Brady working out

  • amysuenbrian2
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2002
      Brady eager to get back to Pats

      by Michael Felger
      Friday, May 31, 2002

      Tom Brady sat in the stands with teammate Troy Brown at Continental
      Airlines Arena in New Jersey on Wednesday night and soaked in the
      atmosphere. Brady's new favorite basketball team, the Celtics, was
      continuing its surprise run through the NBA playoffs, and the
      Patriots quarterback couldn't help but feel the championship juices
      that still run through his veins.

      ``I'm so friggin' excited to get back out there it's ridiculous,''
      said Brady yesterday. ``I think we're going to be better.''

      For the first time since beating the St. Louis Rams in New Orleans,
      Brady and the Super Bowl champion Pats will return to the field next
      week when Bill Belichick runs his charges through a passing camp and
      a mandatory team minicamp. The week will close with the presentation
      of the championship rings.

      The camps will offer an early glimpse at the new weapons at Brady's
      disposal. At tight end, Brady suddenly has a hotshot rookie, Daniel
      Graham, to go along with two proven veterans, Christian Fauria and
      Cam Cleeland. At receiver, Brady finally has a size target, Donald
      Hayes, to go along with possession men Troy Brown and David Patten.
      As far as the passing game goes, it will be a dramatically different
      team.

      It's only one of the reasons for Brady's optimism.

      ``Just go up and down our roster,'' he said. ``I'm going to be
      better. Antowain Smith is going to be better. Marc Edwards will have
      another year in the offense. Troy will be Troy. And what about Matt
      Light? He was hurt all year last year. We just have so much more room
      for error. Last year we really had none.

      ``Last year, we found the things we did well and we'd scheme our
      offense to do those things over and over. We just disguised it all
      sorts of different ways. This year we have more guys, more size, more
      speed. We'll be able to dictate.''

      Workout warrior

      Many observers will be curious to see how Brady looks after a hectic
      offseason. The early impressions should be impressive.

      After months in the weight room, Brady has put around five more
      pounds of muscle on his 6-foot-4 frame. After playing at 213 pounds
      for much of last year, Brady now checks in at 218. When the trainers
      ran the players through a strength test last month, Brady posted the
      best scores of his career.

      Brady's arm has gotten stronger as a result. He's also worked on his
      straight-line speed and at being more firm with the ball in the
      pocket (he fumbled 12 times last year). But, as much as anything
      else, Brady has spent hours in the team's new film rooms at CMGI
      Field with Belichick and offensive coordinator Charlie Weis. Brady
      has seen that his timing on intermediate throws needs work and his
      downfield accuracy could be better.

      ``Last year we took what defenses gave us,'' said Brady. ``This year,
      the times we get a chance downfield, we have to hit it.''

      Ask anyone associated with the Pats and they'll tell you Brady is the
      hardest working player on the team. Brady is once again the favorite
      to own the front-row parking spot in the players' lot at training
      camp, an honor that goes to the player who put in the most time in
      the offseason program.

      Cover boy

      Brady's offseason focus has been questioned. The Super Bowl MVP has
      done several national magazine spreads and has made a host of high-
      profile appearances. Local gossip columns have had him out on the
      town in Boston with Mariah Carey and working on dates with Brittany
      Spears.

      Brady laughs at most of it. For every gig Brady has accepted, he's
      turned down 20. He's going out in public less than ever. He's never
      spoken to Spears.

      ``The Carey thing, I mean, big deal,'' said Brady. ``I met her at a
      party. We danced next to each other on a dance floor for a few
      seconds. Please. And Brittany Spears? What was that all about?''

      Brady has adjusted his lifestyle to deal with his celebrity. More
      than ever, he's stayed close to teammates such as Brown, Mike Vrabel,
      Lawyer Milloy, Larry Izzo and Damon Huard.

      ``Lawyer gave me the best advice. He just told me to do what you do
      and be who you are,'' said Brady. ``There's nothing you can do about
      it. I went from someone who no one really knew to a recognizable
      person in the city. So a lot of the things I enjoy doing, now it's a
      challenge. But what are you going to do? Sit inside your house by
      yourself and eat pizza? I don't think that's the way to go about it
      either.''

      ``All I know is that nothing is going to get in the way of me
      becoming a better football player.''

      On his own

      For the first time in his pro career, Brady no longer has Drew
      Bledsoe to lean on and compete with. Brady is now the Patriots
      franchise quarterback, something that doesn't faze him in the least.

      ``That doesn't enter into my thinking anymore,'' said Brady, who ran
      into Bledsoe at a Boston restaurant two weeks ago and spoke to his
      former teammate for the first time since the trade. ``I think I know
      what it takes. We won the Super Bowl - and I learned a lot from it.''

      The only potential problem on the horizon is Brady's contract. Brady
      is slated to make minimum money next season ($398,000) and then
      become a restricted free agent. The Pats have a choice: They can step
      up and lock in Brady for big dollars or they can risk losing him to
      another team after the season. Either way, Brady won't let it become
      a distraction.

      ``I'm staying out of it,'' said Brady. ``It's real easy to lose
      perspective as a professional athlete. Damon and I were driving
      around the other day and I just said, `How lucky are we to be
      professional football players?' And I'm getting paid for it. It's
      great. I signed up to play, so I'm going to play. Hopefully all that
      other stuff will work itself out.''

      ----------

      Mr. Irrelevant is returning to New England. Linebacker and special
      teams ace Marty Moore, the last player taken in the 1994 draft, has
      agreed to a deal with the Pats after being released by the team
      earlier this offseason. Moore played in three games for the Past last
      year before going down with a torn Achilles tendon.

      The Pats have also looked at free agent cornerback/punt returner
      Darrien Gordon and have reached an agreement with offensive lineman
      Rich Tylski. The Pats released rookie free agent quarterback Major
      Applewhite yesterday.
    • Rob Bosch
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2002
        I read this article this morning and got pretty excited. Just hearing how
        hyped Brady is for the upcoming season gets me fired up. A lot of people are
        worried about how Brady will do now that he is "the man". I gotta tell you,
        I don't worry one bit about it...and I'm being completely honest. To take it
        one step further, I think that years from now we will all look at this as a
        golden age for the Pats. This kid is simply a winner, and he has a way about
        him which seems to infect the whole team. The combination of Brady,
        Belichick, and Weis is very potent. I don't know about anybody else, but I'm
        ready to sit back and enjoy the ride. The people that are ready to jump down
        Brady's throat as soon as he throws an interception...in my opinion...are
        not Pat's fans. I know that soon we will start hearing the endless babble on
        sportsradio about Brady...one year wonder...they should have kept
        Drew...blah blah blah. I've decided I'm just going to laugh at it all. I
        can't think of any better way to handle it.

        -Pats Freak

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • philw1776@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2002
          In a message dated 5/31/2002 3:36:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time, amysuenbrian2@... writes:

          Tom Brady sat in the stands with teammate Troy Brown at Continental
          Airlines Arena in New Jersey on Wednesday night and soaked in the
          atmosphere. Brady's new favorite basketball team, the Celtics, was
          continuing its surprise run through the NBA playoffs, and the
          Patriots quarterback couldn't help but feel the championship juices
          that still run through his veins.

          ``I'm so friggin' excited to get back out there it's ridiculous,''
          said Brady yesterday. ``I think we're going to be better.''

          Watch the language Tommy Boy.  You just missed being expunged from the Pats list bro.

          -philw (never heard Rohan talk like that)
        • starsarnottgood@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2002
            pats freak thats 100% right way to go! its sweet him wanting to get better! one hit wonders are the type of people who dont think they can get any better then who they are at that time! brady isnt that guy!! he knows he can improve and he wants to! that gets me fired up for sure!

            ~Maria~