An Open Letter to Belichick re: QB Coach Needs

  • philw1776@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2002
      Mr. Bill Belichick
      Head Coach New England Patriots
      Route 1
      Foxboro, MA

      RE: QB Coach

      Dear Coach Belichick:

      Congratulations on a wonderfully successful 2001/2002 season. As a life long
      Patriots fan I am thrilled to be a fan of the NFL Champions and I cannot wait
      until next season. One of things that so intrigued me during this past year
      was the interaction between Tom Brady, Drew Bledsoe and Charlie Weis. It
      seemed to me that there was a real synergy in this relationship. Bledsoe was
      the middle man/filter, Weis the architected and Brady the laborer. Now that
      Bledsoe has been traded to Buffalo, my concern is that there is no longer a
      buffer/translator between Tom Brady and Charlie Weis. There is not a second
      set of eyes looking out from the sidelines from the QB's
      perspective...attempting to see the field through the QB's eyes while at the
      same time understanding what the OC really needs have happen.

      I have read in several places that you and Coach Weis plan on continuing
      filling the role of QB coach. I ask that you reconsider this decision and
      look to hire a QB coach...preferably myself. I am not so concerned that this
      person work with Brady on his mechanics; rather I am convinced that the best
      path for the team is for there to be an advocate on the sidelines for Brady.
      Someone you and Coach Weis respect enough to allow him to speak his mind,
      while at the same time he has to be someone Tom Brady trusts enough to
      confide in. I would never leak info to the press about Brady dancing with
      Mariah Carey or going moshing.

      I suggest myself as the candidate since I was among the first to share your
      views on QB assessment. It is your team and you would have to bring in the
      person you are comfortable with. I have complete faith in your abilities to
      select me for your staff. I hope that you will reconsider hiring a QB coach
      now that Drew Bledsoe has been traded as I think it is a necessary cog in
      your well oiled machine.

      Sincerely,

      -philw (available w/o spending a draft pick)

      P.S. Do not trust someone called Bammer who may apply. While claiming to be
      a supporter, he uses the Patriots mail list forum to trash your QB
      preference, your selection of coaches, rates your draft at D- and badmouths
      the players you have selected to start. He's a true fan, but this Bledsoe
      thing has driven him temporarily over the edge. With new meds, he'll be fine
      in a few months.

      {Thanks to Kent Thaler, as I pulled a Doris Kearnes Goodwin}