Re: [patriotzip] RE: Browns best test yet?

  • Kevin Morgan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
      I agree with George.  I don't think the Browns have really accomplished anything significant or substantial.  Is this a possible trap game?  You could think that, but since the Pats are so much better than most of the NFL, you could call every game a trap game.  Just remember that BB knows how to prepare his team.  Romeo may know some of Bill's tendencies, but the reverse is also true.  And as you pointed out, Rodney will be back for this game and is likely to play.

      George <patswingr@...> wrote:
      ***** Well, since you asked....

      ***** Let's start with the "big picture" facts. The Patriots D is rated #1
      in the NFL. The Browns at #29 or so. That #1 Patriots D will be challenged
      with stopping the #11 rated offense; while the Browns will, of course, be
      facing the #1 offense in the NFL, to date.

      ***** Details? Ya say ya want details? OK. Let's take a look at the Browns O
      versus the Pats D. The Browns will put a rookie up against a defensive
      minded HC who is notorious for chewing up rookies with his confusing
      schemes. Granted that the Browns HC will try to school the kid for what to
      expect, since he is very familiar with Belichick's thought process. But no
      amount of blackboard work, Polaroid photos, or practice field emulation can
      prepare a young kid for what the Patriots will throw at him when the whistle
      blows.

      ***** The Browns top RB, Jamal Lewis, is no longer a top 10 guy. He's older,
      slower, and at least a little less powerful. The RBs with the best chance of
      hurting the Pats D are the quicker guys, who can dart around and past some
      of our aging LBs. Lewis is a straight ahead guy. Straight ahead of him will
      be the best front 7 in the NFL at stopping that type of running game. Oh,
      and a guy named Harrison is returning with a chip on his shoulder. He has
      been known to make things a bit difficult for RBs.

      ***** Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow are genuine receiving threats. But
      Winslow is certainly no more difficult to defend against than Antonio Gates.
      And Edwards is best, as you noted, Randy, at going deep. A checking defense,
      with confusing blitzes coming at the kid QB, will likely put a severe limit
      on the number of opportunities for such deep passes to be thrown, let alone
      to succeed.

      ***** Going the other way, the Browns D has allowed 427 total yards per
      game, 31st in the league. They've yielded 160 ypg rushing, which is 30th in
      the league; and 267 ypg passing, also 30th in the league. They have a total
      of 3 INTs, tied for 17th, and 4 sacks, tied for 27th. Opposing QBs have a
      passing rating of 101.2 against them, which is 27th. So they're pretty well
      rounded, defensively. They are equally inept in just about every department!
      :-)

      ***** Meanwhile, the Patriots offense ...aww, hell, why post the well known
      capabilities of that group here? It's a waste of everybody's time.

      ***** Let's just say that I see only two things that can possibly keep the
      Browns from being the 5th consecutive team to lose to the Patriots by more
      than 20 points. The first is the remote possibility that the players will
      have a letdown after streaking past the expected challenges from the
      Chargers and Bengals. The human mind is difficult to predict or control; and
      old man arrogance has got to be pounding on the door to the complacency
      closet in the backs of our players minds. The second "life raft" for the
      Browns to cling to is the equally remote possibility that BB will be a
      little conservative on both sides of the ball to avoid embarrassing his
      friend and protégé, Romeo. I have no doubt that BB has a lot of respect for
      Romeo; and likely as close to a feeling of affection as he has within him.

      ***** So that's it. I just don't see the Browns with any realistic chance,
      barring those psychological and emotional factors. Physically, the Patriots
      are better in every way. Then we add the fact that the game will be played
      in Gillette Stadium, in front of fans that will be in super-hyped mode to
      keep the unbeaten streak alive. Fans, I might add, that the Patriots players
      truly appreciate, and want to please.

      ***** The final, as I see it, will be Patriots ...umm ... 38 (had to do it)
      - Browns 13. (And it could be much worse for the Browns.) I see at least 5
      sacks of Anderson; and at least 2 INTs. The kid is going to get his official
      "Welcome to the NFL!" I honestly believe that the Patriots could win this
      game by 50 points if they went all out for 4 quarters.

      George
      Dogs have masters ... Cats have staff!

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007

        The Browns have shown themselves to have a pretty solid offense that can handle a mediocre defense easily.  I think their offense may provide our defense with a challenge but I think our defense is more than up to that challenge.  Their defense however leaves a lot to be desired.  But they have a wildcard in Romeo Crennel.  Not only is he a solid defensive coach but he knows Belichick well.  If we are not careful this could easily lead to a trap game.  Our team needs to establish themselves early.  We need to score on our first drive and we need to stop them on their first drive to establish the tempo of the game.  If we can do this I think we can beat them into submission and dominate the game.  If we do not do this we may find ourselves trying to catch up with the proverbial run away train.

        Don

      • David Brunat

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
            Go Cougars!

            "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@sprynet. com> wrote:
[...]

            Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007

              While this team is arguably our best test yet the reality is they too have a flaw we can and will exploit.

              Which flaw is that?

              If they fail to get pressure on Brady he will pick them apart

              That's more of a feature on us than a flaw on them.  In fact it's why I think from my preview that Romeo will try to exploit us hard up the middle.  Washington is mamoth over Kopen's bum ankle and while our Guards are solid support they may try to flood us there to move Tom and bat down the lanes of middle slants while risking the runs outside.  They have some pass rush capability but right now our line and Brady make it very tough to get at him from the outside.

              we've played.  I look at what Cincy did to them a few weeks ago and shudder to think what we may accomplish.  I think

              Cinci lost to them...
              but I get your point.  THough we didn't torch a very bad Cinci defense so that doesn't entirely hold true.

              Still predicts a solid win and no doubt this is only the best test yet (if that) as the Cowboys, Colts and Steelers will be better tests eventually.  We aren't there yet though...

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                ***** Randy, I have 2 counters to your concern about the potential for
                pressure on Brady from the Browns. (One of these I mentioned to you
                off-list, so apologies for the repeat.) First is the fact that your emphasis
                on the power of Ted Washington ignores the fact that he is not likely to be
                out there on the majority of the Browns D snaps. He's 39 years old, and,
                according to the stats shown on ESPN, has only 6 tackles, and no sacks, in 4
                games. That tells me that he's probably playing only on "running downs" to
                stuff the middle. The second point is that the Pats have shown that they
                will quickly respond to pressure up the middle by going to 2 RBs, or an
                extra TE/H-Back who moves to the middle at the snap, as they did against the
                Bengals.

                ***** I do not believe that the Browns will put an exceptionally effective
                rush on Brady. Most of their pass rushing success has come from their LBs.
                BB is certainly aware of that, and will have our TEs and RBs prepared to
                focus on picking them up. Thus far, the team has done a better job of
                picking up blitzes than any BB team I can recall. And then there's that
                "reduction in O-Holding calls" that was mentioned by someone earlier!

                George
                "I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom
                Brady)

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007

                  From: George
                  according to the stats shown on ESPN, has only 6 tackles, and no sacks, in 4
                  games. That tells me that he's probably playing only on "running downs" to
                  stuff the middle.

                  ** No doubt he's playing less than i other days but stats from the nose tackle aren't the best measure as it's not the stat position, it opens things for the others around to exploit more than doing the exploiting.

                  The second point is that the Pats have shown that they
                  will quickly respond to pressure up the middle by going to 2 RBs, or an
                  extra TE/H-Back who moves to the middle at the snap, as they did against the
                  Bengals.

                  **  **  Very likely and were I the opposition this would be what I'd like to force otu of them.  Brady had most of his incompletions from this formation against the Bengals (according to Reiss) and in general it is the poison I'd pick if I had to scheme against the Pats with that Browns defense.

                  Definitely our best protection scheme in many years and that makes me more convinced that it isn't going to reach us from the outside.  Better rushers have already failed trying that approach.

                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 5, 2007
                    Although we are ahead of the Browns in every catagory (offense,
                    defense, points for and against), their opponents have a record of 8-
                    8. Much better than the 4-12 record of our opponents. But I do
                    believe that the strength of schedule difference is largely
                    overshadowed by the point differential. We've outscored opponents by
                    25 points per game. The Browns have actually been outscored by their
                    opponents by a couple points per game.

                    Considering our lethal #2 ranked offense, and their woeful #31
                    defense, It's easy to see another 20+ point win. I'm not sold on the
                    return of Jamal Lewis, and Winslow is fighting with a shoulder
                    problem. Braylon Edwards is a legitimate threat, but BB has
                    consistently been able to take away an opponents most viable weapon,
                    and force them to go elsewhere.

                    One must also consider a rookie QB facing a Belichick D for the
                    first time. I'm sure Romeo has been schooling him all week on what
                    to expect, but BB is well aware of that, and will have some
                    interesting wrinkles for the kid.

                    Well, they broke the string of 38's last week, so here my
                    prediction... Pats - 41, Browns - 23

                    fdb

                    --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...>