Very interesting blurb from Joel Buchsbaum

  • Rob Bosch
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2002
      I found this today on Pro Football Weekly:

      Buchsbaum: A very interesting comment was made to me by a Patriots’ insider
      regarding Drew Bledsoe. The insider has been around the team for a number of
      years. He said when he got there, Bledsoe really seemed to care about
      winning and the game. By the end of the Pete Carroll-era, Bledsoe seemed to
      be a 9-to-5 guy playing the game for the money and had no passion. He said
      Bledsoe was emotionless and a zombie at times. The source also said that
      very often in key situations, Bledsoe seemed to go almost brain dead. And,
      despite being a very highly intelligent young man was one of the dumbest
      quarterbacks in the league. However, he said, being traded to Buffalo and
      the way the Patriots treated him, makes him feel like he is totally
      rejuvenated and dedicated to football again. This individual projects a big
      year for Bledsoe in Buffalo, but says he probably never would have gotten on
      track if he had remained in New England.

      ***Pretty interesting huh? I've heard other insiders speak of Drew this way
      also...saying that his last couple of years he lost his passion. I guess
      that's what happens to you when you get sacked 50 times a year. I think, in
      the end, that this was a trade that was very good for both sides. The Pats
      keep a young, on the rise QB that helped them win the super bowl, and they
      get a first round pick for Drew. Drew gets a starting job again, and he gets
      to prove that the fire in his belly is not gone. It will be more than a
      little interesting to see how this all works out.

      -Pats Freak
    • Bledsoeangie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2002
        o, drew is the subjetc so i must chime in! Anyways, rule #1, never losten to any reporter, wherether they call themselves an "expert" or not. I for one can tell all of you, that drew ould be the last person to lose his drive for the game. Drew has NEVER let money get to his head. He is the most humble athlete there is, and he is just simply not like that. I odnt know who the source is saying money got to him, but whoever he is he must live out in east bumbf$$$, because thats not drew. Has he ever realized that ntil last season, we have had no running game and a poor OL? Drew is a footnball player #1, and has never EVER like being in the spotlight. If you ask drew, football is not on his top 10 list. Family and other off the field matters are. That is the way it should be. Does that mean he doesn't love the game? No, it means he is human being.  Off subject now, but i know there is talk about tom being gay. When drew arrived in 93, he faced the sailar problem. Except a reporter actually held a sign out the luxury box saying drew is gay. You will hear stroies like that, but they are all false. Dres is married with 3 kids, duuuuu lol by guys. drews#1 fan, angie11
      • Rob Bosch
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2002
          I have never heard a rumor about Tom being gay. As a matter of fact, it seems to be just the opposite...he definitely seems to like the ladies. I really hate stupid crap like this. But as Jerry Seinfeld once said...."not there's anything wrong with that".

          As for the blurb I posted from Buchsbaum, I have to politely say I disagree with you Angie. I certainly don't think that Drew lost his love for the game, but I do think that it wasn't as important to him anymore. I'm am sure there were many factors as to why that happened, including a team that appeared to be on a severe decline (although they sure proved us wrong). And while I don't think that football should be THE most important thing in a player's life, it sure as hell better be in the top two or three for what these guys get paid. I think part of what happened to Drew is that he never had any challenge to his job...he was always THE MAN. That can lead to complacency. He got really fired up once he saw that Brady was indeed a legitimate competitor for his job, but by that time it was too late. I don't blame Drew for any of this....it's just human nature. I think that he now appreciates his career as an NFL football player more than ever. He realizes that jobs in the NFL are not just given to people..they have to be earned each and every year. I expect to see Drew play very well this year because the competitive fires are now burning again. We'll find out soon enough.

          -Pats Freak

        • philw1776@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2002
            In a message dated 5/7/2002 6:15:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rob.bosch@... writes:

[...]

            Obviously Joel had been watching Drew play.  He nailed it.  Drew was an automaton, going through the motions.  Belichick saw that and correctly decided not to put his last chance at a head coaching career in Drew's bumbling hands once he had a viable alternative.

            As to braindead football decisions, twice in 2000, Drew had the ball in position to score the winning points as the clock ran down.  Once he ate the ball and took the sack.  Game over.  Another time he purposely threw the ball out of bounds. Duh!  Time's up.  Game over.  Here's a clue Mr 36 Wonderlick, put the freakin ball in play.  You cannot win on the sack or throw away.  Yah, the odds are for an INT in desperation but it's 100% certain you lose on the throwaway and sack.

            I hope we see more of the same "deer in the headlights" slack jawed Drew looks this year when we play Buffalo.  Let him get his game back in 2003 and let him have spectacular wins against the Jets and Phins this year, sweeping both.  Buffalo 4-12!

            -philw
          • Bledsoeangie@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2002
              everyone is entiled to their own opinion, and yours is fine. But i know drew hasn't lost his love for the game, if he did, he would have walked away from the game last yeat, Period. Football should absolutely be important to any pro athlete, but if it is because of the money, then there is a problem. Its a game and hopefully you have athletes on your team who love the game enough that they would do anything to help their team win, thats drew bledsoe. Drews#1 fan, angie11
            • philw1776@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 9, 2002
                In a message dated 5/8/2002 9:29:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Bledsoeangie@... writes:

                everyone is entiled to their own opinion, and yours is fine. But i know drew hasn't lost his love for the game, if he did, he would have walked away from the game last yeat, Period. Football should absolutely be important to any pro athlete, but if it is because of the money, then there is a problem. Its a game and hopefully you have athletes on your team who love the game enough that they would do anything to help their team win, thats drew bledsoe. Drews#1 fan, angie11

                I hope Drew has one off year adjusting so that we get a better 1st round pick.  Buffalo is my 2nd favorite team, so I would be glad to see Drew get his 2nd SB ring AFTER we 3-peat.  I just don't think it will happen, but hey, what do I know.  The Buff fans really embraced Drew after their horrible experience with the Fraud, Rob Johnson.

                -philw