RE: Dillon wants back in

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2007
      ***** Personally, I'd welcome him with open arms as a short yardage, goal
      line, minimum play backup. I'm sure he'd still have significant value in
      such a role. I'd see him as the #3 RB, behind Faulk. However, that would
      mean a relatively small contract. We haven't seen anything about his
      feelings for what role he'd want to play. Certainly, he can't be in anything
      close to "football shape". It would be at least 2-3 weeks before he could do
      much more than run one play every 5 or 10 minutes. But, come Playoff time,
      he could be worked up to become a valuable asset.

      George
      "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom
      Brady)

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2007
        ***** Reiss agrees with you, Steve. From his Blog:

        ANALYSIS

        With Sammy Morris lost for the season, what do the Patriots do at running
        back?

        The likely answer, unless No. 1 option Laurence Maroney is injured, will be
        nothing.

        The Patriots opened the season with four running backs on their roster --
        Maroney, Morris, Kevin Faulk and Heath Evans.

        The team still has four on the roster -- Maroney, Faulk, Evans and Kyle
        Eckel.

        The loss of Morris means that the health of Maroney, who missed three games
        this season with a groin injury, becomes even more important. If Maroney
        experiences more health problems, the team is now not as well equipped to
        handle it.

        But if Maroney stays healthy, adding a fifth running back to the mix seems
        unlikely. While players like Corey Dillon and Kevan Barlow have high name
        recognition -- and would be smart to keep on the emergency list -- they
        wouldn't have as much all-around value to the Patriots as a player like
        Eckel, a former practice squad player who has been playing on the kickoff
        return, punt return, kickoff coverage, and punt coverage teams.

        So the special teams contributions of a player like Eckel would trump the
        need to bring in a player like Dillon or Barlow, who unless they contributed
        on special teams wouldn't have a spot on the 45-man game-day roster.

        From this view, the only aspect that would significantly alter that equation
        would be an injury to Maroney.

        ***** I completely agree with his points about the current 4 being solid;
        and that Eckel can make a contribution on STs, which Dillon or Barlow would
        not. However, I disagree with his last opinion that only an injury to
        Maroney would make the addition of another RB essential. I'd add both Faulk
        and Evans to that. We need all three of them over any extended period of
        time. They all provide very different skill sets, and those options add a
        great deal to our offense. Maroney and Faulk can each do some of what the
        other does, and could sub for each other for a couple of games, with Evans
        stepping up to primary backup. But, as I said earlier, Eckel, as both you
        and I noted earlier, Steve, is really no more than a mop-up guy. If any of
        the top 3 go down for more than a game, we need an experienced RB in here.
        That's why, if there's any room to spare among the backup/STs guys, I'd
        still favor bringing Corey back, and working him into condition for the
        Playoffs.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007
          I think we should consider it, and I think we will. As you suggest,
          he'd be a special purpose back, the short yardage guy, but he
          certainly has more mature skills than Eckel. I think he left on good
          terms, so I believe he'd be welcomed back, if he accepts the limited role.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
            I with Reiss on this - I'm not certain who he would replace.  Eckle is a special team and Maroney, Faulk and Evans are primary contributors.  Dillon didn't have enough for me last year - started strong but faded so fast.  Another injury might change this but for now it is something I'd keep in reserve.

            Now if Addai were available - that man played phenomonally aned was the Player of the Game....
            for the losing team that is.

            I think we should consider it, and I think we will. As you suggest,
            he'd be a special purpose back, the short yardage guy, but he
            certainly has more mature skills than Eckel. I think he left on good
            terms, so I believe he'd be welcomed back, if he accepts the limited role.

            fdb

            --- In patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com, "George" <patswingr@. ..> wrote:

            > ***** Personally, I'd welcome him with open arms as a short yardage,
            goal
            > line, minimum play backup. I'm sure he'd still have significant value in
            > such a role. I'd see him as the #3 RB, behind Faulk. However, that would
            > mean a relatively small contract. We haven't seen anything about his
            > feelings for what role he'd want to play. Certainly, he can't be in
            anything
            > close to "football shape". It would be at least 2-3 weeks before he
            could do
            > much more than run one play every 5 or 10 minutes. But, come Playoff
            time,
            > he could be worked up to become a valuable asset.
            >
            > George
            > "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom
            > Brady)

          • Don Diamant
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007

              Well, I disagree with both Reiss and Steve.  Dillion may have lost a step or two but he is a head banger still and good for up to 30 yard romps and tough yardage situations.  With Sammy Morris out for the season Dillon would be an excellent second choice so long as he understands he’s the number two guy.  Dillon isn’t the feature back he once was but he still has enough left in the tank to make short yardage plays when we need them.  We have no running back currently that can so consistently make something out of nothing.  It would be a mistake not to give Dillon serious consideration.

              Don