Jets in a tailspin...

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
      Maybe it's me, but are the Jets digging a pretty deep hole or what.
      Fanaca, Pace, Jenkins, and Woody, to the tune of $137.5 million?
      From the NY Post...

      ********************

      In order to find some extra cash to make these maneuvers, the Jets
      started off their whirlwind day by agreeing to trade disappointing
      defensive tackle Dwayne Robertson to the Bengals in exchange for
      fourth- and fifth-round picks in next month's NFL Draft.

      The trade was made in large part to free up $8.4 million in salary-
      cap money, which the Jets were set to pour into their ongoing
      purchasing binge. But the deal was contingent on the Bengals being
      able to sign Robertson to a new contract, as he had two years
      remaining for $18 million and was scheduled to count an unmanageable
      $11.2 million on the 2008 salary cap.

      The Bengals were unable to strike a deal with Robertson and the
      trade was wiped out.

      "Right now Dwayne is a member of the organization," Tannenbaum
      said. "Obviously we were close [on a trade]. Our off-season program
      begins March 31 and unless anything changes between now and then we
      expect him to be here."

      Considering the Jets forked over $30 million to Jenkins to play nose
      tackle, Robertson does not seem to be an option the Jets can afford.

      The four deals for Jenkins, Faneca, Pace and Woody, negotiated in
      four days, not only adds up to $137.5 million of owner Woody
      Johnson's money but a hefty $63.5 million is guaranteed.

      ****************************

      So, they're still stuck with Robertson, too. And they still don't
      know who their starting QB is going to be. This is good stuff, for
      the Pats fan. :o)

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
        Definitely some interesting and detrimental to them detail.  They will have to work hard to trade him now as teams have an edge in knowing the Jets need to trade him.

        Also read that Asante Samuels was given a higher salary offer by the Jets but elected to go to the Eagles.  While I'm comfortable with Asante leaving for that type of money, it does lend credibility to his statements about money not being the only factor for him.  It was a big factor for sure but not the only one.

        Pats signed Webster from the Bills - once a quality starter in San Fran I don't honestly know enough about this small corner but I think he's a Randall Gay class player from my very limitted understanding.

        Mike Reiss also put up links on his blog to some national articles reviewing the AFC East as still quite favorable for the Pats.

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 6, 2008
          An article in the NY Daily News didn't sound good for the J-E-T-S.

          While the Jets have generated excitement by acquiring four big-money
          players, some of the team's returning veterans are looking at the
          bundles of cash and wondering, "When do I get mine? You pay guys you
          don't even know, and the guys in the locker room - the guys that
          have your back - you don't give a damn about them," one player said
          Tuesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "It shows where the
          loyalty is."

          Apparently several players have spoken up anonymously, voicing
          displeasure at all the money being thrown at FAs. Could Captain
          Mangini have a potential mutiny on his hands?

          fdb

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 6, 2008
            ***** Winning is the only thing that can pull the pro athletes of today together. BB is a proven winner. Patriots players, new and old, buy into the "team" concept here, and, as many have proven (Brady, Bruschi, Harrison, Moss, and others), they'll take less to be a part of the success they believe can be achieved here.

            ***** Exactly what has Mangini won? ... Exactly! Until and unless he and the Jets prove that they are a serious contender for the big ring, today's NFL players are ALWAYS  going to be focused primarily on DE DOLLAR, MAN! Pro sports is a "Show me the money" business for all but the very few teams and coaches that have built a rep as winners. On losing, or even "middle of the pack" winning teams, nearly every player is motivated by his individual bank account.

            An article in the NY Daily News didn't sound good for the J-E-T-S.

            While the Jets have generated excitement by acquiring four big-money
            players, some of the team's returning veterans are looking at the
            bundles of cash and wondering, "When do I get mine? You pay guys you
            don't even know, and the guys in the locker room - the guys that
            have your back - you don't give a damn about them," one player said
            Tuesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "It shows where the
            loyalty is."

            Apparently several players have spoken up anonymously, voicing
            displeasure at all the money being thrown at FAs. Could Captain
            Mangini have a potential mutiny on his hands?

            fdb

            --- In patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com, "Frank" <frank.dana@ ...> wrote:

            > Maybe it's me, but
            are the Jets digging a pretty deep hole or
            what.
            > Fanaca, Pace,
            Jenkins, and Woody, to the tune of $137.5 million?
            > From the NY
            Post...

            > ************ ********
            >
            > In order to
            find some extra cash to make these maneuvers, the Jets
            > started off
            their whirlwind day by agreeing to trade disappointing
            > defensive tackle
            Dwayne Robertson to the Bengals in exchange for
            > fourth- and fifth-round
            picks in next month's NFL Draft.

            > The trade was made in large
            part to free up $8.4 million in salary-
            > cap money, which the Jets were
            set to pour into their ongoing
            > purchasing binge. But the deal was
            contingent on the Bengals being
            > able to sign Robertson to a new
            contract, as he had two years
            > remaining for $18 million and was
            scheduled to count an
            unmanageable
            > $11.2 million on the 2008 salary
            cap.

            > The Bengals were unable to strike a deal with Robertson
            and the
            > trade was wiped out.
            >
            > "Right now Dwayne is a
            member of the organization, " Tannenbaum
            > said. "Obviously we were
            close [on a trade]. Our off-season
            program
            > begins March 31 and
            unless anything changes between now and then
            we
            > expect him to be
            here."

            > Considering the Jets forked over $30 million to Jenkins
            to play
            nose
            > tackle, Robertson does not seem to be an option the
            Jets can
            afford.

            > The four deals for Jenkins, Faneca, Pace
            and Woody, negotiated in
            > four days, not only adds up to $137.5 million
            of owner Woody
            > Johnson's money but a hefty $63.5 million is
            guaranteed.

            > ************ ********* *******
            >
            > So, they're still stuck with Robertson, too. And they still don't
            > know who their starting QB is going to be. This is good stuff, for
            > the Pats fan. :o)
            >
            > fdb

          • Jan Smyth
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 6, 2008
              "When do I get mine?"

              If I were an incumbant 4-12 Jet, I wouldn't be asking for mine -- I'd be happy I had a job. After all, they did give the boot to Justin "I can't hold onto the ball" McCareins and Andre "Another missed tackle" Dyson.

            • Jan Smyth
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 6, 2008
                I'd cut Magnini some slack. He's had one playoff season and one miserable season. It's only his third year as a head coach. Time will tell what the moves the Jets are making now will reap.

              • Frank
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 6, 2008
                  Valid point. We remember Belichick's first head coaching experience,
                  in Cleveland. Rather underwhelming. Then 5-11 in his first season
                  here. A new coach needs a couple years to put his imprint on the
                  team. It's wait and see at this point.

                  fdb

                  --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Jan Smyth <jansmyth001@...> wrote:

                  > I'd cut Magnini some slack. He's had one playoff season and one
                  miserable season. It's only his third year as a head coach. Time
                  will tell what the moves the Jets are making now will reap.

                  > George <patswingr@...> wrote:
                  > ***** Winning is the only thing that can pull the pro athletes of
                  today together. BB is a proven winner. Patriots players, new and
                  old, buy into the "team" concept here, and, as many have proven
                  (Brady, Bruschi, Harrison, Moss, and others), they'll take less to
                  be a part of the success they believe can be achieved here.

                  > ***** Exactly what has Mangini won? ... Exactly! Until and
                  unless he and the Jets prove that they are a serious contender for
                  the big ring, today's NFL players are ALWAYS going to be focused
                  primarily on DE DOLLAR, MAN! Pro sports is a "Show me the money"
                  business for all but the very few teams and coaches that have built
                  a rep as winners. On losing, or even "middle of the pack" winning
                  teams, nearly every player is motivated by his individual bank
                  account.
                  > George
                  > An imperfect fan of the imperfect Patriots!
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------

                • Jan Smyth
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 6, 2008
                    You're rught, Frank. I think it was back when Jimmy Johnson turned Dallas around in five (?) years time, that most folks agreed five years was the magic number needed to turn around a losing team. Today, it seems like people throw up their hands and say, "Get rid of the bum." after just a couple. Expectations increase. Patience decrease. Instant gratification and all that jazz, I guess.

                    I, for one, believe in the old Proverb: "Good things come to those who wait." After all, how many years were the Pats a laughing stock?

                  • Jan Smyth
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6, 2008
                      I personally harbor no animosity toward him. Do you despise him because he left the Pats or because he's a Jet or for some other reason?

                      ***** While I despise Mangini, that wasn't a rip at him, Jan. I was simply pointing out that he hasn't had enough success, at this point, to overcome the "Show the me the money" mentality of most NFL players today. He may, indeed, become a winner some day. But, in all honesty, I wish him nothing but the worst!

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 6, 2008

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 6, 2008
                          ***** All of the above, Jan. BB all but begged him to stay for another year or two, for both his own sake, and for the Patriots. There is no doubt that he would  have been more prepared for a HC position; or that he would have had a good opportunity when that time came, since I can't recall any season in which a few HC jobs didn't open up.

                          ***** The fact that he went to a Division rival also bothers me, although a lot less than the leaving itself. If it had happened a couple of year later, I couldn't fault him for taking whatever he considered the best job available.

                          ***** But the biggest reason is most certainly the knife in the back reporting of the video taping thing. It was clearly done out of spite. Let's not dredge it all up again. I only mention it because you asked why I despise Mangini. Now you have it. Let's drop it there.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 6, 2008
                            I don't mind that he opted to leave nor that he took the job with the Jets.  My issue is purely with the plane ride back from the Denver Playoff loss in 2006 in which Mangini began trying to convince several of his defensive players to join him in New York.  They appropriately reported his activity and by the time the plane landed he was locked out of his office having show a willingness to abuse his present link to the benefit of his future job.  This started the feud and is the only thing I ultimately think is unacceptable.

                            Anything and everything else I'm comfortable with even if I don't necessarily think it was his best choice or the best choice for the league.

> [...]

                            > "Right now Dwayne is a member of the organization, " Tannenbaum
                            > said. "Obviously we were close [on a trade]. Our off-season
                            program
                            > begins March 31 and unless anything changes between now and then
                            we
                            > expect him to be here."
                            >
                            > Considering the Jets forked over $30 million to Jenkins to play
                            nose
                            > tackle, Robertson does not seem to be an option the Jets can
                            afford.

                            > The four deals for Jenkins, Faneca, Pace and Woody, negotiated in
                            > four days, not only adds up to $137.5 million of owner Woody
                            > Johnson's money but a hefty $63.5 million is guaranteed.

                            > So, they're still stuck with Robertson, too. And they still don't
                            > know who their starting QB is going to be. This is good stuff, for

                          • Jan Smyth
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 6, 2008
                              I wasn't aware of his recruiting antics on the plane trip. Not very professional.