Rule Changes - Good News and Bad News

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2 10:06 PM
      ***** As is usually the case, I like most of the changes that the NFL has
      made for the upcoming season. There's only one exception.

      What I like:

      - Elimination of the 5-yard face mask penalty. This was miscalled more often
      than properly called, IMO. The 15-yarder is there to prevent injury; and is
      assessed when the player's head is turned by a solid grasp on the mask. Good
      rule. The mere touching of the mask, with an open hand, as the defender
      tries to make a tackle should not, and no longer will be a penalty.

      - Instant replay will be allowed on FGs. Why not? They very often decide
      games. Get it right!

      - Direct snap from the center will be a fumble, rather than a false start.
      Definitely the right call here. If the ball leaves the hands of the center,
      it's in play!

      - Coaches can defer a decision on the coin toss. This can be a relatively
      significant factor in games played during severe weather conditions. Teams
      may want to ensure that they have the wind for the 4th quarter; or make a
      decision for the 2nd half based upon developing weather conditions.

      - Rejected change in playoff seeding. This idea of having wild-card teams
      eligible to host playoff games would have meant, from the other side of the
      view, that a Division winner would NOT get an automatic home game in the
      playoffs. I don't think that's a good idea at all.

      - Force outs eliminated. IMO, this gives DBs and LBs an opportunity to make
      a great play, and prevent a key first down or TD. I hate the ticky-tack
      calls that are often made for "illegal contact", and wish they'd done
      something about that, as well. But at least this change removes another very
      subjective judgment call from the hands of officials, and puts gives the
      defender a chance to play with all out aggression on the sideline, without
      worrying about what angle he takes. Now, it's just "feet in, or feet out",
      as it should be. I like this one a lot; and even more so because I suspect
      that Polian and Dungy probable hate it. (I'd love to know how the voting
      went on this one!)

    • Don Diamant
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3 7:07 AM

        I have to disagree with you on this one George.  It is one of the worst decisions the NFL has ever made.  This will allow a defender who gets burned to kill the play anyway.  This takes away those great sideline catches and endzone corner catches as now all a defender has to do is simply push the offensive player out of bounds.  I can’t imagine our team likes this retraction of the rules either.  Just imagine all those Randy Moss catches where he went up in the air on the sideline or in the endzone and then consider all of them erased as now all a defender needs to do is push him out of bounds before he can get his feet to the ground.  How can this possibly be a good thing?  This was never one of the rules that made everyone angry in its application, it wasn’t broken so why did they fix it?

        Don

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3 8:04 AM
          I tend to agree with Don. It's a bit of a cop out. The only reason
          to change the rule is so the refs don't have to make a judgement as
          to whether or not the receiver would have come down in bounds. It's
          the same thing with the immortal tuck rule. If they eliminated it,
          the refs would have to try to determine if the QB was actually
          trying to execute a forward pass or not. They don't want the zebras
          to have to think too hard.

          On the other hand, with all the benefits that are afforded to
          receivers these days, e.g. the emphasis on illegal contact (thank
          you, Mr. Polian), it's good to see them throw a bone to the D for a
          change.

          fdb

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3 8:21 AM
            ***** We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, Don. You may feel that it wasn't broken; but I disagree. I can recall some strong disagreement with calls of "force out", going in both directions. In some cases, I thought that the subjective call of "force out" gave an opposing receiver a catch he shouldn't have had. In other cases, I thought that the "force out" call should have been made, but wasn't, when what I thought was a catch was taken away from us, because our "forced out" receiver came down out of bounds. It seems to me that you're only looking at the offensive side of it. What about the calls that gave our opponents one of those sideline or endzone calls that we didn't think was a force out?

            ***** I hate all subjective calls - Offensive Holding, Defensive Holding, Illegal Contact, etc. So I'm happy to see one of them trashed. I didn't like this penalty. And I believe that I read a comment from Belichick indicating that he felt the same way about it. Less subjectivity means an easy, and objectively reviewable call for the officials. That's a good thing, IMO.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3 9:16 AM
              You make a good point about subjective calls, George. Maybe calls
              like "force out" are just too difficult to make. If they end up
              replaying every judgement call to attempt to get them right, a game
              will be 4 hours long. Refs are human (so I'm told) and will make
              mistakes.

              Now that they can superimpose the strke zone on our TV screens, we
              see all the ball-and-strke calls that are missed in baseball. And
              the umps are in perfect position on every pitch. Maybe you're right,
              and I'm just expecting perfect judgement every time.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3 12:16 PM

                You’re absolutely right George, we’ll have to disagree.  ALL calls are subjective.  Holding calls, for example, are well defined it is just that the officiating seems to apply it subjectively.

                This is a fast game and they aren’t going to catch everything and I expect them to get the call wrong sometimes.  That said there are eight officiating crew members on the field so that’s just under three players on the field for each of them.  It’s inexcusable the frequency with which they miss calls that should be made.  For those calls they do make I think the frequency with which they get them wrong when they do make the call is quite reasonable, they are almost always right when they do make the call.  Again, that said, I think they too often get the call wrong on the replay which should be never, but they do get it wrong on the replay sometimes.

                If we threw out all the rules we wouldn’t have a game we would have an open brawl.

                Don

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3 9:09 PM
                  ***** And I didn't even mention my "favorite" subjective call - Pass Interference! That is one subjective call that really needs some change made. I had heard that there was a possibility that they'd consider changing the penalty for Defensive PI this year. I'm very disappointed that they did not do so. IMO, they need to either reduce the penalty from "point of the foul", to 15 yards and an automatic first down (similar to the NCAA rule); or make the call subject to challenge and review. Although it's a judgment call, the fact is that it is nearly always made by an official who is on the run, and who may not have an ideal angle for making the call. At least, with a booth review, the Referee would have the advantage of different angles to look at, while snuggled firmly in his stationary position under the hood. This is a call which very often has an almost immediate affect on the score of the game, one way or the other. It is currently, IMO, the weakest part of the NFL rule book.

                  ***** Yes, I really, really, really hate the PI penalty rules as they stand now!

                  --- In patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com, "George" <patswingr@. ..> wrote:

                  > ***** We'll just have
                  to agree to disagree on that one, Don. You
                  may feel
                  > that it wasn't
                  broken; but I disagree. I can recall some strong
                  disagreement
                  > with
                  calls of "force out", going in both directions. In some
                  cases, I

                  thought that the subjective call of "force out" gave an opposing
                  receiver a
                  > catch he shouldn't have had. In other cases, I thought that
                  the "force out"
                  > call should have been made, but wasn't, when what I thought
                  was a
                  catch was
                  > taken away from us, because our "forced out"
                  receiver came down
                  out of
                  > bounds. It seems to me that you're only
                  looking at the offensive
                  side of it.
                  > What about the calls that gave
                  our opponents one of those sideline
                  or
                  > endzone calls that we didn't
                  think was a force out?

                  href="mailto:patriotzip%40yahoogroups.com">patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com
                  > I have to disagree with you on this one George. It is
                  one of the
                  worst
                  > decisions the NFL has ever made. This will allow a
                  defender who
                  gets burned
                  > to kill the play anyway. This takes away
                  those great sideline
                  catches and
                  > endzone corner catches as now all a
                  defender has to do is simply
                  push the
                  > offensive player out of
                  bounds. I can't imagine our team likes
                  this
                  > retraction of the rules
                  either. Just imagine all those Randy Moss
                  catches
                  > where he went up
                  in the air on the sideline or in the endzone and
                  then
                  > consider all
                  of them erased as now all a defender needs to do is
                  push him
                  > out of
                  bounds before he can get his feet to the ground. How can
                  this

                  possibly be a good thing? This was never one of the rules that
                  made

                  everyone angry in its application, it wasn't broken so why did
                  they fix it?

                  > Don
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > From:
                  patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com
                  > made for the upcoming season. There's only
                  one exception.

                  > What I like:
                  >
                  > - Force outs
                  eliminated. IMO, this gives DBs and LBs an
                  opportunity to make
                  great play, and prevent a key first down or TD. I hate the ticky-
                  tack
                  > calls that are often made for "illegal contact", and wish
                  they'd
                  done
                  > something about that, as well. But at least this change
                  removes
                  another very
                  > subjective judgment call from the hands of
                  officials, and puts
                  gives the
                  > defender a chance to play with all out
                  aggression on the sideline,
                  without
                  > worrying about what angle he
                  takes. Now, it's just "feet in, or
                  feet out",
                  > as it should be. I
                  like this one a lot; and even more so because I
                  suspect
                  > that Polian
                  and Dungy probable hate it. (I'd love to know how the
                  voting
                  > went on
                  this one!)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 4 3:50 AM
                    I did believe the Force out rule was broken and for two primary reasons.  The rule required an official to be watching several complex things at once:
                    1) Did two feet come down in bounds.
                    2)  Did the Receiver gain possession of the ball (no juggle etc) at the time of the feet being down
                    3) Was there a force out in which the receiver might have likely gotten feet down.

                    Generally they did a decent job but it was a lot to ask here and it probably could have remained functional there except for the second issue which was instant replay.  Here is where there were problems.  If the official ruled that he came down in bounds but it was incorrect, replay would catch that error - all good there.  If he ruled it a catch but it was also a force out then he must choose one of those and usually if he thinks it's a catch he cannot rule it a force out but then on instant replay he may be found wrong on the catch and the IR is not allowed to review the judgment call of the force out.  Last year that event burned several teams.

                    Removing the force out does fix this and make the first decisin process considerably easier for the official.  It has sifnificant other effects on those sideline leaping catches - impact which will affect each team equally and based on defensive/offensive strengths, will probably help the Patriots more than hurt them.  I don't foresee Rodney worrying too much about the catch if he can blast the guy out of bounds.  I don't see the height mismatches for Hobbes and company being nearly as significant under this scenario.

                    Moss will lose a few more catches on the sideline and adjustments will probably bbring those a little closer into the field or further enhance his freakish athleticism as he gets his feet down despite some of the hits to knock him out of bounds.

                    Go for the pick/kncok away or for the hit to knock him out of bounds - some interesting decisions ahead in which the DB will likely play the ball and the safety will try to time the blast.