NPC - More Filler

  • George R
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2002
      ***** Here's a little something to provide a target for those suffering
      from "rant and rave withdrawal" during our dead season.

      ***** Dontcha just luv lawyers? Thank goodness there are none here. ;-)

      Fw: Rewarding Bad Behavior....
      >Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:47:16 -0700

      Most of the country has heard of the Darwin Awards given annually to
      the individuals who do the most for mankind by removing themselves from
      the gene pool. Now, we have the Stella Awards given to the individuals
      who win the most frivolous lawsuits ever. The Stella Awards are named
      in honor of 81-year-old Stella Liebeck, the woman who won $2.9 million
      for spilling a cup of McDonald's coffee on herself.

      1. January 2000: Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded
      $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle, tripping over
      a toddler who was running amuck inside a furniture store. The owners of
      the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering
      that the misbehaving little fellow was Ms. Robertson's son.

      2. June 1998: 19 year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and
      medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda
      Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the
      wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

      3. October 1998: Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pa.,was leaving a house
      he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to
      get the garage door to go up, because the automatic door opener was
      malfunctioning. He couldn't reenter the house because the door
      connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The
      family wason vacation. Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage
      for 8 days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found in the garage and
      a large bag of dry dog food. Mr. Dickson sued the homeowner's insurance
      claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed
      to the tune of a half million dollars.

      4. October 1999: Jerry Williams of Little Rock,Arkansas, was awarded
      $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his
      next door neighbor's beagle. The dog was on a chain in its owner's
      fenced-in yard at the time. Mr. Williams was also in the fenced-in
      yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog may
      have been provoked by Mr. Williams who, at the time, was repeatedly
      shooting it with a pellet gun.

      5. December 1997: A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber
      Carson of Lancaster, Pa., $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink
      and broke her coccyx. The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson
      threw it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

      6. December 1997: Kara Walton of Clamont, DE.,successfully sued the
      owner of a night club when she fell from the bathroom window to the
      floor and knocked out her 2 front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton
      was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid
      paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental
      expenses.

      ***** So who gets your vote?

      =====
      George 665 + 36 =