Training Camp Tidbits....

  • Karen Cardoza
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2002

      ---------- BB about the future of Bryant College.  Personally, I hope they stay put!

      Camp winds down

      8 Jun 02 / by Shane Donaldson
       <snip>
      Part of the reason the camp came off so smoothly was the new facilities available at the Patriots new home, CMGI Field. With the added amenities inside the stadium for the team, meetings and film sessions were more efficient, one factor that has Belichick and the team open to discussion about conducting training camp on the grounds in the future.

      “We've talked about it and it is a possibility,” Belichick said. “We'd have to work through a couple of logistical things here. The housing would obviously be the No. 1 thing.”

      One key to holding camp at Bryant College is the ability to house the players in the dorm rooms on campus. With the housing comes a sense of camaraderie that can be built among the players.

      “I think it is a little bit of a tradeoff,” Belichick said. “I think there is some value to it, but on the flip side when you go away you just can't duplicate the facilities that we have here. I mean we could duplicate the facilities at Foxboro [Stadium], but we couldn't duplicate the weight room or the training room, the video equipment and just the efficiency that we have here would be a lot better than we could have at training camp. So that would be the plus, but the bonding, the going away to camp and being in some place that is not as nice as this gives you a little more of an appreciation for coming back here. So I think there are points on both sides.”
      --------- And about the decision to nix the trip to practice with the Giants..... (also better for me....more time in Smithfield before my vacation.)

      Notes

      Because of the way the NFL preseason schedule played out, the Patriots will not be traveling to Albany, N.Y. to practice with the New York Giants during training camp, as had been discussed.

      Last season the Giants spent a few days at Bryant College, and New England planned on returning the favor this year. However, the Giants were tabbed for the Hall of Fame game on Aug. 5 against the expansion Houston Texans.

      “I talked to Jim [Fassel] about that and that is something that we wanted to work out last year, but since they have the Hall of Fame game, which is a Monday night game, it just would make the week too short for them on the other end,” said Belichick, who added there were no plans to workout with any other teams during camp. “We will just play the regular preseason schedule and start with the Giants. Had they not had the Hall of Fame game I think that would have worked out, but since they are opening with Houston it just really squeezes that week down with them playing Monday night.”…

      Karen <------- fan of the World Champion New England Patriots
      "I have fought a good fight,
      I have finished my course,
      I have kept the faith."