RE: [SPAM] RE: [patriotzip] The LB Situation (was: Re: Still so sad.....)

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
      ***** I wasn't intimating that Tedy and Junior "lost" this game, Don. I said very clearly in my game related summary that the OL, Brady, and the secondary were the primary factors in the loss of the game.

      ***** In this post, I was looking to the future of the team, and the overall situation. I believe that we are not fast enough from the ILB spots to get to the outside (against many, if not most teams); and that neither Tedy nor Junior are capable of consistently solid pass coverage in the intermediate middle area against TEs and slot receivers. I think it's time to put younger, faster players into those positions, rather than to continue depending upon these two great players (and great people) for "one year too long".

      ***** Is their experience valuable? Of course it is. The fact that they are great LBs, with superb recognition skills, is a major contributor to their ability to still play at a high level, in most situations, at their age. But Willie McGinest has great recognition skills too. He lost a step or two, and he's gone. That hurt me tremendously, since I've always been a major fan of Willie McGinest. But it was the best move for this football team.

      ***** I don't suggest the replacement of Tedy and Junior with even a hint of rancor or accusations toward these guys. I love both of them, and everything they've brought to the Patriots, and to the game in general. But nobody plays forever. They're old, Don. It happens to every athlete. There are now weaknesses in their game that did not exist 3-4 years ago. It's time to move on.