Bill Belichick article

  • amysuenbrian2
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2002
      Excellent article about our Super coach

      http://www.profootballweekly.com/content/features/features_set.asp?
      main=coachinglife_070802.asp
    • PatriotZip
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2002
        Thanks - a very good read indeed. This is the crux of the article
        for me:

        *****In some ways, the foundation for his Super Bowl success with the
        Patriots was built from his failure with the Browns.

        "I think some of his methods of doing certain things have changed,
        and I think … any person who doesn't evolve and doesn't change and
        thinks that they have all the answers isn't going to succeed," said
        Patriots director of player personnel Scott Pioli, who got his first
        NFL job when Belichick hired him in Cleveland in 1992. "And I'll tell
        you, one of the things I really respect about Bill is, he is
        analytical not only of other teams' offenses and other teams'
        defenses and his players, he's very analytical of his own self and
        his own abilities. And one of the things that I think the players
        really respect about Bill … is, Bill is a humble guy. He's not afraid
        to be self analytical and change some of the things. I think that
        some people see that from leadership as a sign of weakness. To me,
        it's a tremendous strength. And yes, a number of his methods have
        changed since those days. And good for him that he learned that some
        of those things had to change." *****

        When BB was hired I thought it a mistake. I thought we paid too high
        a price in draft picks for a coach who lacked what it took to be head
        coach at the top. I under valued his change - in large part because
        he so badly handled the leaving of the Jets job. I'd love to know
        the scuttlebutt of that whole ordeal in his war with Bill Parcells.

        HJe blew it at the end in Cleveland but the sigs for that failure
        were not just Modell's sell out but also BB's decisions along the
        way. Thankfully he seems to have truly learned and adapted... this
        year can confirm that...