In GB, no Moss, no Favre...

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
      One day after Randy re-signed with the Pats, Brett has announced his
      retirement.

      http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
      AID=/20080304/PKR01/80304041

      Farewell #4. Next stop, NFL HOF.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
        I saw that this morning too...it seems as though it's time for him to go. I guess it's only him that can decide, but he's had a good career and now he can move onto something else.
        Is everybody happy about the Moss contract? I am for the most part, but I'm now thinking about what one poster said about the fact that looking for Moss at times throws him off his game. I guess they can tweak that in the training camps this year.
        Will the Sam Aiken addition be good for us?
        I'm bummed about Asante and even more so that it goes to a rival of my NFC team..grrr.

        Susan
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
          Kudos to Farvre on an excellent career and without a doubt he'll go into the Hall of Fame but I'd never list him amongst the top quarterbacks of all time.  He was impressive for his astounding streak of consecutive games played and for the fun he had in playing the game.  He could throw the ball hard and his scrambling bought time for the deep ball that was truly worthy of respect but he also made many poor decisions and failed to throw with touch when it would have made his team better on many occasions.  I'm not just knocking the guy because he's been a fine QB with an amazing career.  I'm just giving his career some perspective.  Better than a Bledsoe by far and not on a par with Brady, Elway, Montanna, young, Aikman, Marino and many of the older folks George knows so well :) ;-)

          Goodby to Farvre and Congratulations.  I think he's chosen his time well, he goes out on top of his game rather than the blip of the prior year's misery.

        • rockmaul74@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
            Suprised brett didnt wait till training camp opened to make a decision again.....

            One day after Randy re-signed with the Pats, Brett has announced his
            retirement.

            http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
            AID=/20080304/PKR01/80304041

            Farewell #4. Next stop, NFL HOF.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:patriotzip-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:patriotzip-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
              ***** Thanks for the memories, Brett. Unlike some, I believe that he's a very genuine, very nice guy. I hope he finds something that will bring him something close to the joy that he clearly got from playing football. He is one of my favorite non-Patriot players in NFL history. I applaud his great career; and I applaud his certain induction into the NFL HOF!

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
                ***** You forgot Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, and Norm Van Brocklin! :-)

[...]

              • Don Diamant
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008

                  I would add Roger Staughbach to that list and subtract Young.  Young was good but I still think his greatest claim to fame was supplanting an aging Montanna, he wasn’t in the same category as Montanna, he had all the weapons but never had the same successes.

                  Don

[...]

                • Jan Smyth
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2008
                    Hate to see him go. He leaves befind a very young and talented team. Which is why I thought he'd give it one more year. But I'm sure the toughest thing in the world must be looking in the mirror and saying the word, "Enough."

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 5, 2008
                      ***** Not for me. With this face and body, about 3 seconds looking in the mirror, and I'm saying "enough"! ;-)