the call.  Again, that said, I think they too often get the call wrong on the replay which should be never, but they do get it wrong on the replay sometimes.

      If we threw out all the rules we wouldn’t have a game we would have an open brawl.

      Don

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
        ***** And I didn't even mention my "favorite" subjective call - Pass Interference! That is one subjective call that really needs some change made. I had heard that there was a possibility that they'd consider changing the penalty for Defensive PI this year. I'm very disappointed that they did not do so. IMO, they need to either reduce the penalty from "point of the foul", to 15 yards and an automatic first down (similar to the NCAA rule); or make the call subject to challenge and review. Although it's a judgment call, the fact is that it is nearly always made by an official who is on the run, and who may not have an ideal angle for making the call. At least, with a booth review, the Referee would have the advantage of different angles to look at, while snuggled firmly in his stationary position under the hood. This is a call which very often has an almost immediate affect on the score of the game, one way or the other. It is currently, IMO, the weakest part of the NFL rule book.

        ***** Yes, I really, really, really hate the PI penalty rules as they stand now!

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
          I did believe the Force out rule was broken and for two primary reasons.  The rule required an official to be watching several complex things at once:
          1) Did two feet come down in bounds.
          2)  Did the Receiver gain possession of the ball (no juggle etc) at the time of the feet being down
          3) Was there a force out in which the receiver might have likely gotten feet down.

          Generally they did a decent job but it was a lot to ask here and it probably could have remained functional there except for the second issue which was instant replay.  Here is where there were problems.  If the official ruled that he came down in bounds but it was incorrect, replay would catch that error - all good there.  If he ruled it a catch but it was also a force out then he must choose one of those and usually if he thinks it's a catch he cannot rule it a force out but then on instant replay he may be found wrong on the catch and the IR is not allowed to review the judgment call of the force out.  Last year that event burned several teams.

          Removing the force out does fix this and make the first decisin process considerably easier for the official.  It has sifnificant other effects on those sideline leaping catches - impact which will affect each team equally and based on defensive/offensive strengths, will probably help the Patriots more than hurt them.  I don't foresee Rodney worrying too much about the catch if he can blast the guy out of bounds.  I don't see the height mismatches for Hobbes and company being nearly as significant under this scenario.

          Moss will lose a few more catches on the sideline and adjustments will probably bbring those a little closer into the field or further enhance his freakish athleticism as he gets his feet down despite some of the hits to knock him out of bounds.

          Go for the pick/kncok away or for the hit to knock him out of bounds - some interesting decisions ahead in which the DB will likely play the ball and the safety will try to time the blast.