Re: [patriotzip] Guarenteed to get your blood pressure up!

  • George R
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 26, 2002
      --- amysuenbrian2 <amysuenbrian2@...> wrote:
      > Jim Donaldson: It was a Pats championship season never to be
      > forgotten -- or repeated
      >
      > 07/26/2002

      ***** A few moments of your time, please, Mr. Donaldson, while I shoot
      your arguements to pieces.

      ***** You should have stopped right there!

      > It also was a never-to-be-repeated season.
      >
      > Because you're not that good.
      >
      > What you are is lucky.
      >
      > Lucky that Tom Brady's fumble in the snow in the fourth quarter of
      > the AFC semifinal game was ruled an incompletion.
      >
      > Lucky that David Patten happened to be out of bounds with the ball
      > against his leg when he fumbled in Buffalo.
      >
      > Lucky that most of your starting lineup remained intact down the
      > stretch.
      >
      > Lucky that you had Drew Bledsoe ready to come off the bench when
      > Brady went down in the AFC Championship Game at Pittsburgh.
      >
      > Lucky that your rivals collapsed in the waning weeks of the regular
      > season and you not only avoided having to play a wild-card playoff
      > game, but also got to face the Raiders at home, in what turned out to
      > be a blizzard, rather than in Oakland, where the breaks have not
      > always gone New England's way.

      ***** And do you not think that virtually every SB champion could point
      to a similar number of "lucky" events that came together during their
      seasons? I'd be willing to bet you that you could pick a "lucky" play
      that helped the winner out of damn near every NFL game played every
      season. Such plays just stand out more when you look back at the season
      of a champion.

      > Yes, it was fabulous what you did last season.
      >
      > It was fantastic that you stunned the Rams in what ranks as the
      > biggest Super Bowl upset since Joe Namath and the upstart Jets of the
      > American Football League shocked Don Shula's NFL-champion Colts in
      > Super Bowl III.
      >
      > It also was a fluke.

      ***** How is the obvious superior coaching, which was acknowledged by
      most of the "experts" who now seem to have forgotten it, considered a
      fluke? The strategy and tactics used by BB & company against "the
      genius", Mike Martz, was the key element that led to our win in that
      game. We didn't stay close enough for that last drive to happen by
      being "lucky" throughout the entire game, Mr. Donaldson.

      > It was a sports happening for the ages. But it'll never happen again.
      > Not in a million years.

      ***** You're right. It won't happen in a million years. It'll happen
      THIS year!

      > Now listen, guys -- I'm not saying these things to be hurtful. Quite
      > the contrary. I'm trying to be helpful.
      >
      > I know how much you love being disrespected. I know how you thrive on
      > it. How you use it as a motivating factor.
      >
      > You used that "us-against-the-world" mentality last year to become
      > world champions.
      >
      > Nobody gave you any respect. Nobody gave you any props. Everybody
      > dissed you. Or so you thought, at any rate.
      >
      > And so you went out and proved everybody wrong.
      >
      > But now you're going to have to prove it again. Because you didn't
      > really convince anybody. Not anybody outside New England, anyway.
      > Certainly nobody in St. Louis. And not the "wiseguys" in Las Vegas,
      > either.
      >
      > According to the oddsmakers, not only are you not expected to repeat
      > as Super Bowl -- or even AFC -- champions, you're not even favored to
      > repeat as division champions. They've installed Miami as the team to
      > beat in the AFC East.

      ***** And I thank them very much for the 20-1 odds they gave me on the
      Pats to repeat as SB champions.

      ***** So I thought when I laid $100 on the "over"!

      > So, welcome to training camp, you Super Bowl-champion New England
      > Patriots.
      >
      > Obviously, I'm not the only one who doesn't think you're that good.
      >
      > But that's not a bad thing, because it makes you good and angry.
      >
      > For the last six months, everybody's been kissing your butts, telling
      > you how wonderful you are. Now that training camp is starting, it's
      > time for somebody to start kicking your butts and reminding you that
      > you're not as good as you think you are.
      >
      > Starting with your pretty-boy quarterback, Tom Brady, who, since
      > winning the Most Valuable Player Award in Super Bowl XXXVI, has posed
      > bare-chested for the cover of Sports Illustrated and was listed among
      > People magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People."
      >
      > Well, here are some ugly numbers: In the last five regular-season
      > games, Brady threw just two touchdown passes and had five
      > interceptions. In the three playoff games, he had only one TD pass
      > and three interceptions.
      >
      > And now teams have seen what he can do. They've spent the offseason
      > studying him. You don't think he has something to prove?
      >
      > Brady was a Wonder Boy last season, but it's no wonder that plenty of
      > people are wondering if he can even equal, much less exceed, his
      > accomplishments of a year ago.

      ***** All true. Now, care to tell me what he had for a receiving corps
      during that stretch? Care to tell me if that receiving corps has been
      upgraded at all during the off season?

      > New England's leading rusher last season was Antowain Smith, a guy
      > Buffalo -- the Bills, for crying out loud -- didn't want.

      ***** Didn't want because they didn't know how to use him. Belichick
      and Weis did. The guy had a great start in the NFL, then, inexplicably,
      Bum's idiot son Wade sat him down. He plays better standing up!

      > The leading receivers, Troy Brown and Patten, would have to stand on
      > each other's shoulders to be as tall as Randy Moss. And you haven't
      > had a real tight end since Ben Coates.

      ***** As noted earlier, this was a weakness. A weakness which affected
      Brady's ability to move the team consistently. Now, repeat after me:
      Donald Hayes, Christian Fauria, Daniel Graham. Thank you.

      > Defensively, you got away with playing a 245-pounder -- Tedy Bruschi
      > -- at middle linebacker for much of last season. And, although you
      > have a couple of stars in the secondary in cornerback Ty Law and
      > strong safety Lawyer Milloy, there's not a dominating player among
      > the front seven.

      ***** Right. That Seymour guy is a wimp! And Roman Phifer is clearly
      washed up! And how can we hope that Steve Martin and Rick Lyle will be
      able to make up for the loss of Brandon Mitchell?! And that secondary
      remains a mirage after Milloy and Law. Why, nothing of value has been
      added there during the off season ... unless you want to count Knight,
      Green, and C. Hayes as "value". Do you?

      > So welcome to training camp, you Super Bowl-champion New England
      > Patriots. You're coming off a season we'll never forget.
      >
      > But just remember -- you're not that good.

      ***** When you have some time, Mr Donaldson, please go to the ESPN web
      site and check the off season activity information. You might discover
      that the team you're talking about was not sleeping during the off
      season, as you obviously were.

      =====
      George 665 + 36 =
      ** World Champion N E Patriots **

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • George R
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 26, 2002
        --- John Warren <packy001@...> wrote:

        > ...my only question is Are we ready for some Football????

        ***** What? Right in the middle of baseball season? ;-)

        =====
        George 665 + 36 =
        ** World Champion N E Patriots **

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • Ian Logue
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 26, 2002
          I second that.

          Ian

        • starsarnottgood@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 26, 2002
            In a message dated 7/26/02 12:59:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time, kevinmoitoso@... writes:

            John,

            It is true you need some luck, but its not all luck,
            you also have to have skilled players too.

            sometimes its better to be lucky then good! lol! but we were good last year!! u cant say we wernt!~

            ~Maria~
            ~Go ReD SoX~
            ~
            Scott's Girl~
            "Don't cry because it's over: smile because it happened."
            "Dont let Carlos fool you. He's not that fast!"- Johnny Damon
            ~ If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.~
            ErIc ChAvEz: "LA Face With An Oakland Booty!"-
            ~#9~

          • George R
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 26, 2002
              --- starsarnottgood@... wrote:
              > In a message dated 7/26/02 12:59:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              > kevinmoitoso@... writes:
              >

              > > John,
              > >
              > > It is true you need some luck, but its not all luck,
              > > you also have to have skilled players too.
              > >

              > sometimes its better to be lucky then good! lol! but we were good
              > last year!!
              > u cant say we wernt!~

              ***** I prefer the old "Luck is the residue of good planning."

              =====
              George 665 + 36 =
              ** World Champion N E Patriots **

              http://health.yahoo.com
            • John Warren
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 26, 2002
                Maria,

                I am not saying that it was all luck ... thats where I
                take issue with Donaldson and agree with Ian. After
                those plays the Patriots still executed and took it
                away from Buffalo, Oakland and Pittsburgh. The Rams
                are still wondering why they aren't Champs ... they
                are in denial.

                http://health.yahoo.com
              • starsarnottgood@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 26, 2002
                  In a message dated 7/26/02 6:52:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, packy001@... writes:

                  Maria,

                  I am not saying that it was all luck ... thats where I
                  take issue with Donaldson and agree with Ian.  After
                  those plays the Patriots still executed and took it
                  away from Buffalo, Oakland and Pittsburgh.  The Rams
                  are still wondering why they aren't Champs ... they
                  are in denial.

                  and just the fact that pittsburgh cant belive it either!! i was watching something on tv i dont remeber wut it was but they were talking about the oakland game and they had all thsee players saying stuff like "it was a bull s*** call" and wut not and i dunno if they were on the other side of that call they would think it was right.. but i guess that goes for everyone huh?