Not THIS Game!

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
      ***** Just one more note to add. As the time ticked off the clock, with the
      Patriots trailing the Ravens, I couldn't stop one thought from haunting me.
      "Not this game", I screamed inside. "Not with SHULA IN THE BOOTH!"

      George
      "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom
      Brady)
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
        That would have been horrible, huh?
        I hadn't realized he was in the booth....we'd never hear the end of that one.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
          Re: [patriotzip] Not THIS Game! Not only was he in the booth, but he WOULDN’T SHUT UP.  I thought “Jaws” Jaworski was bad (and he was, the night’s designated Pat hater and also cursed with a case of the babbles) but Shula talking about the damn Bears game over the top of key plays was driving me nuts.  It’s bad enough when Jaworski is just plain wrong (referring to Belichick early in the game as the camera zoomed in on Billick) but hearing Shula yammer on about a “great half of football” 35 years ago when a frighteningly close game unfolds live made me want to fly to Baltimore and shove a cork in him.  Don: I respect your career but shut up.

          Also making me scream at the TV were  ESPN’s absurd “news breaks” with split screen in-game promos hawking some upcoming ESPN show or event on a 60/40 screen split rendering the game to the smaller image and allowing the play to start before cutting back to full screen coverage.

          Stop that.  It’s annoying and stupid and makes me hate your network.

          I am already tired of the “perfect season” story line.  Let’s just play football and save the back story for the next day’s Sports Center.

          Baze

          --
          Steve Basile
          Manager

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
            Oh yuck....that must have been agonizing to hear all that babble and drivel. Talking about a game 35 years ago?
            Give me a break...I'll support you if you go up and shove a cork in him..lol!!

            Susan

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
              I can't kill Shula for that, it's ESPN's fault. They didn't bring
              him in to do color, they brought him in to talk about his undefeated
              season and his Dolphins beating the Bears.

              It was horrible to sit through but I blame ESPN. I totaly agree with
              you on the whole "Sportscenter 20" or whatever the hell it was. That
              was totally annoying.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2007

                Base said: "Let’s just play football and save the back story for the next day’s Sports Center."
                ***** AMEN! from me, Baze. But we'll never see it happen. I say this about the entire coverage plans of every network,  in every game. The "sideline" reporters are useful for updates on injuries. Since no players or coaches involved in the game have time to talk to them on screen, that is ALL they should be used for during play! But is it? Hell no! We get these "human interest sidebar" stories DURING THE DAMN FOOTBALL GAME!

                ***** Hey, I like to hear about the off-field stuff on some players and coaches as much as any of the ladies watching (sorry, Pats Babes, but THAT is exactly why they do this!). However, when there's a football game in progress, every second of airtime should be dedicated to pictures and commentary related directly to the action on the field, and any key injury situations on the sidelines. An occasional reference to Playoff implications, and on-field history between the teams is OK. But other stuff that is not related to the game in progress is an infuriating distraction for actual football fans.

                ***** It's all about the bucks, Baze. The promo's will continue because they believe it will improve the audience for those shows. The unrelated (to the game) "Oprah reports" from the sideline will continue because the networks believe it holds the interest of at least some of the female audience out there. The promos should all be done during time outs. The "Oprah reports" should all be done during pre-game, half time, and "Sports Center" type programs. But it ain't gonna happen. :-(

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 5, 2007
                  The 'fluff' and frequently distraction fluff has been added by the NFL to expand interest in the broadcasts - true.  I don't know any fans young or old at fandom that appreciate most of the stuff which distracts from the game itself.  It is based on the evils of marketing more than any actual gender association.

                  We agree that we both hate it.  Some day we'll get to choose our camera angles and that will be grande if all eight options don't flash to the coach's nose hair cam...