I've seen enough

  • David Price
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
      This is going to be a Patriots loss.  The way they are playing, I don't see how they can come back.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
        Re: [patriotzip] I've seen enough OK, unlike George and David, I cannot bring myself near a computer during a game, and therefore am spared from making what appear to be rash judgments rendered moot by the outcome (no offense intended, I was screaming the same things DURING the game)

        That said, I am stunned at how bad our defense looked in every aspect, notably a complete inability to stop one guy, McGahee in this game, just like Addai in the Colts game.  They also succeeded (as in the Eagles game) in making a 3rd-rate mediocre QB look like a superstar, able to hit long and short in a woeful secondary.  Hobbs and Samuel got owned repeatedly and fooled by standard routes to average receivers.  The defensive play was as bad as I’ve seen it in years.

        And the O-line obviously did not protect Brady the way they used to, nor the way they are supposed to.  Even when they showed a strong side blitz, we didn’t adjust, and Brady didn’t get rid of the ball fast enough.

        The Ravens brought their A-game, an A-game no one thought they had this year.  Boller looked like a pro bowler, and McGahee made us look like high school boys.  We apparently thought our C-game would be OK, until we HAD to make plays and than, thank the football gods and Tom and Jabbar, we made them.

        And Maroney?  Don’t unload him yet—he’s a star in my book.  A couple of key caries and some heads up running made a nice complement to workhorse Kevin Faulk.

        I remember when every game used to be like this.  I hope the Humble Pie is served early tomorrow morning....we have a couple of tough ones left.

        Baze

        --
        Steve Basile
        Manager

        On 12/3/07 9:56 PM, "David Price" <castsashadow@...> wrote:

        This is going to be a Patriots loss.  The way they are playing, I don't see how they can come back.

        players who are on the field when the Ravens have the ball get  paid for this
        game,  even though they are NOT PARTICIPATING IN IT?!!!

        ***** This looks more like a Rod Rust defense than a Bill Belichick  defense!

        George
        "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three  Super Bowls," (Tom
        Brady)

        To unsubscribe from Zip's  New England Patriots Fan Group, send an email to:

        Yahoo!  Groups Links

        <*> To visit your group on the web, go  to:

        <*>  Your email settings:
            Individual Email |  Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go  to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via  email:
            mailto:patriotzip-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:patriotzip-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        <*>  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

        <*>  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
          ***** Steve, no offense taken at all on the comment about the 'rash comments". They are just that! :-) But I think there are many people who, like you, feel, and likely express, the same thoughts during a game in a more "private" setting. :-)

          ***** I am very concerned about what I've seen from this defense in the last two weeks. Last week, when the Eagles shredded our pass D by going over the middle, I thought, "OK, they exposed a weakness in what we've been doing. BB will make adjustments, and that 'blueprint' crap is out the window!"

          ***** Well, this week, we saw more big plays over the middle, made to the ONLY WR that the Ravens have; and, in addition, we saw our front 7 absolutely overpowered by a good running game.

          ***** Yet, once again, when the game was on the line, late in the 4th quarter, the defense made the absolutely essential stops!

          ***** I have to wonder if the psychological aspects of the game aren't more of a factor here than the physical aspects. I've noted before that I have a serious concern for the "back of the mind" influence of our fantastic offensive success isn't more difficult to overcome than the players, and most fans, want to acknowledge. Yeah, I know that we have some "aging" D players. But, personally, I think the VERY STRONG influence of past performance is more of a factor than is the age of the players.

          ***** The history of the players on this defense proves, beyond a doubt, that they are BETTER than what we've seen during the past two games. So, the question is, "Why have they been so vulnerable for MOST of the game during these last two weeks?"

          ***** Call it "pychobabble" if you want, but I sincerely believe that it's all in their heads. They need to find a way to play at their best for 60 minutes; rather than the last 10 minutes of the 4th quarter, as they've done for the last two weeks!

          patriotzip-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/patriotzip /

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/patriotzip /join

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007
            Great post again.  I choose to be away from the computer during the game but usually we have one online for stats or other pertinent updates while watching from the Shrine.  We had some emotional moments going through this game and the  biggest concern for me is the repetition of defensive struggle.  Sure we've played back to back behemoth offensive lines with the players averaging more than 340 pounds for the Eagles and the Ravens.  These big birds wore down our line but this week it was much worse when we should have been absolutely putting Willis McGahee as our primary focus on their offense.  I'm botherred a bit (and only a bit) less with opposing QBs shedding their normal play and playing fantastically if that is what happens.   He absolutely had a great game which is very untypical and some of it was hitting open folk over the middle as you said which is obviously a big concern.  Some of it was him handling good pressure and making very good throws too.  We are really going to get the best shot of most every team we face here on out and Tedy was probably right on that front.

            On the things we can and must do to play better, the front seven must start winning their battles and shutting down the run.  This showed plenty of promise late in the game when we did stop him as our defense actually had a decent fourth quarter.  From the Sanders interception onward the defense managed to dig into themselves and play but they better do more of that.  Richard Seymour was a silent factor in tis game which is probably a partial tribute to Jonathan Ogden  and his dominance of our own top notch lineman.  I really believe that when playing lines of this mass we have to consider switching to the 4-3 so we can match up a bit of weight and strength to their weight and strength.  Asking your linebackers to do this with one less linebacker in the rotation (Colvin) is a big request as they are taking on much larger offensive linemen on a regular basis.  I'm sure Bellichick and Peas had their reasons but that's my initial reaction.

            We also need better play out of the corners and safeties over the middle.  It seemed to me that Harrison was silent in the first half before having a very solid fourth quarter.  Merriweather has started to show up on the radar and despite dropping a game clincher he was in the right position more than not and perhaps there's some signs we are going to shore up that middle with some future schemes using our expanded secondary.  Bottom line is that our pressure was just short in this game and that presure would immediately make this a better secondary.

            One final thought is that Moss suggested the players were mentally and physically a bit beat and he hopes the coaching staff will help them get a little recovery time.  It's a short week before we host Pittsburgh and that is a rather signficant match up because it's the next game and because a victory there would clinch Home field throughout the playoffs if I'm not mistaken.