RE: Dillon wants back in

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2007
      ***** Reiss agrees with you, Steve. From his Blog:

      ANALYSIS

      With Sammy Morris lost for the season, what do the Patriots do at running
      back?

      The likely answer, unless No. 1 option Laurence Maroney is injured, will be
      nothing.

      The Patriots opened the season with four running backs on their roster --
      Maroney, Morris, Kevin Faulk and Heath Evans.

      The team still has four on the roster -- Maroney, Faulk, Evans and Kyle
      Eckel.

      The loss of Morris means that the health of Maroney, who missed three games
      this season with a groin injury, becomes even more important. If Maroney
      experiences more health problems, the team is now not as well equipped to
      handle it.

      But if Maroney stays healthy, adding a fifth running back to the mix seems
      unlikely. While players like Corey Dillon and Kevan Barlow have high name
      recognition -- and would be smart to keep on the emergency list -- they
      wouldn't have as much all-around value to the Patriots as a player like
      Eckel, a former practice squad player who has been playing on the kickoff
      return, punt return, kickoff coverage, and punt coverage teams.

      So the special teams contributions of a player like Eckel would trump the
      need to bring in a player like Dillon or Barlow, who unless they contributed
      on special teams wouldn't have a spot on the 45-man game-day roster.

      From this view, the only aspect that would significantly alter that equation
      would be an injury to Maroney.

      ***** I completely agree with his points about the current 4 being solid;
      and that Eckel can make a contribution on STs, which Dillon or Barlow would
      not. However, I disagree with his last opinion that only an injury to
      Maroney would make the addition of another RB essential. I'd add both Faulk
      and Evans to that. We need all three of them over any extended period of
      time. They all provide very different skill sets, and those options add a
      great deal to our offense. Maroney and Faulk can each do some of what the
      other does, and could sub for each other for a couple of games, with Evans
      stepping up to primary backup. But, as I said earlier, Eckel, as both you
      and I noted earlier, Steve, is really no more than a mop-up guy. If any of
      the top 3 go down for more than a game, we need an experienced RB in here.
      That's why, if there's any room to spare among the backup/STs guys, I'd
      still favor bringing Corey back, and working him into condition for the
      Playoffs.

      George
      "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom
      Brady)

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007
        I think we should consider it, and I think we will. As you suggest,
        he'd be a special purpose back, the short yardage guy, but he
        certainly has more mature skills than Eckel. I think he left on good
        terms, so I believe he'd be welcomed back, if he accepts the limited role.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
          I with Reiss on this - I'm not certain who he would replace.  Eckle is a special team and Maroney, Faulk and Evans are primary contributors.  Dillon didn't have enough for me last year - started strong but faded so fast.  Another injury might change this but for now it is something I'd keep in reserve.

          Now if Addai were available - that man played phenomonally aned was the Player of the Game....
          for the losing team that is.

          I think we should consider it, and I think we will. As you suggest,
          he'd be a special purpose back, the short yardage guy, but he
          certainly has more mature skills than Eckel. I think he left on good
          terms, so I believe he'd be welcomed back, if he accepts the limited role.

          fdb

          --- In patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com, "George" <patswingr@. ..> wrote:

          > ***** Personally, I'd welcome him with open arms as a short yardage,
          goal
          > line, minimum play backup. I'm sure he'd still have significant value in
          > such a role. I'd see him as the #3 RB, behind Faulk. However, that would
          > mean a relatively small contract. We haven't seen anything about his
          > feelings for what role he'd want to play. Certainly, he can't be in
          anything
          > close to "football shape". It would be at least 2-3 weeks before he
          could do
          > much more than run one play every 5 or 10 minutes. But, come Playoff
          time,
          > he could be worked up to become a valuable asset.
          >
          > George
          > "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom
          > Brady)

        • Don Diamant
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007

            Well, I disagree with both Reiss and Steve.  Dillion may have lost a step or two but he is a head banger still and good for up to 30 yard romps and tough yardage situations.  With Sammy Morris out for the season Dillon would be an excellent second choice so long as he understands he’s the number two guy.  Dillon isn’t the feature back he once was but he still has enough left in the tank to make short yardage plays when we need them.  We have no running back currently that can so consistently make something out of nothing.  It would be a mistake not to give Dillon serious consideration.

            Don