Victor Green is signed.

  • pfsikh
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
      As reported in projo.com.

      07/14/2002

      BY TOM E. CURRAN
      Journal Sports Writer

      In April, former Jet Victor Green talked to the Patriots about coming
      to play for them.

      "Get it done," is the message Green said he gave head coach Bill
      Belichick and director of player personnel Scott Pioli.

      Eventually, they got around to honoring Green's request.

      The 5-foot-11, 210-pound safety has agreed to a one-year deal with
      the Patriots. The terms, Green said, are still being hashed out. The
      Patriots won out over Houston, Atlanta and Tennessee.

      "I have a good feeling coming up there and playing for Belichick and
      that staff," Green said from his home in Atlanta yesterday. "I'm
      coming to a familiar place with a lot of faces I'll recognize and
      that's a big thing. I won't feel like an outsider coming to a new
      team."

      Green, 32, was released by the Jets on Feb. 28, just days before he
      was to receive a $2-million bonus. He made it plain in April that he
      wanted to recoup as much of that as he could with his new team.
      Initial talks with the Pats fell apart because they couldn't agree on
      money.

      "At the time, their offer didn't suit me, but they kept in contact
      and we were able to work it out," he said.

      Since coming into the league as an undrafted free agent from the
      University of Akron in 1993, Green has developed into one of the
      steadier safeties in the league. Since 1997, he's had 21
      interceptions and more than 1,000 tackles. Not only has Green played
      every game since 1997, he says he hasn't even missed a practice.

      His imminent arrival immediately makes the battle for the starting
      free-safety spot an intriguing one. Tebucky Jones finally emerged in
      the latter half of last season as a reliable every-down player. Now
      that Green is in the mix, how does that change Jones's equation as he
      enters the last year of his contract?

      "I spoke with coach about that and he said I'll have every
      opportunity to come in and play," said Green. "I'm not coming in to
      ride the bench. We'll have every opportunity in preseason and
      training camp to show what we can do. Whoever works out the best will
      play on Sundays. But I'm not coming in to take someone's spot, I'm
      coming in looking at an opportunity to play for the world champions."

      Green, who hits people hard, is the third safety signed this
      offseason, following Chris Hayes and Rob Kelly. Last season, he had
      110 tackles (67 solos) and three interceptions. The skinny on him is
      that he's tough, dependable and a proven leader known for being a
      good teammate. All those traits are high on the Patriots list of
      demands.

      With this signing, the Patriots are sticking by their well-worn and
      successful formula of signing veterans who've done time in
      Belichick's system. It worked last year with Roman Phifer and Bryan
      Cox. It's been working with Otis Smith for two years. How well it
      works with Green will be interesting to see unfold.
    • Kevin Moitoso
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2002
        I think Green is a great pickup and I think he will
        take the starting job away from Tebucky Jones. There
        is no question that Green is much more talented than
        Jones is. What do you guys think?

        Kevin Moitoso

        http://autos.yahoo.com
      • Rob Bosch
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 15, 2002
          First of all...don't worry Zip...I won't say I told you so :-). As for who's
          better between Tebucky and Green, I think it's a moot point. They're both
          going to play a lot, and this will even give the Pats a chance to rest
          Milloy once in a while. The interesting thing to me is that this is....I
          believe...Tebucky's last year under contract. This might make it a little
          harder for Tebucky to make his case for getting a huge raise. As it is the
          Pats have one safety making a ton of money. Can you have two highly paid
          safeties on your team? I don't think so. That being said, I really like
          Tebucky. He's a ferocious hitter and one hell of a special team's player.
          He's improved every year. Obviously he's a lot younger than Green so he
          would seem to represent the future at safety. But he might present the Pats
          with a problem after this year. It will be interesting to see how the Pats
          deal with it.

          -Pats Freak

        • PatriotZip
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 16, 2002
            I think Tebucky performed very well from the mid-point of last season
            onward. I think he was a very underated part of this team. Victor
            Green has been a much better safety than Tebucky but Tebucky has the
            speed, size and now enough familiarity with the system to play very
            competently. I think there IS question whether Green is still much
            more talented. He's great depth and will have plenty of playing time
            but I'm not certain he will unseat Tebucky. Motivate him? Yes!
            Teach him? Yes! Keep his contract in line next year? Probably.

          • PatriotZip
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16, 2002
              Damn! I should just let Freak speak and say Ibid!

              Got a guarantee on next week's lottery number oh Freakish Swami?

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 16, 2002
                My "freakish" intuition only works with the Pats. I do not have this
                clairevoyant ability in any other aspect of my life, which is quite sad. Oh
                well...

                -Pats Freak