Re: [patriotzip] Rule clarification on Completion to Mankins

  • sean carmichael
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
      Brady was hit as he was brining his arm forward for a pass, ala the "tuck rule", instead of going down, the ball went up, Mankins stepped forward and caught the ball to keep it from being caught by a Bengal, then took a knee to keep from being stripped of it, it was ruled a forward pass, so it was an illegal touch

      "RandyZ. Pierce" <alaric02@...> wrote:
      Brady had a completion to Mankins for -9 yards in which I'm told the ball was knocked out of his hands.  Doesn't that prevent the illegal touching rule?  If the pass was not forward (which I was also told) then isn't it a lateral and not a completion anyhow?

      It shows up in the stats as a completion, there was a penalty that I presumed owuld have nullified it and yet it seems like it was knocked out of his hands by the defender anyhow to be a fumble - unless some tuck rule application was in effect.

      can anyone clarify for me what happened on that play?

    • Don Diamant
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007

        If his arm was coming forward then the ball would have tumbled in front of Brady unless it struck something which could possibly cause it to be redirected, possibly backwards, but up and back 27 feet?  I watched the replay closely and I saw his arm hit while it was moving back not forward.  But its all meaningless now, as officially it is a forward pass and illegally touched by Mankins though I doubt he is being told by the coaching staff to not do it again.  I still feel that it was a good call on Mankins part.

        Don