RE: [patriotzip] Say it isn't so...

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 18, 2008
      ***** I will not deny that I will be very disappointed if Troy signs with the Jets. No need to go into the reasons, as I'm sure you all know them.

      ***** He's been a Patriot for his entire career. Is it really ONLY we fans who feel any gut level love for a franchise, and animosity toward its' greatest rivals? Apparently so.

      (Wonder if Tedy will go to the Jets if we cut him here in a year or two?)

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 19, 2008
        Tedy said to me way back in 2003 that he would never play for another team.  I believe him and don't worry about that at all.  Ass for Troy, I've never heard him say he wouldn't play elsewhere and I haven't heard any other place call him in for an interview so his options are a bit limitted and I respect his desire not to retire.  It's a shameful aspect of football and vets taht players like Jerry Rice can leave their teams...and I feel that even moreso with guys like Willie McGinest and Troy Brown.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 19, 2008
          ***** I don't totally agree here, Randy. I have no problem with a player who
          is cut by his long time team, as Willie and Troy were, seeking an
          opportunity to continue playing. As a rabid NFL fan for over 50 years, and
          only a wish that I could have had the talent to have played, I can
          appreciate how difficult it must be for a player who loves the game to hang
          up the spikes. In that spirit, I hold absolutely no hard feelings against
          Willie for going to play for the Browns. Still, I really suffer when I see
          great players, like Johnny Unitas and Jerry Rice, play to the point where
          they are irrelevant, or worse, on the field. For that reason, I hope that
          Troy will face reality, and hang 'em up. But, it he chooses to play for some
          team that doesn't fit the description of "Patriots rival", I'll understand,
          and wish him well, as I did with Willie.

          ***** However, I am also an "old school" guy with regard to loyalty to a
          team. That part of me would be very upset if Troy were to play for a long
          time rival of the Patriots. I have no respect for a New England Patriots
          player who would play for the New York Jets or Indianapolis Colts. There are
          lines that I, personally, would not cross, were I an NFL player. I can't
          respect people who would cross those lines.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 19, 2008
            You misunderstand me - I don't put the blame on the players there George but in the setup of the league.

            I will be entirely comfortable with Troy as stated in a previous message whether he plays for the Jets or anybody.  That doesn't mean I don't consider it a shameful thing for the occurrence - just not something for which I blame him in any fashion.

            I wouldn't sign Troy to this team for this year were I general manager - he's been and remains a fantastic part of our teamhistory but he cannot break the roster.  He probably shouldn't have been on the team last year.  I honestly hope that ultimately he decides the best thing for him is to retire but I understand and welcome his power to choose differently and go somewhere else, I just wish it wasn't the case.

            In situations like Willie I believe it is because the Free Agency process gives little or no benefit to encourage positively a player to stay with the same team.  For example, I'd have a rule that would reduce the salary cap impact by a small percentage for every successive year a player is with a particular (same) team.  So while the player still gets the same money he would, the team's cap charge has benefit to longevity of a player with a team.

            This might not make a difference with Troy this year or last but probably would have made a difference with Willie and would generally increase the chance for players to stay with their original team  while not preventing them from going out anywhere else in the free agent periods.

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 19, 2008

              If he loves what he is doing.  If he can still play the game.  It is something he has been doing all his life to this point.  Why give it up?  I too often hear people saying things like they think such and such athlete should quit while they are still in the prime of their career.  What other occupation do people quit in the prime of their career?  How many people follow their own advice for these athletes?  I suspect most if not all stay in their careers well past their prime, as long as they are useful they stay.  So why not expect the same of athletes?

              Don

              (Wonder if Tedy will go to the Jets if we cut him here in a year or two?)