Disgusting Defense

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 25, 2007
      ***** Criticize me if you care to. But I will openly say that I am disgusted
      with the inept, lackadaisical play of the Patriots defense in this game.
      They have been horrible.

      George
      "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom
      Brady)
    • Steve Basile
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 25, 2007
        Re: [patriotzip] Disgusting Defense On 11/25/07 9:47 PM, "George" <patswingr@...> wrote:

        ***** Criticize me if you care to. But I will openly say that I am disgusted
        with the inept, lackadaisical play of the Patriots defense in this game.
        They have been horrible.

        George
        "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom
        Brady)

        I agree—we seem to have NO pass defense at all, with a guy who couldn’t carry Brady’s jock at the helm of the Eagles.  We give up big play after big play after big play, and then march down the field and leave a 1st and goal with ZERO points on the board.

        Throw in a horrible Offensive PI call, an O-line that seems to be reading the pres clips that have (mistakenly) it unimpregnable, several dropped balls, and some dumb penalties and we are really trying to give the Vegas oddsmakers something to play with.

        We’d better make some adjustments quick, use the run if we can and hit Welker and Donte when they have Randy wrapped up.

        This looks like the ultimate trap game so far.

        --
        Steve Basile
        Manager

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 25, 2007
          Defense stunk, that's for darn sure...I bet they will get a tongue-lashing from BB tonight.
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 25, 2007
            I think the secondary has been exposed, vulnerable to slants and in-cuts.

            You won't see much of this against Baltimore next week, as Boller
            won't be talented enough nor have the material to do anything about
            it. It's Pittsburgh that worries me now.

            Bob G

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 25, 2007
              Do you think there's any chance the Squealers will fall victim to the Fish tomorrow night?
              I guess anything can happen.
              What can they do to correct the slants and in-cuts? Will Pittsburgh try to exploit that?

              On Nov 25, 2007 9:14 PM, Susan Moore <scmoore@adelphia. net> wrote:

              > Defense stunk, that's for darn sure...I bet they will get a tongue-lashing
              > from BB tonight.

            • Bob George
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 26, 2007
                > Do you think there's any chance the Squealers will fall victim to the Fish
                > tomorrow night?

                I don't think so.

                > What can they do to correct the slants and in-cuts? Will Pittsburgh try to
                > exploit that?

                Play the receivers more tightly and be more physical. Used to work
                great against Indianapolis. When you play off the receivers you are
                hoping that your front seven can apply enough pressure so that the
                quarterback won't be able to hit the open receivers. Against Indy,
                sometimes you do that just to hold them to field goals. Last night, I
                was appalled that we allowed all that slant stuff. We got next to no
                pressure on Feeley all night long.

                Can they correct it? Sure. Will they? They'd better, because teams
                with good quarterbacks will be able to exploit it again by using the
                Philly game as a blueprint.

                Bob G

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 26, 2007
                  ***** The only teams that I believe have the combination of talents to use this against us are the Steelers and, of course, the Colts. Think about what it takes.

                  1. The opponent must have a superstar RB.
                     - The Patriots placed their defensive focus for the Eagles on stopping Brian Westbrook. That brought LBs and Harrison up into the box; and it was effective in achieving that goal. I believe that the DL had basically the same focus, concentrating more on not letting Westbrook through, than upon getting up field to apply QB pressure against a "mediocre" QB.
                  2. The opponent must have a very good OL.
                     - Even with the first focus on a RB, our front 7 (or 8) is good enough to still get decent consistent pressure on the QB through most OLs. The Eagles OL stopped them cold!
                  3. The opponent must have a QB with a good field of vision, and a strong, accurate arm.
                     - A J Feely? Well, he certainly had all of that in this game. He surprised the hell out of me; but you've got to give it to the guy. He made a LOT of excellent reads and throws! Of course, that issue of having time helped him greatly. But, even given that, many of his throws were in that "only place it could be caught" location. Check the replay.
                  4. The opponent must have receivers who can make good cuts, are "comfortable" going over the middle, and can catch in traffic.
                     - The Eagles have a set of receivers who range from "good" to "excellent", including an outstanding TE (L J Smith), which is an essential element to a middle of the field passing game.

                  ***** Now, how many teams can combine all 4 of those things?
                  - Ravens? They have the RB (McGahee); but their QB sucks, whether it's the over the hill, beat up McNair, or the "bust" Boller. They have one WR (Mason) with more than 33 receptions, or more than 1 TD. They do have a very good TE (Heap), who's beat up right now. Their OL is no better than average. Their passing offense averages less than 200 YPG.
                  - Steelers? Willie Parker, Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Heath Miller, Ben Roethlisberger. That is a pretty well rounded set of "skill position" players. Their OL is also pretty good, although they have allowed 30 sacks, going into the game against the Dolphins. Still, they have at least adequate talent at all of the essential positions to execute the game plan used by the Eagles against us. No doubt that BB will have to consider this in his preparation for that game in 2 weeks. It will be interesting to see if the Steelers choose to try it. Will BB pull back a little on shutting down Parker, in order to close off the middle zones? Will he apply more QB pressure, using more blitzes, to deny Roethlisberger the time that was afforded to Feely to find receivers? Will he coach his DBs to be a little "less exclusive" in covering the outside versus the inside? Will he try to confuse the Steelers by constantly mixing those three areas of focus? I'd expect the latter. But, since OCs all over the NFL can't predict BB, I'm not betting that I'm right! ;-)
                  - Jets? PULLEEEEZ!
                  - Dolphins? - See "Jets"
                  - Giants? They don't have a "feature" RB that would demand a game plan designed to stop him. Much more freedom for BB to pressure Eli, and still cover the receivers.

                  ***** So I see one team that, on paper, presents a threat to "use the blueprint" drawn up by the Eagles against us. Belichick will be ready for them. Meanwhile, he'll be preparing only for the Baltimore Ravens. Stop McGahee. Double Mason. Keep AT and Rodney alternately focused on Heap. Done.

                  George
                  "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom Brady)

                  > Do you think there's any chance the Squealers will fall victim to the

                  Fish
                  > tomorrow night?

                  I don't think so.

                  > What can they
                  do to correct the slants and in-cuts? Will Pittsburgh try to
                  > exploit
                  that?

                  Play the receivers more tightly and be more physical. Used to work
                  great against Indianapolis. When you play off the receivers you are
                  hoping that your front seven can apply enough pressure so that the
                  quarterback won't be able to hit the open receivers. Against Indy,
                  sometimes you do that just to hold them to field goals. Last night, I
                  was appalled that we allowed all that slant stuff. We got next to no
                  pressure on Feeley all night long.

                  Can they correct it? Sure. Will they? They'd better, because teams
                  with good quarterbacks will be able to exploit it again by using the
                  Philly game as a blueprint.

                  Bob G

                  George
                  href="mailto:patriotzip%40yahoogroups.com">patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com

                  Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2007 9:33 PM
                  > Subject: Re: [patriotzip]
                  Disgusting Defense

                • llj7366@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 27, 2007
                    They just about did, what a crazy game that was.  I wish they had lost but the Fish will have to wait.  I wonder if it has ever happened that one team has lost all of their games and another won all their games in the same division.  We may be making history with this one as well.
                    LISA