RE: [patriotzip] Officials for the game - what I thought I heard

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
      ***** OK, we had a little spelling problem there,  Randy. It's Parry, with an 'a'; not Perry, with an 'e'.
      I got some basic bio info on him. Here it is:

      John Parry is an American football official in the National Football League (NFL) since the 2000 NFL season. Parry officiated Super Bowl XLI in 2007 as a side judge on the crew headed by referee Tony Corrente. Following this game, he was promoted to referee for the 2007 NFL season following the retirement of Bill Vinovich due to health issues.

      Outside of officiating, he is financial planner and resides in Akron, Ohio. His father is the Supervisor of Officials for the Big Ten Conference.

      ***** So, this is his first year as a Referee. I'm not sure I like that.

      ***** I think it's going to be difficult to find the stats on the crew. There have been groups trying to force the NFL Referees Association to make their stats public for years, with no success. Now and then, things leak out, like that stat on McAulay's team being so incredibly biased toward the home teams. But that's about it.

      ***** I'll keep searching, and hope others will also. I'd really hate to see officiating become an issue in a game of this magnitude. Shame on the NFL for not ensuring a highly rated, veteran crew for this game before the season started. Did anyone who can spell 'NFL' think that this wouldn't be a very important game? As I said, it should be Hochuli or Carey.

      George
      "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom Brady)

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
        ***** Info from refchat.blogspot.com isn't very promissing for the John
        Parry crew. This was dated Oct 20.

        Referees by penalties accepted per game:
        The refs with the highest penalties accepted per game (with the home
        win-rate) are:
        Walt Anderson (15.3, 75%)
        Ron Winter (13.8, 75%)
        Terry McAulay (13.7, 67%)
        Bill Leavy (13.6, 40%)
        (and the bottom of the list is)
        David Coleman (9, 0%)
        Jeff Triplette (8.4, 20%)
        Pete Morelli (8.2, 40%)
        Gerald Austin (8.2, 50%)

        Referees by home win-rate: if you believe the referee has some influence
        (perhaps an unintentional tendency) on whether the home team wins, then use
        this list. Here's the list, again with the penalties per game followed by
        the home team's win-rate.
        Barry Anderson (10, 100%)
        John Parry (13.2, 80%)
        Tony Corrente (12.2, 80%)
        Ed Hochuli (11.6, 80%)
        (and at the bottom of the list)
        Bill Leavy (13.6, 40%)
        Pete Morelli (8.2, 40%)
        Jeff Triplette (8.4, 20%)
        David Coleman (9.0, 0%)

        ***** So, according to this, Parry's crew has a higher percentage of Home
        Team wins than all but one crew (Anderson) in the NFL. His crew's average of
        13.2 penalties accepted per game is up near the leaders. Now, if we look for
        good news, we see that Ed Hochuli, whom most, including me, consider a good
        Ref and crew, has the same 80% winning percentage for Home Teams as does
        Parry & crew. I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out, as we hope
        that the officiating isn't a major factor.

        George
        "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom
        Brady)

        I got some basic bio info on him. Here it is:

        John Parry is an American football official in the National Football League
        (NFL) since the 2000 NFL season. Parry officiated Super Bowl XLI in 2007 as
        a side judge on the crew headed by referee
        <http://www.football-refs.com/tony-corrente.php> Tony Corrente. Following
        this game, he was promoted to referee for the 2007 NFL season following the
        retirement of <http://www.football-refs.com/bill-vinovich.php> Bill

        _____