Re: [patriotzip] Re: Browns best test yet?

  • Kevin Morgan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
      Go Cougars!

      David Brunat <brewgnat@...> wrote:
      While this team is arguably our best test yet the reality is they too have a flaw we can and will exploit.  If they fail to get pressure on Brady he will pick them apart much like the has done to the other teams we've played.  I look at what Cincy did to them a few weeks ago and shudder to think what we may accomplish.  I think Dallas will be our first real test.  Everyone else looks like cannon fodder.

      Oh by the way, my Pop Warner football team is 5-0!  You can follow the exploits of the University Cougar Junior Pee Wees at universitycougars. com.

      The BrewGnat

      "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@sprynet. com> wrote:
      I think they do represent our biggest challenge to date. Each of the teams we've faced thus far has had some fatal flaws which we could exploit:
      Pennington's short range arm
      Rivers poor play and LT dependence
      Bills offensive ineptitude
      Bengals Defensive ineptitude

      Cleaveland is by no means the perfect team and they do rank 31 in yards allowed because (in part) their secondary is suspect if they don't get pressure. Offensively, they have a three pronged attack with a power run and a talented receiver crew which includes a very talented tight end. Heck Braylon Edwards is putting up Stanley Morgan numbers for getting deep which makes him a more talented Chad Johnson but with a real tight end threat to accompany him. Six men in the box won't work on this line and Jamal Lewis either I suspect.

      No team has adequately given Brady pressure up the middle in part because of their schemes and strengths and in part because of our OL strength. With Kopen nursing an ankle and Mount Washington across the line, the Romeo wrinkle may just put some pressure up the middle since our speed rusher numero uno (Maroney) is not an assurety by any means for htis game).

      It could be an interesting challenge.

      My preview should be up by noon time but I'm curuios on others breakdown of this match up.

      & the Mighty Quinn

      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007

        While this team is arguably our best test yet the reality is they too have a flaw we can and will exploit.

        Which flaw is that?

        If they fail to get pressure on Brady he will pick them apart

        That's more of a feature on us than a flaw on them.  In fact it's why I think from my preview that Romeo will try to exploit us hard up the middle.  Washington is mamoth over Kopen's bum ankle and while our Guards are solid support they may try to flood us there to move Tom and bat down the lanes of middle slants while risking the runs outside.  They have some pass rush capability but right now our line and Brady make it very tough to get at him from the outside.

        we've played.  I look at what Cincy did to them a few weeks ago and shudder to think what we may accomplish.  I think

        Cinci lost to them...
        but I get your point.  THough we didn't torch a very bad Cinci defense so that doesn't entirely hold true.

        Still predicts a solid win and no doubt this is only the best test yet (if that) as the Cowboys, Colts and Steelers will be better tests eventually.  We aren't there yet though...

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
          ***** Randy, I have 2 counters to your concern about the potential for
          pressure on Brady from the Browns. (One of these I mentioned to you
          off-list, so apologies for the repeat.) First is the fact that your emphasis
          on the power of Ted Washington ignores the fact that he is not likely to be
          out there on the majority of the Browns D snaps. He's 39 years old, and,
          according to the stats shown on ESPN, has only 6 tackles, and no sacks, in 4
          games. That tells me that he's probably playing only on "running downs" to
          stuff the middle. The second point is that the Pats have shown that they
          will quickly respond to pressure up the middle by going to 2 RBs, or an
          extra TE/H-Back who moves to the middle at the snap, as they did against the
          Bengals.

          ***** I do not believe that the Browns will put an exceptionally effective
          rush on Brady. Most of their pass rushing success has come from their LBs.
          BB is certainly aware of that, and will have our TEs and RBs prepared to
          focus on picking them up. Thus far, the team has done a better job of
          picking up blitzes than any BB team I can recall. And then there's that
          "reduction in O-Holding calls" that was mentioned by someone earlier!

          George
          "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom
          Brady)

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007

            From: George
            according to the stats shown on ESPN, has only 6 tackles, and no sacks, in 4
            games. That tells me that he's probably playing only on "running downs" to
            stuff the middle.

            ** No doubt he's playing less than i other days but stats from the nose tackle aren't the best measure as it's not the stat position, it opens things for the others around to exploit more than doing the exploiting.

            The second point is that the Pats have shown that they
            will quickly respond to pressure up the middle by going to 2 RBs, or an
            extra TE/H-Back who moves to the middle at the snap, as they did against the
            Bengals.

            **  **  Very likely and were I the opposition this would be what I'd like to force otu of them.  Brady had most of his incompletions from this formation against the Bengals (according to Reiss) and in general it is the poison I'd pick if I had to scheme against the Pats with that Browns defense.

            Definitely our best protection scheme in many years and that makes me more convinced that it isn't going to reach us from the outside.  Better rushers have already failed trying that approach.

          • Frank
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 5, 2007
              Although we are ahead of the Browns in every catagory (offense,
              defense, points for and against), their opponents have a record of 8-
              8. Much better than the 4-12 record of our opponents. But I do
              believe that the strength of schedule difference is largely
              overshadowed by the point differential. We've outscored opponents by
              25 points per game. The Browns have actually been outscored by their
              opponents by a couple points per game.

              Considering our lethal #2 ranked offense, and their woeful #31
              defense, It's easy to see another 20+ point win. I'm not sold on the
              return of Jamal Lewis, and Winslow is fighting with a shoulder
              problem. Braylon Edwards is a legitimate threat, but BB has
              consistently been able to take away an opponents most viable weapon,
              and force them to go elsewhere.

              One must also consider a rookie QB facing a Belichick D for the
              first time. I'm sure Romeo has been schooling him all week on what
              to expect, but BB is well aware of that, and will have some
              interesting wrinkles for the kid.

              Well, they broke the string of 38's last week, so here my
              prediction... Pats - 41, Browns - 23

              fdb

              --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...>