Re: [patriotzip] I Do NOT Agree With That FG

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
      I'm disgusted, that's for sure...the Ravens have won FOUR lousy games, geez. Guess all those teams have spent hours and hours and all their energy drumming up some way to stop us.
      IF we lose tonight we'll be only one game behind the Ponies for home-field...we might be able to push the Squealers back when we play them. I sure wish they wanted the undefeated season as much as I want it..sigh.
      I know teams play their best when things are on the line.
      agree with kicking that FG. We should have gone for it on 4th Down. The
      reason should be clear. We have shown NO evidence that we can stop the
      Ravens. They will now come out and, if they don't score a TD to put the game
      out of reach, they are almost certain to at least take a LOT of time off
      the clock, then play to prevent the big play, and hold on for the win.

      George
      "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom
      Brady)

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
          ***** I still would have made the call to go for it on that 4th down. I think the potential gain outweighed the potential loss.

          **** Think about it. If we failed, the Ravens would  take over, and we'd need a TD to come back and tie the game, and possibly take it into OT to win it.

          ***** If we made it, we then had a chance to score a TD, immediately tying the game, and needing only a FG to win it, with plenty of time on the clock to do that.

          ***** As I said in the original note, the FG left us STILL needing a TD to win, and with a FG not even an option. PLUS, we had to stop the Ravens, which we had not been doing very well all night.

          ***** Obviously, 20-20 hindsight makes the decision look good. But, given the situation, I think it was the wrong decision.

          ***** Bottom line, WHO CARES?! The Patriots are 12-0, BAA-BY!

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
            I had originally thought as you did and the big reason against it was simply that it was fourth and too much for a reasonable chance.  You play the numbers and fourth and three might have been the limit for going for it on that play.  I respect your stance and had some flirtations with it but ultimately I believe they made the right call - even before they went out and won the game.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
              I'm with Randy on this one. I don't remember the exact yardage
              needed, but more that 2 yards would be desperation. The only reason
              you don't kick from there is if you don't think Stevie G can kick
              through the wind.

              --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...>
              wrote:

              > I had originally thought as you did and the big reason against it
              was simply that it was fourth and too much for a reasonable chance.
              You play the numbers and fourth and three might have been the limit
              for going for it on that play. I respect your stance and had some
              flirtations with it but ultimately I believe they made the right
              call - even before they went out and won the game.

              > Go Pats!
              > Zip

            • Steve Basile
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
                Re: [patriotzip] Re: I Do NOT Agree With That FG And, in that position in situational offense, we had to score twice.  Even though we all might have preferred two TDs to clinch, a TD and FG were all that was required to notch the W.

                So you get the one you can get when you can get it.  I thought it was 4th and 6 but I may be mistaken.  I know it was long enough that buddy Jack & I both yelled “go for the 3” at about the same time.

                Baze

                --
                Steve Basile
                Manager

                --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com <mailto:patriotzip%40yahoogroups.com> , "RandyZ.  Pierce" <alaric02@...>
                wrote:

                > I had originally thought as you did and the big reason against it
                was simply that it was fourth and too much for a reasonable chance.
                You play the numbers and fourth and three might have been the limit
                for going for it on that play.  I respect your stance and had some
                flirtations with it but ultimately I believe they made the right
                call - even before they went out and won the game.

                > Go Pats!
                > Zip

              • Don Diamant
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007

                  I’ll add to that that we only beat them by 3 points.  If we had gone for it and not made it we would have likely gone into overtime with the outcome of the game dependant on the flip of the coin.  I think BB chose wisely.

                  Don

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
                    ***** Yes, Steve, it was 4&6 at the Ravens 20. We can all agree to disagree on this one. As I said, I stand by my initial post, made immediately after the FG, that I would have gone for it in that situation.

                    ***** My decision would have been based upon comparison of the degree of difficulty of this offense making the 1st Down, versus the difficulty of driving who knows how far later to score the TD that would be required to win. As well as Brady had played in the 2nd half, and with his tremendous success on 3rd Down this season, and all those receiving options available, I saw our chances as better for the former, than for the latter.

                    ***** Add to that the fact that the Ravens had driven down the field and scored TDs in 2 of their last 3 possessions; and had been stopped only due to an incredibly stupid pass by Boller. There was no evidence at that point, that we could prevent another successful, ground pounding, time consuming drive to a TD that would put the game out of reach. Had that happened, the Ravens would have had an 11 point lead, with likely less than 3 minutes on the clock, if that.

                    ***** Yes, we know now that those things did not happen. The defense stiffened, FINALLY, and held the Ravens to 2 consecutive 3 and outs. But, with less than 9 minutes on the clock, trailing by 7 points, facing a team that had pretty much owned our D up to that point, I still believe that going for the TD would have been the best decision.

                    ***** That said, the back-to-back 3 and outs that the Patriots defense forced from the Ravens following that FG was, as the cliché goes, "the stuff of champions". For a team that had had their ass handed to them by a huge offensive line all night long, to reach WAY down inside, and pull up the strength to accomplish that was ... well, as has been said by many people, enough to leave us breathless.

                    ***** I have to add that I never lost confidence in Brady and our offense. He had a sub par 1st half, but he wasn't creating a disaster out there. At half time, with the score tied at 10, I truly believed that we would fix the defensive problems, and that Brady would make the relatively minor adjustments necessary to score 2-3 TDs, and win the game. But, when the D "stayed in the locker room" for the Ravens first drive, my thinking was that only Brady and the offense could win this game for us. That mind set was where I was coming from when I said, "Go for the TD!"

                    ***** As I said, we'll have to agree to disagree. But I hope that I've at least made my thought process clear.