NPC: Spam/Email Filtering Tools

  • Steve Basile
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2008
      NPC: Spam/Email Filtering Tools This has No Patriot Content (except the attachment & a teeny bit at the end)

      I get tons of spam.  I have had a public email address for many years and it's out there for all the spam bots to harvest.  Monday mornings I get 2-300 messages, which are filtered automatically down to the 20 or so that are real by the best spam filtering tool I have ever run across--but it's on Mac only.

      If you are a Mac user, and want to filter all your spam (and people you don't want to get email from--hint hint) run to Bains Software http://www.bainsware.com/spamsweep and try SpamSweep to make your life livable again.  It's $25 shareware--you pay if you use it and like it.  Heck, if you don't like it I'll send you $25 worth of Paypal or something--it's that good.  I have no connection to this company other than as a beta tester and confirmed user for 2 years.  I MIGHT get one or two spams a MONTH (false negatives) in my inbox now, and no more than 1 or 2 messages marked as spam (false positives) in 3 months that I can retrieve and deliver once I "tell it" that it's a good message.

      I’m sure there is an equivalent on Windows.  Look for a Bayesian filtering program (no relation)  Some are reviewed here: http://tinyurl.com/2l8sqv

      They are simple to set up, and once “trained” (marking good messages as good, spam as spam) the system will learn quickly and make informed decisions about spam before it hits your inbox.  All mail is “safe” and available—you don’t lose anything and can always overturn the program’s decision.

      Go Pats!

      Baze
      --
      Steve Basile