Re: [patriotzip] Owners Meetings and Events

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
      George:
      I'm with you on keeping the playoff seeding as it is. However, as a greedy
      TV fan, I'd like to see a trade off of 2 exhibition games for 2 more regular
      season games. I doubt this will ever happen, because the NFLPA would see to
      it that it would be much too expensive for the teams to accept

      Zip:
      I'd wholeheartedly embrace this system because exhibition games are now the
      bane of my Patriot Ticket holding existence. I don't think the PA would
      baulk so much because the players in general do not like the exhibition
      season and neither do the Networks who pay much bigger dollars for actual
      games and that money now spreads out to both groups.

      George:
      I'm curious about your comment on cutting back on attending exhibition games
      because of the cost involved. I thought you were required to purchase
      tickets to those games as part of a season ticket package.

      Zip:
      We are required to buy two preseason games at the same cost as part of our
      package. This doesn't mean I can't resell them on the Pats Ticket exchange
      or find a friend who'd take the preseason game for the chance to sit in the
      front row. At this point those tickets are bought and paid for but it was
      painfully expensive - prohibitively so for me and it's only a matter of time
      before Bob Kraft has me priced out of attending games.

      As for the National Broadcast, I honestly don't care whether it's National
      or not. Only six prime time appearances are allowed but unlimitted National
      games at normal times. For me it's the normal time that is at issue - at
      least for the home games.

    • kmacalp@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
        < Randy > Schedules come otu tomorrow at 4:30 on the NFL Network and I'll be listening. I'm very hopeful for Kraft to get his request and for the Pats to have far far far more 1:00 Sunday games at home.

        < Scott > I hear you there, Randy. I wish all the games were Sunday at 1:00. That includes the Super Bowl.

        Scott Sheaffer

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
          ***** If there was one schedule change that I'd most like to see, it would be the elimination of the Thursday night games. I have both an objective, and a selfish reason for that. Objectively, I think it's very unfair to,  as well as dangerous for, the teams who must play on Thursday nights. It plays havoc with their preparation routines, and, more importantly, it significantly reduces the recovery time for players, thereby increasing their likelihood of worsening an existing injury, or sustaining an injury to weakened body parts.

          ***** Personally, I'd be happy if they returned to the days when Monday Night Football was a real event, because it was the only game in town, and occurred just once a week. At least there's only a one day alteration in the normal between game routine for the players then.

          ***** Oh, that "selfish" reason? It's Fantasy Football. Thursday games play hell with decision making for player acquisitions, trades, and roster set ups!

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
            All games at 1:00 Sunday

            To be fair I had a chance to spend a month in Oregon training for my first Guide dog (love you Ostend!) during the footbal season of 2000.  Unfortunately for the west coast the 1:00 games starting at 10:00 am are a little challenging to the routines.  So while general football can reasonably work between 1 and 4 for me, I'd have to acknowledge playoff games and the Superbowl as not being totally unreasonable for a 4:00 start.  Six on a Sunday or more properly 6:30 is pushing it a bit for my perspective and given it's fame and acclaim I think it could handle 4:00 and still be a major spectacle - perhaps even more of a spectacle.

            I know our West Coast Pats fans may have different preferences than our 1:00 goals here on the East Coast.

            Go Pats!
            Zi
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
              ***** As a former West Coast Pats fan, I can tell you that I had no problem at all with the 10 AM starts. I preferred them since there was no "interminable" wait for "my" game to come on.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008

                I actually like the evening start for the Superbowl and the build up the whole day long to the start of the Superbowl as well as the after the Bowl stuff.  I just wish it was on Saturday so I wouldn’t have to be tired all day at work on Monday.

                Don

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
                  Have to disagree here. The game is at 6:30, the pre-game starts at
                  noon. I turn it on at about 6:00. I really don't care to see the
                  story of how the third string right guard grew up on a commune in
                  Iowa, or the linebackers coach who could have been a great player,
                  if he hadn't blown out his knee playing softball in high school.
                  Then there's the endless analysis, replays from week 3, and how the
                  half-time show was assembled (and I love analysis). We've had two
                  weeks of that all over the internet and ESPN. Just a little too much
                  for me. Most people are eating during this whole time, anyway. LOL!

                  fdb

                • kmacalp@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 4, 2008
                    <Randy> To be fair I had a chance to spend a month in Oregon training for my first Guide dog (love you Ostend!) during the footbal season of 2000. Unfortunately for the west coast the 1:00 games starting at 10:00 am are a little challenging to the routines. So while general football can reasonably work between 1 and 4 for me, I'd have to acknowledge playoff games and the Superbowl as not being totally unreasonable for a 4:00 start.

                    <Scott> I have to admit that my wish for nothing but 1:00 PM Sunday games is selfish, for pure convenience on my part. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't object to watching games at 10:00. Once game day is here, it's hard to concentrate on other things until the game is actually underway and then finished. I try to read, and I'm constantly worried I'll lose track of the time. Even when that's not a problem, I can't focus because I keep thinking about the game. I'd like to see the game early in the day instead of enduring that wait. Now that I think about it, 10:00 would be good for watching the game on TV. As far as going to Foxborough and watching a game live, 1:00 works well. I especially hate late night games. If they were on Fridays or Saturdays, it wouldn't be a problem. Last season though, I had to be at work for 4:00 AM. There's nothing like those late night games dragging on past midnight. GRRRRR!!!!! (Fortunately, I now start my work days at 7:00, but still . . . ) I'd really like to see all the games on at a time that's both convenient and consistent instead of bouncing around all over the place.

                    Scott Sheaffer

                  • Peter
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 6, 2008
                      As a West Coast Pats fan who lives in an AFC market (San Diego), I would really appreciate more 1 p.m. East Coast games for the Pats (10 a.m. here) as that makes it more likely I might get to see them.  When they play the same time as the Chargers when the Chargers are at home or away it makes it difficult to see the Pats.  I just wish CBS had the doubleheader  each week, lol.

                      Peter

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 6, 2008
                        Peter wrote:
                        > As a West Coast Pats fan who lives in an AFC market (San Diego), I
                        > would really appreciate more 1 p.m. East Coast games for the Pats (10
                        > a.m. here) as that makes it more likely I might get to see them. When
                        > they play the same time as the Chargers when the Chargers are at home
                        > or away it makes it difficult to see the Pats. I just wish CBS had
                        > the doubleheader each week, lol.

                        Same here in Phoenix! The Cardinals since moving into the new facility
                        have all sellouts
                        and most games are shown in the late time slot. We don't change our
                        clocks back here
                        so part of the season the games air at 10:00 and 1:00 and the other part
                        11:00 and 2:00!!
                        So if the Pats air in the late time slots the Cards will out! Just FYI.
                        Later.Mike
                      • kmacalp@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 7, 2008
                          Mike,

                          I was in the Phoenix area, Avondale I think, when the Pats played the Cowboys last season and they wouldn't even show the game on CBS even though the Cards were playing on FOX. In fact, they didn't show ANY game on CBS in that time slot. It was infomercials. One of the most highly anticipated and highest rated regular season games ever and they showed infomercials!! My brother-in-law and I rushed to a sports bar near his house which had Sunday ticket or whatever it is so we could see the game. We'd already missed a few minutes of the first quarter. They had the game on all right, but something made us freeze in our tracks for a moment. The place was packed wall to wall with Cowboys fans. Really loud, angry, and aggressive Cowboys fans. By chance, the only Patriots stuff I had on was my Patriots watch. My brother-in-law said he was going to stay on the opposite side of the bar and pretend he didn't know me if I cheered really loud for the Patriots.

                          Scott Sheaffer

                          PS: Actually, as the game went on, it turned out there were a few other Patriots fans there. We were way outnumbered though.