FA Impact Analysis by Position

  • philw1776@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2002
      A - indicates someone departing for FA and a + indicates a new player added
      via FA.

      - WR Charles Johnson Biils
      - WR Curtis Jackson Chiefs
      - WR Terry Glenn Packers
      + WR Donald Hayes Panthers

      Net improvement as Glenn was a DNP for most of the season. Hayes & Patten
      fight for the 2-3 WR slot. #2 draft pick Branch gives additional potential
      improvement at 4th WR.

      - TE Rod Rutledge Texans
      - TE Jermaine Wiggins Colts
      + TE Christian Fauria Seahawks
      + TE Cam Cleeland Saints

      Whereas anything that results in Rutledge leaving appears to be an
      improvement, the physical injury propensity for Fauria makes this a real
      unknown. I think Cleeland has a 10% chance to be healthy. Note that we
      also have two virtual 2nd year rookies and a #1 draft pick in the mix here.
      BB hadda been really pissed off about his TE play last season.

      - CB Terrell Buckley Buccaneers
      + CB Terrance Shaw Raiders
      + CB Tom Knight Cardinals
      + CB Tony Scott Jets

      I see this as an upgrade because I think that coaching TBUCK was like herding
      cats. Would deviate from the coverage and either blow it or make a great
      play. Plus I like last year's #3 pick in the mix. Problem is that Otis is
      now about BAMA's age.

      - DT Brandon Mitchell Seahawks
      + DE Rick Lyle Jets
      + DT Steve Martin Jets

      I like this virtual trade. Hope Jason Sayler can fill the wide body NT-ish
      role.

      - LB Andy Katzenmoyer released
      - LB Brian Cox not re-signed NOrleans
      + LB Ryan Phillips Colts

      Even though Kat was a DNP last year, Cox was a motivator and solid backup
      despite breaking an ankle. Phifer returns but is getting old and TJ needs to
      avoid the injury bug. An area of concern.

      + OL Rich Tylski Steelers
      A contender to start. An improved area. Plus, the younger OLs are ready to
      blossom or get cut (Klemm),

      + RB Scott Dragos Bears
      An H back contender to make Patrick Pass improve or get cut.

      - S Matt Stevens Texans
      - S Hakim Akbar Texans
      + S Daryl Porter Titans
      + S Chris Hayes Jets

      Viewed as a 2 for 2 trade, I see this as an improvement. Stevens was outa
      control, lotsa penalties. The unsolved mystery was why did BB play Stevens
      so much and then let him go?

      - QB Drew Bledsoe Bills
      Lost a good starter and super backup, but 2002's #2 Huard has won in the NFL.

      -philw (send corrections and criticisms to dev/null)
    • Rob Bosch
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2002
        Ah...football is in the air again...I love it. July is the time when a young
        man's fancy turns to thoughts of spirals...or something like that.

        Anyway, nice job Phil. I'm pretty much in total agreement with you. I think
        every Pat's fan knows that LB is the thinnest position on the team. I like
        the starters a lot. If they stay healthy then I have no problem with this
        unit. Luckily, Phifer and Bruschi have proven to be very durable throughout
        their careers. Not so luckily, I can't say the same for Vrabel and T.
        Johnson. Vrabel was healthy all of last year, but I don't think that's been
        the norm for him. As for Johnson, we are all very familiar with his injury
        history.

        I agree that losing Buckley is not that big a concern. His erratic play was
        very frustrating at times. As for Stevens, that guy drove me crazy. His
        propensity for late hits was infuriating. And who could forget the time he
        jumped over a receiver without touching him, thus allowing the receiver to
        get up and gain additional yardage. I say good riddance. I am looking for
        big things from Tom Knight, and even from Leonard Meyers. And don't forget
        Brock Williams, who was injured all of last year. There should be plenty of
        competition at the corner position. As for safety, they are in good hands
        with Milloy and Jones, and I still think Victor Green will be a Patriot
        before all is said and done.

        I love what the Pats did at receiver, and I am happy there are more options
        at tight end. You are correct in noting that Fauria and Cleeland are medical
        risks. In the end, I think Graham will be the guy anyway so I'm not too
        concerned. Graham played a lot in college and was THE man at Colorado, so I
        expect him to pick things up quickly.

        I am very happy with the offensive line position. Now analyze that statement
        carefully...it's pretty amazing huh? Think back to this time last year, and
        all any of us could talk about was the uncertainty at this position. Now we
        have a solid line, with two or three guys in reserve who may challenge for
        playing time. Those players would be Tylski, Kenyatta Jones, and Klemm.
        Jones is the guy to really watch out for, as I think that BB really wants to
        find a place for him in the starting lineup.

        At defensive line I am pretty happy. I really like the Steve Martin for
        Brandon Mitchell swap. Mitchell was undersized for the DT position, whereas
        Martin is a 310 pounder that knows how to anchor and play the run. Bringing
        in Lyle gives the Pats another wise veteran that knows the BB scheme. What
        the Pats are lacking is a genuine pass rusher...but that's been the case for
        years. McGinest is not that guy, even when healthy. Luckily BB knows how to
        scheme things to create a pass rush.

        Well that's my analysis. There will be lots more to come of course. Let's
        get ready for some football.

        -Pats Freak

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        {short description of image}
        <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/de/debtscape/dt_60_468x60north.gif>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • Kevin Moitoso
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2002
          You are absolutely right when you say Matt Stevens
          sucked last year, I mean I could have done just as
          good a job as he did.

          Kevin Moitoso

          === message truncated ===

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • PatriotZip
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002
            Quick nit:
            - CB Terrell Buckley Buccaneers
            + CB Terrance Shaw Raiders
            + CB Tom Knight Cardinals

            Though Shaw's absence may be an addition - it isn't a player addition
            so this was an error Phil. Why is it Phil's advice to consider
            himself null seems erudite to me?

            This was a decent analysis although you ceased an important aspect
            part way through. Denoting whether the position is upgraded or
            downgraded overall. I also think you must consider the major draft
            picks in this equation. Round 1 and 2 are very likely to have impact
            to the group this year. Rate our DL last year by free agency and we
            downgraded but Seymour's overachievements (hard to predict that much)
            made it a clear upgrade. Similarly Graham (as Freak says) is enough
            to upgrade the TE position on his own. Similarly with Branch for the
            WR corps.

            Hey Freak - is Victor Green your Bryan Cox guarantee of last year?

            One last note - the tailgate archive has the AFC Championship Party
            uploaded. Freak and Phil each make an appearance...
          • Rob Bosch
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002
              Yeah why the heck not....Victor Green will be a Patriot...guaranteed! I
              don't feel quite as sure as I did about Bryan Cox last year, but I'm
              confident enough to put my word behind it.

              -Pats Freak