Sewall strategy...

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2008
      I have not heard of ILB Sewall (Carolina RFA) going anywhere else since he came here.  The Pats didn't make him an offer but I wonder how much of tha tmight be positioning so as to put the heat on Carolina.  If they make him an offer at the deadline (April 18) they put the most pressure on Carolina to match or not match just before the draft.  I suspect they may already have some sort of deal in place to offer and then several trade deals to give Carolina an out that is favorable to all involved.  It impacts both our and their draft boards.  I know it's a pipe dream but I'd love Howie Long's Kid to become our linebacker from the draft but there's no way he falls to pick 7.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2008
        It's also possible, Randy, that the Pats and Panthers have some sort of "conditional" deal already in place. Could be that the Panthers would trade up for the Pats' R1 pick, if player "X" is still on the board at #7, giving Sewell, and some additional lower pick to the Pats in return. In any case, I'd also like to see them acquire Sewell.

        Oh, and I share your feelings about Long. However, I also like what I've read about the Rivers kid from USC.

        It still seems like there's an eternity to go before the Draft. Damn, I hate the off-season! :-)