RE: [patriotzip] FA Impact Analysis by Position

  • Rob Bosch
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10 8:32 AM
      Ah...football is in the air again...I love it. July is the time when a young
      man's fancy turns to thoughts of spirals...or something like that.

      Anyway, nice job Phil. I'm pretty much in total agreement with you. I think
      every Pat's fan knows that LB is the thinnest position on the team. I like
      the starters a lot. If they stay healthy then I have no problem with this
      unit. Luckily, Phifer and Bruschi have proven to be very durable throughout
      their careers. Not so luckily, I can't say the same for Vrabel and T.
      Johnson. Vrabel was healthy all of last year, but I don't think that's been
      the norm for him. As for Johnson, we are all very familiar with his injury
      history.

      I agree that losing Buckley is not that big a concern. His erratic play was
      very frustrating at times. As for Stevens, that guy drove me crazy. His
      propensity for late hits was infuriating. And who could forget the time he
      jumped over a receiver without touching him, thus allowing the receiver to
      get up and gain additional yardage. I say good riddance. I am looking for
      big things from Tom Knight, and even from Leonard Meyers. And don't forget
      Brock Williams, who was injured all of last year. There should be plenty of
      competition at the corner position. As for safety, they are in good hands
      with Milloy and Jones, and I still think Victor Green will be a Patriot
      before all is said and done.

      I love what the Pats did at receiver, and I am happy there are more options
      at tight end. You are correct in noting that Fauria and Cleeland are medical
      risks. In the end, I think Graham will be the guy anyway so I'm not too
      concerned. Graham played a lot in college and was THE man at Colorado, so I
      expect him to pick things up quickly.

      I am very happy with the offensive line position. Now analyze that statement
      carefully...it's pretty amazing huh? Think back to this time last year, and
      all any of us could talk about was the uncertainty at this position. Now we
      have a solid line, with two or three guys in reserve who may challenge for
      playing time. Those players would be Tylski, Kenyatta Jones, and Klemm.
      Jones is the guy to really watch out for, as I think that BB really wants to
      find a place for him in the starting lineup.

      At defensive line I am pretty happy. I really like the Steve Martin for
      Brandon Mitchell swap. Mitchell was undersized for the DT position, whereas
      Martin is a 310 pounder that knows how to anchor and play the run. Bringing
      in Lyle gives the Pats another wise veteran that knows the BB scheme. What
      the Pats are lacking is a genuine pass rusher...but that's been the case for
      years. McGinest is not that guy, even when healthy. Luckily BB knows how to
      scheme things to create a pass rush.

      Well that's my analysis. There will be lots more to come of course. Let's
      get ready for some football.

      -Pats Freak

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10 9:18 AM
        You are absolutely right when you say Matt Stevens
        sucked last year, I mean I could have done just as
        good a job as he did.

        Kevin Moitoso

        === message truncated ===

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • PatriotZip
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11 4:54 AM
          Quick nit:
          - CB Terrell Buckley Buccaneers
          + CB Terrance Shaw Raiders
          + CB Tom Knight Cardinals

          Though Shaw's absence may be an addition - it isn't a player addition
          so this was an error Phil. Why is it Phil's advice to consider
          himself null seems erudite to me?

          This was a decent analysis although you ceased an important aspect
          part way through. Denoting whether the position is upgraded or
          downgraded overall. I also think you must consider the major draft
          picks in this equation. Round 1 and 2 are very likely to have impact
          to the group this year. Rate our DL last year by free agency and we
          downgraded but Seymour's overachievements (hard to predict that much)
          made it a clear upgrade. Similarly Graham (as Freak says) is enough
          to upgrade the TE position on his own. Similarly with Branch for the
          WR corps.

          Hey Freak - is Victor Green your Bryan Cox guarantee of last year?

          One last note - the tailgate archive has the AFC Championship Party
          uploaded. Freak and Phil each make an appearance...
        • Rob Bosch
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11 5:56 AM
            Yeah why the heck not....Victor Green will be a Patriot...guaranteed! I
            don't feel quite as sure as I did about Bryan Cox last year, but I'm
            confident enough to put my word behind it.

            -Pats Freak