RE: [patriotzip] Rule clarification on Completion to Mankins

  • Don Diamant
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007

      I can tell you what I saw.  Brady was hit while his arm was moving back and lost the ball.  The ball flew up and backwards.  Mankins correctly assumed that it was a fumble and took possession of the ball.  He put his knee down but probably should have tried to get it to at least the line of scrimmage.  The officials determined it to be a forward pass despite the ball careening back behind Brady and despite that his arm never went forward so they ruled illegal touching, an error on their part.

      Don Diamant

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007

          If his arm was coming forward then the ball would have tumbled in front of Brady unless it struck something which could possibly cause it to be redirected, possibly backwards, but up and back 27 feet?  I watched the replay closely and I saw his arm hit while it was moving back not forward.  But its all meaningless now, as officially it is a forward pass and illegally touched by Mankins though I doubt he is being told by the coaching staff to not do it again.  I still feel that it was a good call on Mankins part.

          Don