Here's one for the BB Brigade...

  • Karen Cardoza
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2002
      I'm sure many of you read this in Sports Illustrated last month but if not, check it out.... (I looked for an online version then but couldn't find one and was too lazy to type it all but someone posted this on a MB so I had no work to do but cut and paste.)    Can't judge a book by its cover..............

      Anybody read April 15 SI?
      Interesting Jim Brown interview, here's an excerpt:

      SI What's the difference about today's black athlete from those you gathered in support of Ali in '67?

      JB They are the beneficiaries of our struggle. But they don't recognize that because they're inundated with agents, managers, lawyers, and owners who don't want them to do anything but play ball and hopefully keep themselves out of trouble and just be physical freaks of nature with no awareness of decision making power.

      SI What current athlete do you admire (compared to Bill Russell)?

      JB Nobody.

      SI Compared to Jim Brown.

      JB I don't compare myself with anyone. Let me tell you about someone I do admire. Bill Bellichick of the New England Patriots has contributed more to the work I surround myself with than any black athlete in modern times- financially, intellectually, every way. He's been in the prisons with me. He's met gang members in my home; he's met gang members in Cleveland. He's put up money. He's opened up areas of education for us very quietly and very strongly. Imagine what would happen if Michael Jordan did the same thing.

      Karen <------- fan of the World Champion New England Patriots
      "I have fought a good fight,
      I have finished my course,
      I have kept the faith."