RE: [patriotzip] RE: Owners Meetings and Events

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
      ***** If there was one schedule change that I'd most like to see, it would be the elimination of the Thursday night games. I have both an objective, and a selfish reason for that. Objectively, I think it's very unfair to,  as well as dangerous for, the teams who must play on Thursday nights. It plays havoc with their preparation routines, and, more importantly, it significantly reduces the recovery time for players, thereby increasing their likelihood of worsening an existing injury, or sustaining an injury to weakened body parts.

      ***** Personally, I'd be happy if they returned to the days when Monday Night Football was a real event, because it was the only game in town, and occurred just once a week. At least there's only a one day alteration in the normal between game routine for the players then.

      ***** Oh, that "selfish" reason? It's Fantasy Football. Thursday games play hell with decision making for player acquisitions, trades, and roster set ups!

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
        All games at 1:00 Sunday

        To be fair I had a chance to spend a month in Oregon training for my first Guide dog (love you Ostend!) during the footbal season of 2000.  Unfortunately for the west coast the 1:00 games starting at 10:00 am are a little challenging to the routines.  So while general football can reasonably work between 1 and 4 for me, I'd have to acknowledge playoff games and the Superbowl as not being totally unreasonable for a 4:00 start.  Six on a Sunday or more properly 6:30 is pushing it a bit for my perspective and given it's fame and acclaim I think it could handle 4:00 and still be a major spectacle - perhaps even more of a spectacle.

        I know our West Coast Pats fans may have different preferences than our 1:00 goals here on the East Coast.

        Go Pats!
        Zi
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
          ***** As a former West Coast Pats fan, I can tell you that I had no problem at all with the 10 AM starts. I preferred them since there was no "interminable" wait for "my" game to come on.

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008

            I actually like the evening start for the Superbowl and the build up the whole day long to the start of the Superbowl as well as the after the Bowl stuff.  I just wish it was on Saturday so I wouldn’t have to be tired all day at work on Monday.

            Don

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
              Have to disagree here. The game is at 6:30, the pre-game starts at
              noon. I turn it on at about 6:00. I really don't care to see the
              story of how the third string right guard grew up on a commune in
              Iowa, or the linebackers coach who could have been a great player,
              if he hadn't blown out his knee playing softball in high school.
              Then there's the endless analysis, replays from week 3, and how the
              half-time show was assembled (and I love analysis). We've had two
              weeks of that all over the internet and ESPN. Just a little too much
              for me. Most people are eating during this whole time, anyway. LOL!

              fdb

            • kmacalp@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 4, 2008
                <Randy> To be fair I had a chance to spend a month in Oregon training for my first Guide dog (love you Ostend!) during the footbal season of 2000. Unfortunately for the west coast the 1:00 games starting at 10:00 am are a little challenging to the routines. So while general football can reasonably work between 1 and 4 for me, I'd have to acknowledge playoff games and the Superbowl as not being totally unreasonable for a 4:00 start.

                <Scott> I have to admit that my wish for nothing but 1:00 PM Sunday games is selfish, for pure convenience on my part. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't object to watching games at 10:00. Once game day is here, it's hard to concentrate on other things until the game is actually underway and then finished. I try to read, and I'm constantly worried I'll lose track of the time. Even when that's not a problem, I can't focus because I keep thinking about the game. I'd like to see the game early in the day instead of enduring that wait. Now that I think about it, 10:00 would be good for watching the game on TV. As far as going to Foxborough and watching a game live, 1:00 works well. I especially hate late night games. If they were on Fridays or Saturdays, it wouldn't be a problem. Last season though, I had to be at work for 4:00 AM. There's nothing like those late night games dragging on past midnight. GRRRRR!!!!! (Fortunately, I now start my work days at 7:00, but still . . . ) I'd really like to see all the games on at a time that's both convenient and consistent instead of bouncing around all over the place.

                Scott Sheaffer

              • Peter
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 6, 2008
                  As a West Coast Pats fan who lives in an AFC market (San Diego), I would really appreciate more 1 p.m. East Coast games for the Pats (10 a.m. here) as that makes it more likely I might get to see them.  When they play the same time as the Chargers when the Chargers are at home or away it makes it difficult to see the Pats.  I just wish CBS had the doubleheader  each week, lol.

                  Peter

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 6, 2008
                    Peter wrote:
                    > As a West Coast Pats fan who lives in an AFC market (San Diego), I
                    > would really appreciate more 1 p.m. East Coast games for the Pats (10
                    > a.m. here) as that makes it more likely I might get to see them. When
                    > they play the same time as the Chargers when the Chargers are at home
                    > or away it makes it difficult to see the Pats. I just wish CBS had
                    > the doubleheader each week, lol.

                    Same here in Phoenix! The Cardinals since moving into the new facility
                    have all sellouts
                    and most games are shown in the late time slot. We don't change our
                    clocks back here
                    so part of the season the games air at 10:00 and 1:00 and the other part
                    11:00 and 2:00!!
                    So if the Pats air in the late time slots the Cards will out! Just FYI.
                    Later.Mike
                  • kmacalp@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 7, 2008
                      Mike,

                      I was in the Phoenix area, Avondale I think, when the Pats played the Cowboys last season and they wouldn't even show the game on CBS even though the Cards were playing on FOX. In fact, they didn't show ANY game on CBS in that time slot. It was infomercials. One of the most highly anticipated and highest rated regular season games ever and they showed infomercials!! My brother-in-law and I rushed to a sports bar near his house which had Sunday ticket or whatever it is so we could see the game. We'd already missed a few minutes of the first quarter. They had the game on all right, but something made us freeze in our tracks for a moment. The place was packed wall to wall with Cowboys fans. Really loud, angry, and aggressive Cowboys fans. By chance, the only Patriots stuff I had on was my Patriots watch. My brother-in-law said he was going to stay on the opposite side of the bar and pretend he didn't know me if I cheered really loud for the Patriots.

                      Scott Sheaffer

                      PS: Actually, as the game went on, it turned out there were a few other Patriots fans there. We were way outnumbered though.