Newb question...

  • Rem
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
      So, I loves me my Patriots (thanks ever so much, Zip, 'cause I NEED
      another obsession) and I give serious props to the Ravens (TWO yards
      from a turnaround, and some hellaciously good D throughout) but I need
      a clarification...

      Can someone explain to me how that final TD of ours was "in his
      control"? Given how they stood with the field call, I'm guessing I'm
      missing something about what defines that, 'cause it sure didn't look
      like he had control until after he hit the white line - is it that he
      has to have it before his SECOND foot goes out, or what?

      Thanks,
      -Rachel
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
        ***** Rachel, I think the key was what was mentioned by Ron Jaworski. Gaffney had his fingers on the ball throughout the play. If you watch the replay, you'll see that the ball was never truly out of his control. He was bringing it into his body, and switched hands in the process. But the ball was clearly "on the way into his body", as opposed to "bouncing out". He didn't have to "rescue it", if you know what I mean. As *I* would define "control", he had it; because there was never a moment during that catch when I felt that there was a likelihood that he'd drop it. He had it all the way.

        George
        "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom Brady)

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2007
          George gave a pretty good description which I certainly appreciated as the few folks at my home had to share what they could from it amidst our rather jubilant celebrations.  I think the key is that the ball showed no jostling.  The movement it did show was more indicative of his moving it than it moving and him trying to recontrol it.  Obviously I'm not seeing the play so I'm only addressing my opinion of what cntrol would be in this instance.

          These judgment moments are the most precarious for the league and realize that in review they have to see incontrovertable evidence to over rule the call on the field.  My understanding despite that is that this was a good call.

          Here's the Zip view from Gino on that play:
          "First down, looking, looking, looking and Brady throws it away out the back corner of the endzone (pause) no!  Touchdown!!"

          Gaffney was out of the sight lines of our radio announcers too.

          When on a prior fourth down Brady had scrambled for the first down the report is that Moss was taken down by his face mask at the line of scrimmage and actually had his helmet ripped off in the process - anyone see this little gem?

          Rodney Harrison says we were outphysicalled for the first time in his memory as a Patriot....interesting and I suspect some prideful Patriots are going to have a message game on Sunday...but I would have thought they had more for this game after the Eagles.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2007
            ***** I'm glad that my description filled in a blank or two for you. That's the way I saw it on the replay.

            ***** As for that play on which Randy was dragged down by the helmet, that is absolutely true. I immediately let out a loud cry of "HEY! HOLDING!" But, since Brady made the 1st Down, I calmed down quickly. I don't believe his helmet came off, but it was definitely grabbed, and moved out of place. (I could be wrong on that, though. I'll check it when I watch a replay later.)

            ***** I wish I could join Rodney in saying that I can't remember the Patriots being outphysicalled before. I can. But I certainly agree with him that it happened in this game. I believe that it also happened last week, but was less obvious because the Eagles didn't have great success running the ball. But the Eagles did keep our pass rush at bay, allowing Feeley much more time that he should have had. That, too, is being outphysicalled, in a different way.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2007
              Regarding Moss on 4th Down. I believe the D was called for illegal
              contact on that. From the replay, it looked like Moss was tackled,
              but I don't remember seeing a facemask or Moss's helmet comming off.

              --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...>